Hamilton Audio

Default roof leaks - ideas?

My house has developed a roof leak. Asphalt shingled roof, approx 7 years
old and in good shape otherwise. Leak is in the rough vicinity of (actually
down about 4 feet and over a bit) from a bathroom fan hood.

I've had a professional roofing contractor over to repair the problem. He
came during our first real rain of the spring (when I first got the leak)
and patched some areas with "wet seal" while it was very wet and cold out.
He assured me that didn't matter.

5 weeks later (last week) we had a TORRENTIAL downpour. I checked the attic
about 8 hours later, and my towels and plastic (protecting the ceiling and
insulation) were definitely damp. Not sopping wet as anticipated. Also of
note is this "wet seal" product (initially black) is now turning a
brown/green colour...I'm not so sure thats normal.

Any ideas on where/how to look for this leak? Short of waiting for a good
downpour and taking the day off to send my father into the attic and "watch"
for the water (which is very difficult in this particular attic), what else
can I do? Is the repair going to be hit and miss? I'm not sure i fully
trust the garden-hose-soak method, as I can't see it being wide-spread
enough to duplicate a good rain-soaking.

Any roofers out there with some experience to share? Please?

bmoney

I'm told that the "wet seal" product really doesn't work very well when
applied in the cold and wet. Also considering the leak seems to have been
slowed up, I think we're on the right track...but how do you know?

tom

H A wrote:snip-Any ideas on where/how to look for this leak? I'm told
that the "wet seal" product really doesn't work very well when
applied in the cold and wet. Also considering the leak seems to have
been
slowed up, I think we're on the right track...but how do you know?

The type
of "roofer" who slapped a bucket of tar on your roof afforded me a nice
living for awhile! Shingles, 7 years old, I'm going with "bath fan
flashing should be redone or replaced". Tom

Edwin Pawlowski

"Hamilton Audio" wrote in message
My house has developed a roof leak. Asphalt shingled roof, approx 7 years
old and in good shape otherwise. Leak is in the rough vicinity of
(actually down about 4 feet and over a bit) from a bathroom fan hood.

Sort of like saying my umbrella is really in good shape except for the
missing cover.

One problem with roof leaks is that they often are a distance away from
where you see it. I'd take a look at the flashing around the fan for step
one as flashing is a common place to start. If that proves to be the
problem, you may have some good life left in the roof. Check for any
visible cracks that may have opened up. Bubbles and bulges are signs of
problems also.

There are some roof coatings that may buy you some time, but in general,
that time is a year or two. You'd be wise to start saving for a new hot
coating before long.

tom

It's not a flat deck, Ed. Tom

Norminn

clipped

Any ideas on where/how to look for this leak? Short of waiting for a good
downpour and taking the day off to send my father into the attic and "watch"
for the water (which is very difficult in this particular attic), what else

We helped a friend find the source of water running down a ceiling light
fixture. Popped plywood deck, not real obvious. In place of your
plastic and towels, lay newspaper over the plastic, wait for the next
rain, and check where the newspaper gets wet. Should be more visible.
That and paper towels is how I check for toilet leak ) Then, look
above and next to, where water might traverse a rafter before it drips.
Any tiny bulges where shingles and/or deck have lifted?

Did you have a lot of wind when leaks occurred? Wind driving rain under
vent hood? Ice dams just previous? Clogged gutters?

can I do? Is the repair going to be hit and miss? I'm not sure i fully
trust the garden-hose-soak method, as I can't see it being wide-spread
enough to duplicate a good rain-soaking.

Any roofers out there with some experience to share? Please?

bmoney

I'm told that the "wet seal" product really doesn't work very well when
applied in the cold and wet. Also considering the leak seems to have been
slowed up, I think we're on the right track...but how do you know?

Hamilton Audio

"Norminn" wrote in message

We helped a friend find the source of water running down a ceiling light
fixture. Popped plywood deck, not real obvious. In place of your plastic
and towels, lay newspaper over the plastic, wait for the next rain, and
check where the newspaper gets wet. Should be more visible. That and
paper towels is how I check for toilet leak ) Then, look above and next
to, where water might traverse a rafter before it drips. Any tiny bulges
where shingles and/or deck have lifted?

I was able to find what I believe is the spot. Just to the left of the
vent hood,
one section of sheathing board (i've got the tongue/groove kind) has split
somewhat
and a knot in the wood has fallen out. It is right from here that the water
drips.
The roofer commented its very common to have slight dips and peaks with
tongue/groove
sheathing as warping is pretty normal. There are no noticeablely huge dips
or warps tho.

Its actually interesting - there are intermittent spots on the roof where a
shingle has kind of
curled or blistered, and then a 10x10 area that is picture perfect. Then
another one somewhere
else....

Its pretty clear that the flashing around the vent hood is pooched. I'm
thinking that
when the roofer comes back, I'll just have him install a fresh vent for me,
something
a little taller. (sick of not using the fan cause its submerged in snow)
Though its interesting
since the roofer did pay attention to that particular hood, I can't really
tell if he hit the left
side or not.

Did you have a lot of wind when leaks occurred? Wind driving rain under
vent hood? Ice dams just previous? Clogged gutters?

No wind, gutters clear and perfectly clean. I had an ice dam in the
relative area,
but a year previous Below the vent hood actually, didn't realize the
low-slung
vent hood was melting snow that had submerged it...melt ran down and you
know the rest.

Hamilton Audio

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. ..

One problem with roof leaks is that they often are a distance away from
where you see it. I'd take a look at the flashing around the fan for step
one as flashing is a common place to start. If that proves to be the
problem, you may have some good life left in the roof. Check for any
visible cracks that may have opened up. Bubbles and bulges are signs of
problems also.

Upstream and across 1 joist in each direction there is NOTHING. No vents,
no chimney,
no penetrations of any kind, right to the peak. However, there is a vent
hood RIGHT BESIDE
where i've determined the water is coming in. I'm betting money its time
for a new
vent hood.

There are some roof coatings that may buy you some time, but in general,
that time is a year or two. You'd be wise to start saving for a new hot
coating before long.

This being a sloped and shingled roof, the above doesn't apply

Hamilton Audio

Leak found! It turns out that my problem was two-fold.

1. The vent hood for the bathroom fan was NOT NAILED DOWN. The roofer was
able to lift it almost off the roof with no effort! He replaced it and
nailed in the new one properly, and sealed it up good.

2. The PREVIOUS ROOFER, in his attempts to solve the problem, caused more
damage. Its a good thing I've got a few shingles left over! In
aggressively lifting up shingles looking for problems, he tore one badly -
right at the seam, where two others meet. Water was able to just walk right
in!

We had a substantial rain last nite and today things are dry - I'm a happy
camper! Goes to show you - be VERY careful about who works for you....the
"first guy" was from a very large outfit in our town, and it was GARBAGE!

bmoney