Neil

Default RCD tripped & will not reset

Disaster has struck. For no apparent reason the RCD on my MK Senrty CU has
tripped. I cannot get it to reset which suggests to me that either a) the
DCD is knackered or b) there is a fault on the fixed wiring. I've tripped
all the MCB's to try to isolate the circuit with the fault but this has not
helped as even with all the MCB's to off the RCD will ot reset. Nobody in
the house was using/doing anything out of the ordinary when it tripped.
House was rewired 9 years ago.Any ideas ?

Neil

harrogate

"Neil" wrote in message
Disaster has struck. For no apparent reason the RCD on my MK Senrty CU has
tripped. I cannot get it to reset which suggests to me that either a) the
DCD is knackered or b) there is a fault on the fixed wiring. I've tripped
all the MCB's to try to isolate the circuit with the fault but this has

not
helped as even with all the MCB's to off the RCD will ot reset. Nobody in
the house was using/doing anything out of the ordinary when it tripped.
House was rewired 9 years ago.Any ideas ?

Neil

MCBs only switch off the supply, but there could still be current flow
neutral to earth.

Chances are however the RCD is stuffed (that's a technical term by the way.)

--
Woody

Christian McArdle

b) there is a fault on the fixed wiring. I've tripped all the MCB's
to try to isolate the circuit with the fault but this has not helped
as even with all the MCB's to off the RCD will ot reset.

Disconnect the load bus bar and load neutral from the RCD. If it doesn't
reset now, then the RCD is definitely off to silicon heaven. As it trips
with all MCBs off, I suspect this is the likely cause, although it is by no
means guaranteed.

Christian.

Neil

"Will Cooke" wrote in message
om...
Disaster has struck. For no apparent reason the RCD on my MK Senrty CU

has
tripped.

I had a similar problem that had me baffled for about a week. I turned

out
the shower was leaking down the wall into a conduit and down in to the

socket
for the cooker hood in the kitchen.

HTH,

Thanks for all the pointers guys. Now sorted - it was a neutral - earth leak
caused when my wife hung a very heavy picture on a copper panel pin she had
inserted through the 1.5mm T&E feed to a wall light ! Clearly when I asked
if anyone had been doing anything when the power went off I should have been
more specific !! Took 2 hours to trace.

Neil