Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Patterson

Default Filling or covering voids in cast aluminum?

My motorcycle has 5-spoke cast-aluminum wheels (like this:
http://home.alltel.net/flipr/images/02blast_02.jpg).

On the right side of the bike they look OK. On the left side they look
like the one in the picture with hollows which are difficult to keep
clean.

I was thinking of figuring out some way to fill or cover these voids,
hopefully without creating balancing nightmares.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Mike

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
scruttocks

Mike Patterson wrote:
My motorcycle has 5-spoke cast-aluminum wheels (like this:
http://home.alltel.net/flipr/images/02blast_02.jpg).

On the right side of the bike they look OK. On the left side they look
like the one in the picture with hollows which are difficult to keep
clean.

I was thinking of figuring out some way to fill or cover these voids,
hopefully without creating balancing nightmares.

snip

I have the same problem with my k1200rs wheels, FS365 fixes the problem,
it's surfactant and mineral oil in a water base, spray it on after
washing the bike and it stops the crap sticking and it stops corrosion.

http://www.scottoiler.com/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=85&idcategory=9

--
scruttocks
k12rs r80g/s
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Patterson

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 19:28:05 +0000, scruttocks
wrote:

Mike Patterson wrote:
My motorcycle has 5-spoke cast-aluminum wheels (like this:
http://home.alltel.net/flipr/images/02blast_02.jpg).

On the right side of the bike they look OK. On the left side they look
like the one in the picture with hollows which are difficult to keep
clean.

I was thinking of figuring out some way to fill or cover these voids,
hopefully without creating balancing nightmares.

snip

I have the same problem with my k1200rs wheels, FS365 fixes the problem,
it's surfactant and mineral oil in a water base, spray it on after
washing the bike and it stops the crap sticking and it stops corrosion.

http://www.scottoiler.com/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=85&idcategory=9

Thanks for the idea, I'm in the USA, but I'm sure I can find or make
something similar.