Posted to alt.electronics
Father Haskell Father Haskell is offline

Default Just gutted a microwave oven

On 2006-12-23, Father Haskell wrote:
What goodies do I have?

A large and potentially deadly transformer,

Heavy chunk of steel, should have a decent VA rating. What's
the output?

a magnetron which includes a moderately strong magnet,

Looks like it'd make a cool looking prop death ray. How strong
are the magnets? They might be useful in my shop someplace.

a nigh high-voltage capacitor,

1 uf, 3600 volts.

and a high voltage diode,

Found and saved. Several more, and several more caps, I'd
have the makings for a Cockcroft-Walton.

sundry microswitches from the safety interlock, possibly
an electric clock. possibly a clockwork timer. possibly a slow motor
(if yours was a turntable model) or used to drive a mirror-ball that
can be hand-cranked to produce quite a bit of AC voltage (enough to
make flourescent lamps glow in my case).

3 rpm, 2 watts.

an electric fan,

Too cheap to save.

a glass platter, and a box with a glass door that'll shield stuff
from microwaves.

Bye.
Jasen