Posted to alt.food.barbeque,alt.home.repair
Mike

Default Fixing up an cast aluminum grill . . . .

JKleisli wrote:

Hi, I am fixing up an old gas grill that came with my house. I already
painted the outside and replaced the burners and its great so far. But on
the inside of the grill covers, besides the grease, there was a black
coating they had on them that was peeling. So I took a sander to them and
the inside is down to bare alimunum. Is it alright to leave it that way or
should they be treated some how? I'm hesistant to paint them just because
the high heat paint I used on the outside says it shouldn't be used on
surface that comes in direct contact with flame (although the covers might
not get that much contact with flame I suppose). Any advice would be
appreciated.

I seem to recall that Weber has indicated that this peeling black
coating on the inside cover was burnt grease / smoke. And could be
cleaned, but sanding down to bare metal was not necessary.

-Mike