Arco

Default How to fix New Vinyl dougle-hung windows?

Hi,

My landlord replaced our old leaky windows with new vinyl double-hung
windows. Now a few years later, a few of the windows no long will stay
open. I can see a piece of twisted metal that looks as if it has sprung
loose at its base.

Is this a difficult fix? I'm pretty handy but I can't quite figure this
one out..

any help appreciated.

Clark Griswold

"Arco" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

My landlord replaced our old leaky windows with new vinyl double-hung
windows. Now a few years later, a few of the windows no long will stay
open. I can see a piece of twisted metal that looks as if it has sprung
loose at its base.

Is this a difficult fix? I'm pretty handy but I can't quite figure this
one out..

any help appreciated.

Find out who made the window, they may be still under warranty. A phone call
or an email from their web site might get you the parts you need for free.
Take the balance off and replace it with the new one.

But, this is the landlord's responsibility. Make the call.

Greetings Arco,

The cost may NOT be your landlord's responsibility. Look at your
lease. If the window is only a few years old it is likely damaged, not
worn out. Damages are often the responsibility of the tenant (even if
someone else throws a rock through your window.) The landlord gets the
money from the tenant. The tenant is then in turn responsible for
collecting the money from the responsible party. It all depends on
your lease.

Hope this helps,
William

calhoun

"Arco" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

My landlord replaced our old leaky windows with new vinyl double-hung
windows. Now a few years later, a few of the windows no long will stay
open. I can see a piece of twisted metal that looks as if it has sprung
loose at its base.

Is this a difficult fix? I'm pretty handy but I can't quite figure this
one out..

any help appreciated.

Did you try the tilt to clean feature? I have had many call backs because
the new owners tilted the sash down to clean and twisted the sash while it
was tilted. This pulls the sash pin out of the spring retainer. This only
happens on the inexpensive spring balance windows. Easy fix if this is the
case. Just reinstall the sash pin into the spring end, by having one side
lower than the other.

josh

"Arco" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

My landlord replaced our old leaky windows with new vinyl double-hung
windows. Now a few years later, a few of the windows no long will stay
open. I can see a piece of twisted metal that looks as if it has sprung
loose at its base.

Is this a difficult fix? I'm pretty handy but I can't quite figure this
one out..

any help appreciated.

These windows have the spiral balance, which are used in cheaper windows,
each spiral is adjustable and is a major PITA to adjust correctly. Better
windows have a constant force balancing system which never needs adjusted.

The spiral should have a small pin going through it, it forms a "t". Figure
out which side of the window has the least amount of resistance, unhook the
"t", it should just snap out of place. Turn the spiral clockwise to
increase tension, only do one turn at a time and see if the window stays in
place. Be aware, you may have to remove the sash in order to adjust the
spiral.