Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage door opener with dip switchs

Can anyone tell me how(if possible) to program a garage door door opener with dip switches to a unit without them?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 7, 2019 at 10:04:36 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Can anyone tell me how(if possible) to program a garage door door opener with dip switches to a unit without them?

I think the answer is you can't. The dip switch type was the old designs
that used the switches to set a freq. With ten switches you'd get 1000
codes, not much security there, your neighbor could happen to pick the
same codes or a thief could try them until he finds the right one.
The newer ones using pseudo random keys and are far more secure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 19:30:46 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Monday, October 7, 2019 at 10:04:36 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Can anyone tell me how(if possible) to program a garage door door opener with dip switches to a unit without them?

I think the answer is you can't. The dip switch type was the old designs
that used the switches to set a freq. With ten switches you'd get 1000
codes, not much security there, your neighbor could happen to pick the
same codes or a thief could try them until he finds the right one.
The newer ones using pseudo random keys and are far more secure.

Trader is right. There are a **** load of different garage door
remotes. I just spent about 40 minutes getting educated myself. I was
trying to match up 5 different Sears remotes and it turns out I have 4
different styles and they all look identical but they are not
interchangeable. These are also the kind without switches.

If it turns out you can use a Liftmaster/ Craftsman/Sears 139.53879 I
have one I will send you. It won't work with anything I have.
This is a fairly good resource. They do other brands
https://dooropenersandmore.com/remot...ftsman-remotes
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 7, 2019 at 10:30:51 PM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, October 7, 2019 at 10:04:36 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Can anyone tell me how(if possible) to program a garage door door opener with dip switches to a unit without them?

I think the answer is you can't. The dip switch type was the old designs
that used the switches to set a freq. With ten switches you'd get 1000
codes, not much security there, your neighbor could happen to pick the
same codes or a thief could try them until he finds the right one.
The newer ones using pseudo random keys and are far more secure.

My neighbor's garage door batteries died and I reprogrammed the remotes for her. or maybe the receiver for it.

Unfortunately it's been a while and memory is hazy. And I wish I'd saved the web site I found that told me how. But basically the opener receiver was not just brand and model but date specific. If installed before a different date there was a different way to program it. Like a cable box it learned the remote, but only by pushing something not intuitive in the right order.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 Oct 2019 11:55:51 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

[...]

It still has to be on the right frequency and using the right
protocol. There are some "universal" remotes that do a few different
protocols but the frequency is usually fixed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 19:04:32 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Can anyone tell me how(if possible) to program a garage door door opener with dip switches to a unit without them?

Not possible. 2 totally different technologies.