Painting straight line at top of wall and ceiling?

Old February 22nd 06, 03:49 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting straight line at top of wall and ceiling?

How do you keep the painted line straight at the top of the wall next to the
ceiling?

Masking with tape doesn't work for me. Using a shield looked like crap.
Cutting in freehand with a brush is the best I can do and it still looks
bad.

Any tricks?

Old February 22nd 06, 04:21 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message

Cutting in freehand with a brush is the best I can do and it still looks
bad.

Any tricks?

Practice.

Always paint the ceiling first.

Next you cut in using a good quality brush. Load the brush and start about
an inch away from the ceiling. As you pull the brush across, you bring it
to the ceiling line and just drag it straight across. As the brush runs
dry, pull it down and away.
Stand high enough on a ladder to get a fairly straight line of sight. When
you've done four or five feet, get down and go to a normal seated spot in
the room and it will look just fine from there. It is also better to be
slightly shy of the ceiling rather than go up on to it as it is less visible
that way.

Practice inside a closet first.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Old February 22nd 06, 04:27 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Oscar_Lives wrote:
How do you keep the painted line straight at the top of the wall next to the
ceiling?

Masking with tape doesn't work for me. Using a shield looked like crap.
Cutting in freehand with a brush is the best I can do and it still looks
bad.

Any tricks?

Wallpaper.

--
Thank you,

Old February 22nd 06, 04:30 AM posted to alt.home.repair

The part about not letting wall color up on to the ceiling is
important, I find. Better to let the white from the ceiling white go
just slightly down onto the walls.

Just from experimenting, I find that the same rule is important for
trim around windows, trim along the floor, etc. It has to do with which
color is darker, how the natural or artificial light will hit the area,
etc., I suppose. But in any case, in most of my rooms, letting the wall
paint go slightly onto the trim always looks much better than the
reverse. In other cases, it needs to be the reverse or it looks like
crap.

Old February 22nd 06, 05:06 AM posted to alt.home.repair

And painters who have finally come out of the closet - well,
nevermind.....

Old February 22nd 06, 07:09 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

Good advice and a clear description. I use an angled sash brush for
most of my painting. It holds slightly less paint, but the tip comes
to a point naturally and makes it easier to control the line of paint.
Depending on how heavily the brush is loaded and the viscosity of the
paint (I rarely thin paint and just deal with it as is), I may run the
first brush stroke a 1/4" away from the ceiling line and leave a little
rope of paint. On the next stroke I'll push that rope of paint up to
the ceiling line. I find it easier to lay the paint on with the first
stroke and finesse it into place with the second. One other trick is
to kind of shake your hand a little bit as you draw the paint along the
cut in line. It deposits more paint and fills in any little
imperfections better than if you just drew the brush along.

Eventually you'll find that cutting in is enjoyable (as long as there's
not too much of it).

Old February 22nd 06, 11:52 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Oscar_Lives wrote:
How do you keep the painted line straight at the top of the wall next to the
ceiling?

Masking with tape doesn't work for me. Using a shield looked like crap.
Cutting in freehand with a brush is the best I can do and it still looks
bad.

Any tricks?

Because of the way the joints between the walls and ceilings are
finished (tape and spackle), there never is an absolutely sharp corner,
so there is usually a paint overlap at the joint, either on the wall or
ceiling. If it bothers you that much, bring the ceiling color down a
bit onto the walls and use a wallpaper border, or just install crown
moulding.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old February 22nd 06, 12:45 PM posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com, kevin
says...

The part about not letting wall color up on to the ceiling is
important, I find. Better to let the white from the ceiling white go
just slightly down onto the walls.

Just from experimenting, I find that the same rule is important for
trim around windows, trim along the floor, etc. It has to do with which
color is darker, how the natural or artificial light will hit the area,
etc., I suppose. But in any case, in most of my rooms, letting the wall
paint go slightly onto the trim always looks much better than the
reverse. In other cases, it needs to be the reverse or it looks like
crap.

Yes. With the exception of one room where I have painted trim and a textured
wallpaper, I bring the wall color up the sides of the trim pieces onto the trim.
When I did bring the wall paint only up to the trim, the trim color 'shines' a
bit onto the wall next to it. Doesn't look right.

Banty

Old February 22nd 06, 01:47 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 03:49:07 GMT, "Oscar_Lives"
wrote:

How do you keep the painted line straight at the top of the wall next to the
ceiling?

Masking with tape doesn't work for me. Using a shield looked like crap.
Cutting in freehand with a brush is the best I can do and it still looks
bad.

Any tricks?

Professional painters and decorators will tell you that the line is
much more important than the overlap. Most people worry so much about
the overlap that they don't concentrate on the line. For wall to
ceiling stay about 1/8" below the ceiling and just pull a wet,
straight line. You will never "see" the 1/8"

Purdy or Woosters, or equal if you believe there is one, best trim
brush. Expensive but worth it.
Old February 22nd 06, 01:54 PM posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour I could not have said it better myself! Lay a layer of paint
on first leaving a little rope of paint and then go back over it. A
paint brush will slide easier on an already wet painted surface than on
a dry surface thus giving you better control.