Posted to alt.home.repair
TimR[_2_] TimR[_2_] is offline

Default Garage door opener with dip switchs

On Monday, October 7, 2019 at 10:30:51 PM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, October 7, 2019 at 10:04:36 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Can anyone tell me how(if possible) to program a garage door door opener with dip switches to a unit without them?

I think the answer is you can't. The dip switch type was the old designs
that used the switches to set a freq. With ten switches you'd get 1000
codes, not much security there, your neighbor could happen to pick the
same codes or a thief could try them until he finds the right one.
The newer ones using pseudo random keys and are far more secure.

My neighbor's garage door batteries died and I reprogrammed the remotes for her. or maybe the receiver for it.

Unfortunately it's been a while and memory is hazy. And I wish I'd saved the web site I found that told me how. But basically the opener receiver was not just brand and model but date specific. If installed before a different date there was a different way to program it. Like a cable box it learned the remote, but only by pushing something not intuitive in the right order.