Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

Default Painting straight line at top of wall and ceiling?

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message
How do you keep the painted line straight at the top of the wall next to
the ceiling?

Masking with tape doesn't work for me. Using a shield looked like crap.
Cutting in freehand with a brush is the best I can do and it still looks
bad.

Any tricks?

Buy a good brush. I like one that is one inch wide with tapered bristles
and an angled head.

When you put the paint on the brush, wipe off the paint that is on the side
of the brush that will go up.

Have your ladder in the right position. This is a trial and error thing.
You will know what it is for YOU when you feel that you are comfortably
pulling the brush in a straight line.

Start a little below the line you want to end up with and stroke slightly
upward to the line you want to make.

A good brush with the right bristles and angle that is properly loaded with
paint will lay down a beautiful line as straight as you are steady.

It just takes practice.

And better is the enemy of good. If you just get it good, leave it alone
and go on. Don't keep trying to make the same spot better because you are
just laying down more paint. Let it go and come back. Look at it from eye
level, and see if you can notice if by looking at it from six feet away. If
you can, try to straighten it. If you can't notice it from a distance,
leave it alone.

Just a few things I learned from doing a lot of wall/ceiling transitions.

Steve