Electronics (alt.electronics)

Posted to alt.electronics

Default Just gutted a microwave oven

What goodies do I have?

Posted to alt.electronics

Father Haskell wrote:
What goodies do I have?

bits of a dead microwave lol.
Posted to alt.electronics

On 2006-12-23, Father Haskell wrote:
What goodies do I have?

A large and potentially deadly transformer, a magnetron which includes a
moderately strong magnet, a nigh high-voltage capacitor, and a high
voltage diode, sundry microswitches from the safety interlock, possibly
an electric clock. possibly a clockwork timer. possibly a slow motor
(if yours was a turntable model) or used to drive a mirror-ball that
can be hand-cranked to produce quite a bit of AC voltage (enough to
make flourescent lamps glow in my case). an electric fan,
a glass platter, and a box with a glass door that'll shield stuff
from microwaves.

Bye.
Jasen
Posted to alt.electronics

On 2006-12-23, Father Haskell wrote:
What goodies do I have?

A large and potentially deadly transformer,

Heavy chunk of steel, should have a decent VA rating. What's
the output?

a magnetron which includes a moderately strong magnet,

Looks like it'd make a cool looking prop death ray. How strong
are the magnets? They might be useful in my shop someplace.

a nigh high-voltage capacitor,

1 uf, 3600 volts.

and a high voltage diode,

Found and saved. Several more, and several more caps, I'd
have the makings for a Cockcroft-Walton.

sundry microswitches from the safety interlock, possibly
an electric clock. possibly a clockwork timer. possibly a slow motor
(if yours was a turntable model) or used to drive a mirror-ball that
can be hand-cranked to produce quite a bit of AC voltage (enough to
make flourescent lamps glow in my case).

3 rpm, 2 watts.

an electric fan,

Too cheap to save.

a glass platter, and a box with a glass door that'll shield stuff
from microwaves.

Bye.
Jasen

Posted to alt.electronics

On 2006-12-23, Father Haskell wrote:
What goodies do I have?

A large and potentially deadly transformer,

Heavy chunk of steel, should have a decent VA rating. What's
the output?

about 2500V (guess) 500ma, more into a short.

a magnetron which includes a moderately strong magnet,

Looks like it'd make a cool looking prop death ray. How strong
are the magnets? They might be useful in my shop someplace.

mine had a ceramic magnet about as strong as those seen on 9" loudspeakers

and a high voltage diode,

Found and saved. Several more, and several more caps, I'd
have the makings for a Cockcroft-Walton.

could be exciting.

--

Bye.
Jasen

Posted to alt.electronics

On 2006-12-23, Father Haskell wrote:
What goodies do I have?

A large and potentially deadly transformer, a magnetron which includes a
moderately strong magnet, a nigh high-voltage capacitor, and a high
voltage diode, sundry microswitches from the safety interlock, possibly
an electric clock. possibly a clockwork timer. possibly a slow motor
(if yours was a turntable model) or used to drive a mirror-ball that
can be hand-cranked to produce quite a bit of AC voltage (enough to
make flourescent lamps glow in my case). an electric fan,
a glass platter, and a box with a glass door that'll shield stuff
from microwaves.

Bye.
Jasen

---------

Funny I just did the same thing the other day.
Was wondering if I could make a Cone shaped device that could be used to
kill Garden Weeds.
Place the cone over the weedy area and then stand well back and set the
microwave going over a long bit of cable.
Just cook the floor.

Hay I wonder if you could fry the Nabours.? Place it agains there bedroom
wall and cook them through the wall whilst they sleep.?
;-)

Regards
Wombat.

Posted to alt.electronics

On 2006-12-23, Father Haskell wrote:
What goodies do I have?

A large and potentially deadly transformer,

Heavy chunk of steel, should have a decent VA rating. What's
the output?

about 2500V (guess) 500ma, more into a short.

I think you are wrong about the current rating... I'd guess more like
100 ma--remember it is intermittant service so they push it to the
limit (the heck with heat!)

But as to 'into a short'... Hey, let's try that! bg
Posted to alt.electronics

On 2006-12-23, Father Haskell wrote:
What goodies do I have?

Funny I just did the same thing the other day.
Was wondering if I could make a Cone shaped device that could be used to
kill Garden Weeds.
Place the cone over the weedy area and then stand well back and set the
microwave going over a long bit of cable.
Just cook the floor.

just cut the floor out of the oven :^)

Hay I wonder if you could fry the Nabours.? Place it agains there bedroom
wall and cook them through the wall whilst they sleep.?

depends if they have foil insulation...

Bye.
Jasen
Posted to alt.electronics

On 2006-12-23, Father Haskell wrote:
What goodies do I have?

[...]

You could make a good mouse, rat or squirrel trap. When they take the
food, the magnetron comes on and blinds them, if they don't move fast
the brain cooks too.
You could use the HV transformer for a burglar catcher by wiring the
door knob or garage door handle. When you find them dead in front of
your door you know they didn't belong there.
Posted to alt.electronics

On 2006-12-23, Father Haskell wrote:
What goodies do I have?

[...]

You'll probably want a microwave-proof gasket to seal the cone to the
ground, something like a steel-shot filled flexible vinyl donut.

You can cook weeds more easily and safely with a propane
torch designed for just this purpose, though. Boiling water
also does the trick.

Hay I wonder if you could fry the Nabours.? Place it agains there bedroom
wall and cook them through the wall whilst they sleep.?

A friend who belonged to the ARRL once told me that the
particular wavelength would set up standing waves within
either 1/2" or 1" nails. Hitting the house with sufficient power
(800 typical watts ~= 1 hp) would set it ablaze.

Focusing that power onto a spot the size of a quarter has
the same effect on human flesh as a 1 hp 1" drill. You've
got the makings there for a practical death ray.

;-)

Regards
Wombat.

Posted to alt.electronics

Father Haskell wrote:
What goodies do I have?

See if you can figure out why they can't make a QUIET fan in a microwave.
Posted to alt.electronics

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 16:08:10 GMT, "Roddy Meatstick.............."
wrote:

Father Haskell wrote:
What goodies do I have?

See if you can figure out why they can't make a QUIET fan in a microwave.

If they did that, you wouldn't knwo it was on!
Posted to alt.electronics

Roddy Meatstick.............. wrote:
Father Haskell wrote:
What goodies do I have?

See if you can figure out why they can't make a QUIET fan in a microwave.

Expense. Not enough demand.

Posted to alt.electronics

On 2006-12-27, Roddy Meatstick.............. wrote:
Father Haskell wrote:
What goodies do I have?

See if you can figure out why they can't make a QUIET fan in a microwave.

it takes quite a breeze to cool the magnetron

Bye.
Jasen
Posted to alt.electronics

On 2006-12-27, Roddy Meatstick.............. wrote:
Father Haskell wrote:
What goodies do I have?

See if you can figure out why they can't make a QUIET fan in a microwave.

it takes quite a breeze to cool the magnetron

Bye.
Jasen

The fan's job is more than cooling the magnetron. The blades of the
fan are used to disperse the microwaves inside the oven to help
prevent cooking hot spots. Some of the noise is due to the size of the
blades (they are more efficient at dispersing the microwaves than at
moving air!)

Some microwave ovens with turntables have quieter fans because the
need to disperse the microwaves is less of a problem with the
turntable.

Posted to alt.electronics

The fan's job is more than cooling the magnetron. The blades of the
fan are used to disperse the microwaves inside the oven to help
prevent cooking hot spots.

How do the blades disperse the microwaves?

The entire chamber is a resonant cavity. The entire space is inundated
with microwaves.

-Mike K.

..

Posted to alt.electronics

On 2006-12-27, Roddy Meatstick.............. wrote:
Father Haskell wrote:
What goodies do I have?

See if you can figure out why they can't make a QUIET fan in a microwave.

it takes quite a breeze to cool the magnetron

Bye.
Jasen

The fan's job is more than cooling the magnetron. The blades of the
fan are used to disperse the microwaves inside the oven to help
prevent cooking hot spots. Some of the noise is due to the size of the
blades (they are more efficient at dispersing the microwaves than at
moving air!)

Some microwave ovens with turntables have quieter fans because the
need to disperse the microwaves is less of a problem with the
turntable.

The fan I pulled had plastic blades.

Posted to alt.electronics

wrote:
The fan's job is more than cooling the magnetron. The blades of the
fan are used to disperse the microwaves inside the oven to help
prevent cooking hot spots.

How do the blades disperse the microwaves?

The entire chamber is a resonant cavity. The entire space is inundated
with microwaves.

-Mike K.

As a newcomer to this newsgroup, please allow me to clarify.

I do not mean to dispute your information about the stirrer blades, I
agree with you.

I am trying to get more information about what exactly is involved in
the dispersion. More than what I pick up off of the various "how does a
microwave oven work" hits that google returns.

Thank you,

Mike K.

Posted to alt.electronics

On 2006-12-27, Roddy Meatstick.............. wrote:
Father Haskell wrote:
What goodies do I have?

See if you can figure out why they can't make a QUIET fan in a microwave.

it takes quite a breeze to cool the magnetron

Bye.
Jasen

The fan's job is more than cooling the magnetron. The blades of the
fan are used to disperse the microwaves inside the oven to help
prevent cooking hot spots. Some of the noise is due to the size of the
blades (they are more efficient at dispersing the microwaves than at
moving air!)

Some microwave ovens with turntables have quieter fans because the
need to disperse the microwaves is less of a problem with the
turntable.

The fan I pulled had plastic blades.

Turntable oven? They don't use the fan for disperal usually. (and they
are often times quieter, too!)

Posted to alt.electronics

As a newcomer to this newsgroup, please allow me to clarify.

I do not mean to dispute your information about the stirrer blades, I
agree with you.

I am trying to get more information about what exactly is involved in
the dispersion. More than what I pick up off of the various "how does a
microwave oven work" hits that google returns.

Thank you,

Mike K.

g They are in the path between the magetron and the oven (cavity).
The microwaves reflect off the blades at varying angles (as the blades
turn).

It (the cooking chamber) is not a resonant cavity. To be that it would
have to be rather small (a wavelength of a microwave oven is in the
range of 4 to 5 inches, IIRC). There are 'hot' spots (and cool spots)
in that chamber, caused by reflections, and the interface between the
source and the oven chamber.

I hope you don't mind the discussion. And I hope you don't mind that I
address your points out of sequence.

I think you are close enough in wavelength for our discussion. But you
can set up a standing wave of half a wavelength, which would be
approximately the size of the standard cooking chamber of the average
microwave oven.

I note that there is not a large variation in microwave oven sizes.
Perhaps cooking a large turkey would be impractical due to overcooking
at the surface, but I can envision a scenario where you might want to
heat up 20 bowls of soup at a time.

I don't see this happening, that is why I think that the cooking
chamber size is dependent on the wavelength being used. And since the
wavelength of the microwave is limited by the economic considerations
of the magnetron, this restricts the range of the cooking chamber.

This is why if you have a turntable microwave without a dispersal fan
and take out the turntable (or it breaks... g) you can end up with
your dinner over cooked in some places and frozen in other spots.

I used a microwave resonance system and we turned the cavity by making
adjustments at the boundary layer between the wave guide and cavity. It
seemed to me that the dispersal fan might be method of tuning the
cavity through the various modes of the cavity, averaging out the maxs
and mins of the standing wave.

-Mike K.

Posted to alt.electronics

On 28 Dec 2006 13:29:34 -0800, wrote:

[...]

Well, a few microwave oven factoids: bg

Frequency: 2450MHz (approx)
Wavelength: 4.81 inches (.122 meters)

The size of the interior is a factor of the energy (power) level for a
given (typical) location. A bigger interior would require a larger
power source (magetron) which is more expensive and presents some
technical problems.

There used to be a couple of good sites on the net where you could
see exactly this stuff. Today all we find are glossy consumer reviews,
and really simple stuff that is *USELESS* at best. g

But try to envision that there are standing waves in the cooking
interior cavity, the microwaves enter from a 'port' or window on the
(usually upper right) side, and that port's size is only a few square
inches. The waves exit from this port, and travel outwards much like a
light from a flashlight might: some spread, but not a great deal of
difusion. The result is that waves travel to the far wall and then are
reflected off that wall towards the wall with the port. A few even
manage to get back into the waveguide, but that's not important. What
is imporatnt is that those reflected waves are all out of snyc, as the
paths traveled are all different, and the differences are more than a
wavelength (see, that's why we need to look at the wavelength).

The final result is that at some places these waves reinforce each
other (they add because they are in phase) and at other places they
tend to cancel (that is they are 180 degrees out of phase). By
sticking the fan in the path of the microwaves, you change the paths,
and the locations where they cancel or add change as well.

Just for the record, the points of maximum addition or cancelation
would be less than a half wavelength, or a couple of inches. So the
changes needed to move those points is slight.

Not all microwave ovens are well designed... g No turntable, and the
fan dispersal technique is not well implemented. With those ovens
you'll find that it is necessary to rotate your meal, or move it some
(again a few inches can be enough) to get it to heat reasonably
evenly.

Posted to alt.electronics

On 2006-12-27, Roddy Meatstick.............. wrote:
Father Haskell wrote:
What goodies do I have?

See if you can figure out why they can't make a QUIET fan in a microwave.

it takes quite a breeze to cool the magnetron

Bye.
Jasen

The fan's job is more than cooling the magnetron. The blades of the
fan are used to disperse the microwaves inside the oven to help
prevent cooking hot spots. Some of the noise is due to the size of the
blades (they are more efficient at dispersing the microwaves than at
moving air!)

Some microwave ovens with turntables have quieter fans because the
need to disperse the microwaves is less of a problem with the
turntable.

The fan I pulled had plastic blades.

Turntable oven? They don't use the fan for disperal usually. (and they
are often times quieter, too!)

Do they sell anything other than turntable models any more?

Posted to alt.electronics

On 2006-12-27, Roddy Meatstick.............. wrote:
Father Haskell wrote:
What goodies do I have?

See if you can figure out why they can't make a QUIET fan in a microwave.

it takes quite a breeze to cool the magnetron

Bye.
Jasen

The fan's job is more than cooling the magnetron. The blades of the
fan are used to disperse the microwaves inside the oven to help
prevent cooking hot spots. Some of the noise is due to the size of the
blades (they are more efficient at dispersing the microwaves than at
moving air!)

The stirrer would be a separate part.

Some microwave ovens with turntables have quieter fans because the
need to disperse the microwaves is less of a problem with the
turntable.

Posted to alt.electronics

On 2006-12-27, Roddy Meatstick.............. wrote:
Father Haskell wrote:
[...]

Probably not! g The turntables work so much better...

Posted to alt.electronics

On 2006-12-27, Roddy Meatstick.............. wrote:
Father Haskell wrote:
[...]

I think they all have turntables now. I took apart an early one that
didn't have a turntable. It did have an aluminum bladed unpowered fan in
the top. The air from the fan turned the deflector the deflector
redirected the microwaves throughout the oven. The microwaves were
rotating instead of the food. Same difference.
Aren't infrared waves higher frequency? Why ain't a toaster over faster?

Posted to alt.electronics

On 2006-12-27, Roddy Meatstick.............. wrote:
Father Haskell wrote:
[...]

Microwaves cook from the inside out. The food itself is used to
generate heat.

Posted to alt.electronics

On 2006-12-27, Roddy Meatstick.............. wrote:
Father Haskell wrote:
What goodies do I have?

See if you can figure out why they can't make a QUIET fan in a microwave.

it takes quite a breeze to cool the magnetron

Bye.
Jasen

The fan's job is more than cooling the magnetron. The blades of the
fan are used to disperse the microwaves inside the oven to help
prevent cooking hot spots. Some of the noise is due to the size of the
blades (they are more efficient at dispersing the microwaves than at
moving air!)

theyre doing them like that? I guess that explains much of the noise...

the one I pulled apart had a separate moulded fan mounted outside the oven cavity
and indide the cavity a wind driven stirrer,

Some microwave ovens with turntables have quieter fans because the
need to disperse the microwaves is less of a problem with the
turntable.

--

Bye.
Jasen
Posted to alt.electronics

On 2006-12-27, Roddy Meatstick.............. wrote:
Father Haskell wrote:
[...]

Not really from the inside out. From the outside in.

Cook a frozen hamburger and it's done on the outside and bloody in the
middle. Should be the other way around.

Posted to alt.electronics

Aren't infrared waves higher frequency? Why ain't a toaster over faster?

It has to do with the vibrational/translational modes of the water
molecule. Microwaves in the 2GHz range hit it just right.

I believe this is also the reason why some microwaves have a "defrost"
setting that is more than just a low, low, low power setting.

The solid H2O molecule (ice) has different vibrational/translational
modes than liquid water. The microwave must hit it with a slightly
modified frequency microwave in the cavity. Probably throw some sort of
dielectric into the mix.

-Mike K.

Posted to alt.electronics

Father Haskell wrote:
What goodies do I have?

If You keep the case and door intact, You could have a unusual mailbox
http://sblom.com/mailbox/microwave.jpg
Posted to alt.electronics

I've gutted microwaves in the past. Always a fun experience. On eBay you
should get ten bucks for the magnetron and another ten for the high-voltage
condenser easily.

species5618 wrote in message ...
Father Haskell wrote:
What goodies do I have?

If You keep the case and door intact, You could have a unusual mailbox
http://sblom.com/mailbox/microwave.jpg

Posted to alt.electronics

On Feb 3, 10:17 pm, "ErnieWin16" wrote:
I've gutted microwaves in the past. Always a fun experience. On eBay you
should get ten bucks for the magnetron and another ten for the high-voltage
condenser easily.

Too late for the magnetron, which yielded two really nice
refrigerator magnets and a ceramic knife sharpener.

What is the microwave gasket made from? Looks like
a washer made from some sort of brass wool.