DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   A/C A-coil drip pan leaking (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/114266-c-coil-drip-pan-leaking.html)

JOHN D July 22nd 05 08:34 AM

A/C A-coil drip pan leaking

My A/C A-coil drip pan is leaking leaking water. It's in the attic. Not a
good place for a water leak. I know there's a bunch of rust scale in the pan
cus I just cleaned everything else and inspected the A-coil to check it. I
didn't clean the pan cus it's so hard to get into. Maybe I'll get lucky and
it's just a plugged drain but I don't think so. It might be impossible to
get at the leak but if I can get at it, what do you HVAC guys use to patch
up a rusted leaking drip pan?
John

Richard J Kinch July 22nd 05 08:57 AM

JOHN D writes:

It might be impossible to
get at the leak but if I can get at it, what do you HVAC guys use to
patch up a rusted leaking drip pan?

A new air handler.

meirman July 22nd 05 09:03 AM

In alt.home.repair on Fri, 22 Jul 2005 06:34:20 GMT "JOHN D"
posted:

My A/C A-coil drip pan is leaking leaking water. It's in the attic. Not a
good place for a water leak. I know there's a bunch of rust scale in the pan
cus I just cleaned everything else and inspected the A-coil to check it. I
didn't clean the pan cus it's so hard to get into. Maybe I'll get lucky and
it's just a plugged drain but I don't think so. It might be impossible to
get at the leak but if I can get at it, what do you HVAC guys use to patch
up a rusted leaking drip pan?
John

I'm not an HVAC guy, and I'm sure there are better ways, but in
general it's goodto know that PC-70 can be put on a wet material and
still stick. I was only a temporary roommate of a tenant whom I
didn't know in advance, but I once fixed a sink drain with a hole and
a faucet that wouldn't stop dripping, with PC-70, while water was
coming out of the hole. I had to keep pushing the stuff back in place
but eventually it hardened and stayed there, and didn't leak.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.

Dr. Hardcrab July 22nd 05 12:25 PM

"JOHN D" wrote in message
My A/C A-coil drip pan is leaking leaking water. It's in the attic. Not a
good place for a water leak. I know there's a bunch of rust scale in the
pan
cus I just cleaned everything else and inspected the A-coil to check it.
didn't clean the pan cus it's so hard to get into. Maybe I'll get lucky
and
it's just a plugged drain but I don't think so. It might be impossible to
get at the leak but if I can get at it, what do you HVAC guys use to patch
up a rusted leaking drip pan?
John

As the Kinch man said: a new air handler. At the least, a new coil. That is
unless a new drain pan can be ordered. Sure they make some caulk that will
plug a leak (even under water! Why, you can even glue your helmet to a steel
beam and suspend yourself 50 feet in the air!!!), but you'll just end up
with another leak elsewhere, and I GUARANTEE it will happen when you least
expect it (while you are on vacation and your ceiling ends up on the floor).
Go ahead and patch it for now, but i would plan on replacing it before
something major happens...

[email protected] July 22nd 05 02:57 PM

"JOHN D" wrote in message
My A/C A-coil drip pan is leaking leaking water. It's in the attic. Not a
good place for a water leak. I know there's a bunch of rust scale in the

pan
cus I just cleaned everything else and inspected the A-coil to check it.

didn't clean the pan cus it's so hard to get into. Maybe I'll get lucky

and
it's just a plugged drain but I don't think so. It might be impossible to
get at the leak but if I can get at it, what do you HVAC guys use to patch
up a rusted leaking drip pan?
John

Depends, best case, a new pan, worst case, new air handler, or coil. Depends
on the situation, and how extensive the damage, if any, is.

Edwin Pawlowski July 22nd 05 04:37 PM

"JOHN D" wrote in message
My A/C A-coil drip pan is leaking leaking water. It's in the attic. Not a
good place for a water leak. I know there's a bunch of rust scale in the
pan
cus I just cleaned everything else and inspected the A-coil to check it.
didn't clean the pan cus it's so hard to get into. Maybe I'll get lucky
and
it's just a plugged drain but I don't think so. It might be impossible to
get at the leak but if I can get at it, what do you HVAC guys use to patch
up a rusted leaking drip pan?
John

Worst case scenario is you clean the pan and lay up fiberglass and resin
just like they do to make a boat or shower stall. Could very well be a
clogged drain.

JOHN D July 25th 05 09:57 PM

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
JOHN D writes:

It might be impossible to
get at the leak but if I can get at it, what do you HVAC guys use to
patch up a rusted leaking drip pan?

A new air handler.

I just ordered a new drain pan for $8