Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Julian

Default Tripped outdoor GFI outlet won't reset? Checked the usual suspects...

Did a search here, then searched around the inside of the house for any
other tripped gfi outlets. Didn't find any but reset them anyway.
Didn't find any tripped circuit breakers in the panel, but reset some I
thought might service the gfi outlet(can't read electrician's
descriptions of some of the breakers, musta been an MD in a former
life). I'm sure I've missed something. Do they ever just die? (gfi
outlets, not electricians....)

Doug Miller

In article om, "Julian" wrote:
Did a search here, then searched around the inside of the house for any
other tripped gfi outlets. Didn't find any but reset them anyway.
Didn't find any tripped circuit breakers in the panel, but reset some I
thought might service the gfi outlet(can't read electrician's
descriptions of some of the breakers, musta been an MD in a former
life). I'm sure I've missed something. Do they ever just die? (gfi
outlets, not electricians....)

Yes, they do.

Before you replace it, you're going to want to make sure you've killed the
right breaker... and that might be a bit tough. If it's tripped, and won't
reset, it doesn't do much good to plug a tester into it. Probably best to kill
the main breaker. Then, after you get it working again, find out which breaker
controls it, and label it. Good weekend project might be labelling *all* of
them.

--
Regards,

Rich Greenberg

In article om,
Julian wrote:
Did a search here, then searched around the inside of the house for any
other tripped gfi outlets. Didn't find any but reset them anyway.
Didn't find any tripped circuit breakers in the panel, but reset some I
thought might service the gfi outlet(can't read electrician's
descriptions of some of the breakers, musta been an MD in a former
life). I'm sure I've missed something. Do they ever just die? (gfi
outlets, not electricians....)

Depending on the model of the breaker, it is often not obvious by eye
that it has tripped. You have to switch it to the off position then
back on to reset it.

If you can open up the breaker panel, use a test light to determine if
any of the breakers do not have live power on thier output terminal.

CAREFULLY!!!!!!!

TKM

"Julian" wrote in message
ps.com...
Did a search here, then searched around the inside of the house for any
other tripped gfi outlets. Didn't find any but reset them anyway.
Didn't find any tripped circuit breakers in the panel, but reset some I
thought might service the gfi outlet(can't read electrician's
descriptions of some of the breakers, musta been an MD in a former
life). I'm sure I've missed something. Do they ever just die? (gfi
outlets, not electricians....)

The GFCI won't reset unless it has power coming in; so that's the first
thing to check. Can you just take the plate off and check that with a
tester? If there's no power, you have a circuit breaker or wiring problem.
If you have power at the input to the GFCI and it won't reset, chances are
it's faulty.

TKM

Julian

Electricity scares me, ever since I stuck my toddler's hand in
grandma's empty candle imitatiing lampsocket back in the forties. Of
course ever since then, I've had x-ray vision and can see the future.
I guess I could shut down the main and take a look. Thanks to all who
replied. julian

yes, i know, with my powers I don't need to fix it.....