a66cobra1

Default Wiring ????

All,

I am having a new home built and the builder placed only 1 ceiling
mount for lighting in the kitchen. For some reason, I overlooked the
need for additional lighting via recessed or those fancy hanging lights
over the bar.

Any recommendations on how to add the appropriate wiring now? Any help
appreciated.

Thanks, Dan.

--
a66cobra1
a66cobra1's Profile: http://www.homeplot.com/member.php?userid=15

Tony Hwang

a66cobra1 wrote:
All,

I am having a new home built and the builder placed only 1 ceiling
mount for lighting in the kitchen. For some reason, I overlooked the
need for additional lighting via recessed or those fancy hanging lights
over the bar.

Any recommendations on how to add the appropriate wiring now? Any help
appreciated.

Thanks, Dan.

Hi,
How big is the kitchen? If ceiling is all done up no much can be done.
You can mount a track light bar or florescent fixture box.
Other than that, need soem work to install fancy lighting.
Good luck,
Tony
Speedy Jim

a66cobra1 wrote:

All,

I am having a new home built and the builder placed only 1 ceiling
mount for lighting in the kitchen. For some reason, I overlooked the
need for additional lighting via recessed or those fancy hanging lights
over the bar.

Any recommendations on how to add the appropriate wiring now? Any help
appreciated.

Thanks, Dan.

Could be code requirement. Fluorescent task lighting
is now a requirement in many areas. Talk to the builder.

Jim
RBM

Retro fit ceiling boxes like the Westinghouse 1100 can be installed from
below sheetrock through a 4inch round hole but the cable to the switch and
feed will probably require some notching . I'd talk to the electrician on
the job
"a66cobra1" wrote in message

All,

I am having a new home built and the builder placed only 1 ceiling
mount for lighting in the kitchen. For some reason, I overlooked the
need for additional lighting via recessed or those fancy hanging lights
over the bar.

Any recommendations on how to add the appropriate wiring now? Any help
appreciated.

Thanks, Dan.

--
a66cobra1
a66cobra1's Profile: http://www.homeplot.com/member.php?userid=15
View this thread: http://www.homeplot.com/showthread.php?t=55890

a66cobra1

That is where the main problem occurs. I guess I was wondering if it is
at all possible to "fish" the ceiling as home security installers do
when they go up and down the walls and such?

--
a66cobra1
a66cobra1's Profile: http://www.homeplot.com/member.php?userid=15
View this thread: http://www.homeplot.com/showthread.php?t=55890

Luke

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 21:28:08 -0400, a66cobra1
wrote:

That is where the main problem occurs. I guess I was wondering if it is
at all possible to "fish" the ceiling as home security installers do
when they go up and down the walls and such?

Sure. New electical boxes for outlets, lights, switches are installed
all the time in "old" construction by fishing wires. You may likely
need sheetrock patching and repainting after it's done, however.

BTW, it helps to quote at minimum the pertinent part of the post you
are responding to, as an aid to comprehension :-).

--
Luke
"And if there is a leak out of my administration, I want to know who
-- George W. Bush, September 30, 2003
Tim Fischer

There are some really nice looking newer "track lighting" styles that don't
look anything like the traditional track lighting. Home Depot has a few of
them -- if you have an IKEA near you they have many more. In these designs
the wiring is meant to be exposed -- and part of "the look".

-Tim

Brian

a66cobra1 wrote:
All,

I am having a new home built and the builder placed only 1 ceiling
mount for lighting in the kitchen. For some reason, I overlooked the
need for additional lighting via recessed or those fancy hanging lights
over the bar.

Any recommendations on how to add the appropriate wiring now? Any help
appreciated.

Thanks, Dan.

Done that...

Installed L shaped halos, and covered up nothes with crown molding.

Brian

No

Fishing wire is an art. Consider less than obvious routes. More wire but
easier fishing. For instance, run the wire into an adjacent utility room
and make your cross joist run there where imperfections in drywall will be
less important.

or remove some siding and sheething outside to run the wires. May actually
be easier depending on location and construction methods.

Did you take pictures of everything before the sheetrock went up?

"a66cobra1" wrote in message

All,

I am having a new home built and the builder placed only 1 ceiling
mount for lighting in the kitchen. For some reason, I overlooked the
need for additional lighting via recessed or those fancy hanging lights
over the bar.

Any recommendations on how to add the appropriate wiring now? Any help
appreciated.

Thanks, Dan.

--
a66cobra1
a66cobra1's Profile: http://www.homeplot.com/member.php?userid=15
View this thread: http://www.homeplot.com/showthread.php?t=55890

Don Young

I agree with the art of wire fishing. Rather than DIY, you would likely be
ahead if you can find a well experienced "old work" electrician. Don't
expect too much, as unforseen obstacles come up, but a good man can get a
wire from any point to any other point with a minimum of damage.
Don Young