david

this link shows how to adjust the tension
http://www.jeld-wen.com/_pdf/SWD009.pdf

"josh" wrote in message

"Arco" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

My landlord replaced our old leaky windows with new vinyl double-hung
windows. Now a few years later, a few of the windows no long will stay
open. I can see a piece of twisted metal that looks as if it has sprung
loose at its base.

Is this a difficult fix? I'm pretty handy but I can't quite figure this
one out..

any help appreciated.

These windows have the spiral balance, which are used in cheaper windows,
each spiral is adjustable and is a major PITA to adjust correctly. Better
windows have a constant force balancing system which never needs adjusted.

The spiral should have a small pin going through it, it forms a "t".
Figure
out which side of the window has the least amount of resistance, unhook
the
"t", it should just snap out of place. Turn the spiral clockwise to
increase tension, only do one turn at a time and see if the window stays
in
place. Be aware, you may have to remove the sash in order to adjust the
spiral.