Posted to alt.electronics
Father Haskell Father Haskell is offline

Default Just gutted a microwave oven

On 2006-12-23, Father Haskell wrote:
What goodies do I have?

A large and potentially deadly transformer, a magnetron which includes a
moderately strong magnet, a nigh high-voltage capacitor, and a high
voltage diode, sundry microswitches from the safety interlock, possibly
an electric clock. possibly a clockwork timer. possibly a slow motor
(if yours was a turntable model) or used to drive a mirror-ball that
can be hand-cranked to produce quite a bit of AC voltage (enough to
make flourescent lamps glow in my case). an electric fan,
a glass platter, and a box with a glass door that'll shield stuff
from microwaves.

Bye.
Jasen

---------

Funny I just did the same thing the other day.
Was wondering if I could make a Cone shaped device that could be used to
kill Garden Weeds.
Place the cone over the weedy area and then stand well back and set the
microwave going over a long bit of cable.
Just cook the floor.

You'll probably want a microwave-proof gasket to seal the cone to the
ground, something like a steel-shot filled flexible vinyl donut.

You can cook weeds more easily and safely with a propane
torch designed for just this purpose, though. Boiling water
also does the trick.

Hay I wonder if you could fry the Nabours.? Place it agains there bedroom
wall and cook them through the wall whilst they sleep.?

A friend who belonged to the ARRL once told me that the
particular wavelength would set up standing waves within
either 1/2" or 1" nails. Hitting the house with sufficient power
(800 typical watts ~= 1 hp) would set it ablaze.

Focusing that power onto a spot the size of a quarter has
the same effect on human flesh as a 1 hp 1" drill. You've
got the makings there for a practical death ray.

;-)

Regards
Wombat.