A/C A-coil drip pan leaking

Old July 22nd 05, 08:34 AM
JOHN D

Default A/C A-coil drip pan leaking

My A/C A-coil drip pan is leaking leaking water. It's in the attic. Not a
good place for a water leak. I know there's a bunch of rust scale in the pan
cus I just cleaned everything else and inspected the A-coil to check it. I
didn't clean the pan cus it's so hard to get into. Maybe I'll get lucky and
it's just a plugged drain but I don't think so. It might be impossible to
get at the leak but if I can get at it, what do you HVAC guys use to patch
up a rusted leaking drip pan?
John

Old July 22nd 05, 08:57 AM
Richard J Kinch

JOHN D writes:

It might be impossible to
get at the leak but if I can get at it, what do you HVAC guys use to
patch up a rusted leaking drip pan?

A new air handler.
Old July 22nd 05, 09:03 AM
meirman

In alt.home.repair on Fri, 22 Jul 2005 06:34:20 GMT "JOHN D"
posted:

My A/C A-coil drip pan is leaking leaking water. It's in the attic. Not a
good place for a water leak. I know there's a bunch of rust scale in the pan
cus I just cleaned everything else and inspected the A-coil to check it. I
didn't clean the pan cus it's so hard to get into. Maybe I'll get lucky and
it's just a plugged drain but I don't think so. It might be impossible to
get at the leak but if I can get at it, what do you HVAC guys use to patch
up a rusted leaking drip pan?
John

I'm not an HVAC guy, and I'm sure there are better ways, but in
general it's goodto know that PC-70 can be put on a wet material and
still stick. I was only a temporary roommate of a tenant whom I
didn't know in advance, but I once fixed a sink drain with a hole and
a faucet that wouldn't stop dripping, with PC-70, while water was
coming out of the hole. I had to keep pushing the stuff back in place
but eventually it hardened and stayed there, and didn't leak.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.
Old July 22nd 05, 12:25 PM
Dr. Hardcrab

"JOHN D" wrote in message
My A/C A-coil drip pan is leaking leaking water. It's in the attic. Not a
good place for a water leak. I know there's a bunch of rust scale in the
pan
cus I just cleaned everything else and inspected the A-coil to check it.
didn't clean the pan cus it's so hard to get into. Maybe I'll get lucky
and
it's just a plugged drain but I don't think so. It might be impossible to
get at the leak but if I can get at it, what do you HVAC guys use to patch
up a rusted leaking drip pan?
John

As the Kinch man said: a new air handler. At the least, a new coil. That is
unless a new drain pan can be ordered. Sure they make some caulk that will
plug a leak (even under water! Why, you can even glue your helmet to a steel
beam and suspend yourself 50 feet in the air!!!), but you'll just end up
with another leak elsewhere, and I GUARANTEE it will happen when you least
expect it (while you are on vacation and your ceiling ends up on the floor).
Go ahead and patch it for now, but i would plan on replacing it before
something major happens...

Old July 22nd 05, 02:57 PM
[email protected]

"JOHN D" wrote in message
My A/C A-coil drip pan is leaking leaking water. It's in the attic. Not a
good place for a water leak. I know there's a bunch of rust scale in the

pan
cus I just cleaned everything else and inspected the A-coil to check it.

didn't clean the pan cus it's so hard to get into. Maybe I'll get lucky

and
it's just a plugged drain but I don't think so. It might be impossible to
get at the leak but if I can get at it, what do you HVAC guys use to patch
up a rusted leaking drip pan?
John

Depends, best case, a new pan, worst case, new air handler, or coil. Depends
on the situation, and how extensive the damage, if any, is.

Old July 22nd 05, 04:37 PM
Edwin Pawlowski

"JOHN D" wrote in message
My A/C A-coil drip pan is leaking leaking water. It's in the attic. Not a
good place for a water leak. I know there's a bunch of rust scale in the
pan
cus I just cleaned everything else and inspected the A-coil to check it.
didn't clean the pan cus it's so hard to get into. Maybe I'll get lucky
and
it's just a plugged drain but I don't think so. It might be impossible to
get at the leak but if I can get at it, what do you HVAC guys use to patch
up a rusted leaking drip pan?
John

Worst case scenario is you clean the pan and lay up fiberglass and resin
just like they do to make a boat or shower stall. Could very well be a
clogged drain.

Old July 25th 05, 09:57 PM
JOHN D

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
JOHN D writes:

It might be impossible to
get at the leak but if I can get at it, what do you HVAC guys use to
patch up a rusted leaking drip pan?

A new air handler.

I just ordered a new drain pan for $8

No drip cap above casement windows on side of building, is this normal? jay Home Repair 4 May 2nd 05 06:28 PM
Ignition coil Backlash Metalworking 16 December 7th 04 04:40 AM
Coil Nailers - Nail Compatibility Robert Thompson Home Repair 0 October 12th 04 06:52 PM
gutter drip edge problems wgadsby Home Repair 1 October 24th 03 11:26 AM
Rewinding pc coil for 9-1270 Zenith boards ?? anyone know inductance? 9-1270-02 9-1270-3 mod# SR3587DT Dave Moore Electronics Repair 3 September 5th 03 12:25 AM