Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Diode(?) jpegs for sci.electronics.misc

Illustrating what I am asking about, over there...

Dave

Attached Thumbnails
Diode(?) jpegs for sci.electronics.misc-pict0001-jpg  Diode(?) jpegs for sci.electronics.misc-pict0002-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Dave wrote:
Illustrating what I am asking about, over there...

Looks like some sort of thermal overload breaker to me.

--
Regards,

John Popelish
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Hmmm. On my server the post with the jpeg was deleted almost immediately.
Because of it's size, maybe?

Anyway, there is one of those, but it is on the other side. There are two
of these, presumably for the different settings on the charger? Wondering
why it would measure as a diode...

Thanks John. We'll see...

Dave

"John Popelish" wrote in message
. ..
Dave wrote:
Illustrating what I am asking about, over there...

Looks like some sort of thermal overload breaker to me.

--
Regards,

John Popelish

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Dave wrote:
Hmmm. On my server the post with the jpeg was deleted almost immediately.
Because of it's size, maybe?

Anyway, there is one of those, but it is on the other side. There are two
of these, presumably for the different settings on the charger? Wondering
why it would measure as a diode...

If it measures as a diode, then it is a diode. Are there
two of them connected to a center tapped secondary?

Are there other diodes, as well?

--
Regards,

John Popelish
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Dave wrote:
Hmmm. On my server the post with the jpeg was deleted almost
immediately. Because of it's size, maybe?

Anyway, there is one of those, but it is on the other side. There are
two of these, presumably for the different settings on the charger?
Wondering why it would measure as a diode...

If it measures as a diode, then it is a diode. Are there two of them
connected to a center tapped secondary?

Are there other diodes, as well?

--
Regards,

John Popelish

Yes, John, that is what they are connected to. And no other diodes, of any
kind. But the SCR bolts to the same heatsink, with the anode otherwise
unconnected. What have I got here?

Thanks,

Dave

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Dave wrote:
Hmmm. On my server the post with the jpeg was deleted almost
immediately. Because of it's size, maybe?

Anyway, there is one of those, but it is on the other side. There are
two of these, presumably for the different settings on the charger?
Wondering why it would measure as a diode...

If it measures as a diode, then it is a diode. Are there two of them
connected to a center tapped secondary?

Are there other diodes, as well?

--
Regards,

John Popelish

Yes, John, that is what they are connected to. And no other diodes, of any
kind. But the SCR bolts to the same heatsink, with the anode otherwise
unconnected. What have I got here?

Is it possible that they are dual diodes and the heat sink
rivet is the common cathode connection? I hate rivets as
electrical connections, but I have seen it done in low cost
consumer equipment. Common cathode pairs connected to the
phase control SCR (and over charge cut-off) this way would
make a working charger concept.

--
Regards,

John Popelish
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Dave wrote:
[...]

Hmmm. There doesn't appear to be any electrical connection to the rivet
(now a screw). Are these not some type of diode using the electrical
characteristics of oxide as a factor?

Thanks,

Dave

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 12:39:53 -0500, Dave wrote:

Hmmm. On my server the post with the jpeg was deleted almost
immediately.
Because of it's size, maybe?

Anyway, there is one of those, but it is on the other side. There are
two
of these, presumably for the different settings on the charger?
Wondering
why it would measure as a diode...

Thanks John. We'll see...

Where do the blue wires go to?

The blue wires go to the device in question, in the jpeg of the whole
charger (top removed).

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 12:39:53 -0500, Dave wrote:

Hmmm. On my server the post with the jpeg was deleted almost
immediately.
Because of it's size, maybe?

Anyway, there is one of those, but it is on the other side. There are
two
of these, presumably for the different settings on the charger?
Wondering
why it would measure as a diode...

Thanks John. We'll see...

Where do the blue wires go to?

Just realized, you may be asking where else the blue wires go. The go
between the secondary of the transformer, and the device in question.
Sorry.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Just realized, you may be asking where else the blue wires go. The go
between the secondary of the transformer, and the device in question.
Sorry.

No problem. If they are attached to the secondary then the device is a
dual diode with a common cathode. Here is a simple circuit.

http://www.electronic-circuits-diagr...psimages/7.gif

Okay, so I could probably replace them with two stud-mount (is that right?)
diodes, with the cathodes bolted to the heat-sink? Does that sound right?

Dave

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 21:35:37 -0500, Dave wrote:

Just realized, you may be asking where else the blue wires go. The go
between the secondary of the transformer, and the device in question.
Sorry.

No problem. If they are attached to the secondary then the device is a
dual diode with a common cathode. Here is a simple circuit.

http://www.electronic-circuits-diagr...psimages/7.gif

Okay, so I could probably replace them with two stud-mount (is that
right?) diodes, with the cathodes bolted to the heat-sink? Does that
sound right?

From what limited info I've got from you and if that simple circuit
resembles what you have, yes. You might want to find a couple cheap
2 amp axial lead diodes and rig them just to test this before you spend
money and time mounting the stud mount diodes.

I have several 5A axial lead diodes in my junk box. May hook them up
tomorrow. Will have to think about that some, just to make sure I get it
right. And yes, your simple circuit schematic does resemble what I appear
to have. Think I am headed to bed right now though. Thanks for the
feedback, and thought-provoking ideas.

Take it easy...

Dave

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Dave wrote:

Okay, so I could probably replace them with two stud-mount (is that right?)
diodes, with the cathodes bolted to the heat-sink? Does that sound right?

That would be my guess, if the central rivet clamps some
rear contact to the aluminum. If there is no electrical
contact (including a normal silicon or Schottky diode drop)
between the stab-ons and the panel, then I am stuck.

Why are you so intent on replacing them?

--
Regards,

John Popelish
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Dave wrote:

Okay, so I could probably replace them with two stud-mount (is that
right?) diodes, with the cathodes bolted to the heat-sink? Does that
sound right?

That would be my guess, if the central rivet clamps some rear contact to
the aluminum. If there is no electrical contact (including a normal
silicon or Schottky diode drop) between the stab-ons and the panel, then I
am stuck.

Why are you so intent on replacing them?

Wanting to replace them because the output of the charger is only 10.5
volts, not 13.6 or anything near that. It only charges a battery halfway,
and doesn't start a car easily. Trying to fix that.

Dave

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

ca...

Dave wrote:

Okay, so I could probably replace them with two stud-mount (is that
right?) diodes, with the cathodes bolted to the heat-sink? Does that
sound right?

That would be my guess, if the central rivet clamps some rear contact to
the aluminum. If there is no electrical contact (including a normal
silicon or Schottky diode drop) between the stab-ons and the panel, then
I am stuck.

Why are you so intent on replacing them?

Wanting to replace them because the output of the charger is only 10.5
volts, not 13.6 or anything near that. It only charges a battery halfway,
and doesn't start a car easily. Trying to fix that.

Dave

10.7V, actually. And I just thought of something I want to check again...

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Dave" wrote in message
netamerica...

ca...

Dave wrote:

Okay, so I could probably replace them with two stud-mount (is that
right?) diodes, with the cathodes bolted to the heat-sink? Does that
sound right?

That would be my guess, if the central rivet clamps some rear contact to
the aluminum. If there is no electrical contact (including a normal
silicon or Schottky diode drop) between the stab-ons and the panel, then
I am stuck.

Why are you so intent on replacing them?

Wanting to replace them because the output of the charger is only 10.5
volts, not 13.6 or anything near that. It only charges a battery
halfway, and doesn't start a car easily. Trying to fix that.

Dave

10.7V, actually. And I just thought of something I want to check again...

Never mind about checking anything right now. We are headed out in a few
minutes, and I forgot I left it disassembled... Later.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
MJM MJM is offline

Dave,

According to the EXIF information stored in your photo, you have the focus
set to "Distant"!

MJM

Attached Thumbnails
Diode(?) jpegs for sci.electronics.misc-pict0001a-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 11:00:39 -0500, "Dave" wrote:

ca...

Dave wrote:

Okay, so I could probably replace them with two stud-mount (is that
right?) diodes, with the cathodes bolted to the heat-sink? Does that
sound right?

That would be my guess, if the central rivet clamps some rear contact to
the aluminum. If there is no electrical contact (including a normal
silicon or Schottky diode drop) between the stab-ons and the panel, then
I am stuck.

Why are you so intent on replacing them?

Wanting to replace them because the output of the charger is only 10.5
volts, not 13.6 or anything near that. It only charges a battery halfway,
and doesn't start a car easily. Trying to fix that.

Dave

10.7V, actually. And I just thought of something I want to check again...

I have one of those chargers. It will turn off in the boost mode if it
stays on too long.I assume it is getting hot. So couldn't you just
temporarily jump this thing and check the output voltage at the clips?
If the thing is bad would it not read 13.x volts at the clips jumped?
I used to have a nearly new transformer for those also.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Dave wrote:

Okay, so I could probably replace them with two stud-mount (is that
right?) diodes, with the cathodes bolted to the heat-sink? Does that
sound right?

That would be my guess, if the central rivet clamps some rear contact to
the aluminum. If there is no electrical contact (including a normal
silicon or Schottky diode drop) between the stab-ons and the panel, then I
am stuck.

Why are you so intent on replacing them?

Wanting to replace them because the output of the charger is only 10.5
volts, not 13.6 or anything near that. It only charges a battery halfway,
and doesn't start a car easily. Trying to fix that.

Dave

If you measured the output voltage with the charger _not_ connected to
the battery, 10.5 volts may be quite reasonable. Simple chargers
rarely have filter capacitors, so, without a battery connected, you'll
be measuring pulsating DC - your meter will read some sort of
"average" voltage of that waveform.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Phat Bytestard" wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 22:29:17 -0400, Meat Plow
wrote:

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 21:13:40 -0500, Dave wrote:

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 12:39:53 -0500, Dave wrote:

Hmmm. On my server the post with the jpeg was deleted almost
immediately.
Because of it's size, maybe?

Anyway, there is one of those, but it is on the other side. There are
two
of these, presumably for the different settings on the charger?
Wondering
why it would measure as a diode...

Thanks John. We'll see...

Where do the blue wires go to?

Just realized, you may be asking where else the blue wires go. The go
between the secondary of the transformer, and the device in question.
Sorry.

No problem. If they are attached to the secondary then the device is a
dual diode with a common cathode. Here is a simple circuit.

Nice assumption, chump. It could (and very likely is) an inline thermal
switch.

I'd be willing to bet that the other end is connected directly to the
output lead.

And you would be wrong. I am not the idiot you assume.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
[...]

Pay no attention to Phat. He's taken such a beating on Usenet he
can't post anything but mindless drivel as to seek any attention good or
bad. He changes posting names to avoid kill filters since nobody will have
anything to do with his idiotic spew.

Not a problem. I ignore people all the time. That was my only exception to
this one.

Take it easy...

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Joe Joe is offline

According to the EXIF information stored in your photo, you have the
focus set to "Distant"!

So what, did you ever hear of "close up adapters"?
--
Joe