Jim Vidler

Default Be careful with all tools...

The following email was just sent around my company notifying of the
loss of a loved one. I work in a fairly large company and don't know
the individuals involved, the ages, or the details. I'm relaying it
because I think most of us would not have considered drilling a
potentially fatal activity.

"name witheld's son, Ryan, passed away this week. Ryan was at home
building a crate or box to house an injured animal, drilling holes in
the lid when a piece of material broke off and impaled into his heart."

As a woodworker, my curiosity up to know the details. But there's no way
I'm asking, so don't ask me too.

-Jim Vidler
SonomaProducts.com

I consider the RAS and the drill press to two most dangerous tools in
the the shop. The RAS is obvious but that drill press is a sneaky
*******.

Teamcasa

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
ups.com...
I consider the RAS and the drill press to two most dangerous tools in
the the shop. The RAS is obvious but that drill press is a sneaky
*******.

The dangers of working with any power tool is axiomatic. However, IIRC, the
tablesaw has the highest number of accidents. I am not counting the
numerous less injurious cutting tools like chisels, knives and blades.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Jim

Last survey I saw indicated the bandsaw was the leading stationary power
tool involved in workshop injuries. I think bandsaws are so quiet, compared
to most of the other shop tools, that we become a bit careless. I can't tell
you how many times I have almost pushed my thumb into the blade. Thankfully,
I have always caught myself in time.

Jim Ray, President
McFeely's Square Drive Screws
www.mcfeelys.com

"Teamcasa" wrote in message

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
ups.com...
I consider the RAS and the drill press to two most dangerous tools in
the the shop. The RAS is obvious but that drill press is a sneaky
*******.

The dangers of working with any power tool is axiomatic. However, IIRC,

the
tablesaw has the highest number of accidents. I am not counting the
numerous less injurious cutting tools like chisels, knives and blades.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com

longshot

"Jim" wrote in message
Last survey I saw indicated the bandsaw was the leading stationary power
tool involved in workshop injuries. I think bandsaws are so quiet,

compared
to most of the other shop tools, that we become a bit careless. I can't

tell
you how many times I have almost pushed my thumb into the blade.

Thankfully,
I have always caught myself in time.

but the TS will suck you in & spit you out.

Leon

"longshot" wrote in message

but the TS will suck you in & spit you out.

Actually, It will not. I know this from experience and for piece of mind, I
experimented with pushing an empty leather glove into a spinning TS blade.
The glove was only being cut as long as I pushed it and is simply sat in
place when I stopped pushing the glove into the blade. Your skin and
bones are way softer than wood and simply "dissolve, so to speak" as they
hit the blade much like the glove did. The TS will however cut your
personal body parts as fast as you can feed them, no problem.

loutent

I think the band saw is very dangerous too - just because
it seems so "harmless" (in some ways).

Every time I fire it up, I hook up the shop vac to be
sure I hear something through my ear protection.
The saw looks almost harmless when running IMHO.

Then I think of a post here a few months ago where
someone shut off his bandsaw and simply brushed
off some sawdust while the blade was still in motion-
with a terrible result...

I want to thank him for that mental image.

I also think that a woodworkers wort enemy in this
regard is fatigue. The worst things happen toward the
end of a shop day (however long that may be for you).
If you're lucky it's just a bad miter or something like
that.

Lou

loutent wrote:
I think the band saw is very dangerous too - just because
it seems so "harmless" (in some ways).

It also has a relatively small table compared to most table saws.
With many typical table saws, you hav eot reach a bit to get your
hand to the blade.

That's feature the bandsaw shares with the drill press.

Supposedly the most commonly reported injury with a RAS is the
amputation of the left thumb by a person operating the saw with
his right hand. I was taught to operate a RAS with my left hand,
using my right to steady the workpiece. That way to put my
hand in the path of the blade I'd have to reach across my
body. It also means that my entire body is to the right of
the blade with no part of my body inline with the blade.
That, in turn, helps to prevent what is supposed to be the
second most common RAS injury, dislocation of the shoulder
when the saw kicks back. 'Kickback' in the case of RAS is
kicking out toward the user.

Using the RAS left-handed sounded silly and awkward at first.
It's downright unnatural. It's not the way Nahrm uses his.
But after making one cut that way I was convinced it was the
right way.

--

FF

Badger

loutent wrote:

I also think that a woodworkers wort enemy in this
regard is fatigue. The worst things happen toward the
end of a shop day (however long that may be for you).
If you're lucky it's just a bad miter or something like
that.

Your so right, using a recip (sawzall) this week on sheet steel when
getting tired I had to stop and think when I realised just how stupid
the cut I was attempting to make was...9 hours in to the third 11 hour
day rebuilding the wifes car (rusty land-rover).

Niel.
Leon

"Teamcasa" wrote in message

The dangers of working with any power tool is axiomatic. However, IIRC,
the tablesaw has the highest number of accidents. I am not counting the
numerous less injurious cutting tools like chisels, knives and blades.

Probably because TS users out number RAS users many times over. I'd bet
that the TS accident ratio is far below that of the RAS.

DaveH

I do not own an RAS and am curious to know what makes them unusually
dangerous?
Seriously -- I competely believe it -- if you could just offer some
discussion?
Dave

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 23:30:41 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"Teamcasa" wrote in message

The dangers of working with any power tool is axiomatic. However, IIRC,
the tablesaw has the highest number of accidents. I am not counting the
numerous less injurious cutting tools like chisels, knives and blades.

Probably because TS users out number RAS users many times over. I'd bet
that the TS accident ratio is far below that of the RAS.

Edwin Pawlowski

"DaveH" wrote in message
I do not own an RAS and am curious to know what makes them unusually
dangerous?
Seriously -- I competely believe it -- if you could just offer some
discussion?
Dave

People have cut fingers and hands off because they held the work with one
hand and pulled the saw with the other hand, right across their own hand.
This also happens with miter saws. It is possible to watch the blade moving
along the cut mark and not realize their hand is in the way. With a miter
saw, it is good practice to bring the blade down to the work to see what it
is going to hit before you pull the trigger.

Unquestionably Confused

Mark wrote:
I don't have a RAS, but the router is the most dangerous in my shop followed
by the chop saw.
Mark

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
ups.com...

I consider the RAS and the drill press to two most dangerous tools in
the the shop. The RAS is obvious but that drill press is a sneaky
*******.

Could we MAYBE provide even some anectdotal information as to WHY XXXXX
or XXXXX is the most dangerous?

The upholstery hammer is the most dangerous thing in a shop if that
happens to be the only tool you have. Sheesh!

Max

"Unquestionably Confused" wrote in message
om...
Mark wrote:
I don't have a RAS, but the router is the most dangerous in my shop
followed
by the chop saw.
Mark

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
ups.com...

I consider the RAS and the drill press to two most dangerous tools in
the the shop. The RAS is obvious but that drill press is a sneaky
*******.

Could we MAYBE provide even some anectdotal information as to WHY XXXXX or
XXXXX is the most dangerous?

The upholstery hammer is the most dangerous thing in a shop if that
happens to be the only tool you have. Sheesh!

I'm arguably the most dangerous tool in my shop. As long as I'm not in
there the tools are all harmless.

Max D.

Andy Dingley

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 04:32:09 GMT, "Max" wrote:

As long as I'm not in there the tools are all harmless.

One of my shelves committed seppukku last week and took out the shop radio. I was asleep at the time.
mac davis

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 04:32:09 GMT, "Max" wrote:

snip

I'm arguably the most dangerous tool in my shop. As long as I'm not in
there the tools are all harmless.

Max D.

good point, Max...

"saws don't maim people, people maim people"?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Australopithecus scobis

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 04:32:09 +0000, Max wrote:

I'm arguably the most dangerous tool in my shop. As long as I'm not in
there the tools are all harmless.

Except for the plastic tubing air lines, and the static charged dust
collector... /me ducks

--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad {dot} scientist {dot} com

Andy Dingley

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 03:53:38 GMT, Unquestionably Confused wrote:

Could we MAYBE provide even some anectdotal information as to WHY XXXXX
or XXXXX is the most dangerous?

Only if you qualify the meaning of dangerous.

Most likely to have an accident ? (hammer, chisel, stacked heavy things)

Most serious, if you do have an accident? (spindle moulder, jointer)
Badger

SonomaProducts.com wrote:

I consider the RAS and the drill press to two most dangerous tools in
the the shop. The RAS is obvious but that drill press is a sneaky
*******.

Accross the whole engineering/woodworking sphere in the Uk the drill
press has the most injury incidents. Having had one throw a pound of
cast iron at me, that was clamped, I can well believe it....

Niel.

mac davis

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 22:00:03 GMT, Badger wrote:

SonomaProducts.com wrote:

I consider the RAS and the drill press to two most dangerous tools in
the the shop. The RAS is obvious but that drill press is a sneaky
*******.

Accross the whole engineering/woodworking sphere in the Uk the drill
press has the most injury incidents. Having had one throw a pound of
cast iron at me, that was clamped, I can well believe it....

Niel.

ahh, but now you're opening up the metal working box of horrors.. *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Prometheus

On 31 Mar 2005 10:46:44 -0800, "SonomaProducts.com"
wrote:

I consider the RAS and the drill press to two most dangerous tools in
the the shop. The RAS is obvious but that drill press is a sneaky
*******.

My personal vote is for hand chisels and utility knives. I've never
hurt myself with a power tool, but I've got a whole pile of scars from
neander tools. A properly sharpened chisel will hit bone before you
even know you slipped. (I've got a fingertip on my left hand that is
still aching like mad after almost a month)

They're all dangerous- it just depends on who you are, and what you're
doing.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
J. Clarke

wrote:

I consider the RAS and the drill press to two most dangerous tools in
the the shop. The RAS is obvious but that drill press is a sneaky
*******.

My personal vote is for hand chisels and utility knives. I've never
hurt myself with a power tool, but I've got a whole pile of scars from
neander tools. A properly sharpened chisel will hit bone before you
even know you slipped. (I've got a fingertip on my left hand that is
still aching like mad after almost a month)

They're all dangerous- it just depends on who you are, and what you're
doing.

I jabbed myself in the knuckle with an X-acto knife when I was 8 and it
still reminds me on occasion 40+ years later.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
J.B. Bobbitt

I seem to remember reading in the "Letters" section of FWW a long time ago a
note from a hand surgeon who was also a woodworker. He stated that the
WORST hand injuries from woodworking resulted from:

1. Ripping on a RAS;
2. Ripping grooves w/ dado blades on TS.

Both situations are set up so the operator is pushing directly into the
blade, against considerable resistance. Any slip off the workpiece and
hands plow into blades and digits fly.

At my work, our major client, and hence us too, have implemented a "Loss
Prevention System" (LPS). One of the tenets is called a "safe performance
self assessment" (SPSA). The SPSA basically is this: before EVERY new job
element (i.e. after you set up a new cut, but before you reach for the "on"
switch to rip that board), stop for a few seconds and ask yourself "What can
go wrong with this set-up?" Then, change your work practice to reduce the
risk.

It works for me.

-jbb

"Jim Vidler" wrote in message
The following email was just sent around my company notifying of the loss
of a loved one. I work in a fairly large company and don't know the
individuals involved, the ages, or the details. I'm relaying it because I
think most of us would not have considered drilling a potentially fatal
activity.

"name witheld's son, Ryan, passed away this week. Ryan was at home
building a crate or box to house an injured animal, drilling holes in the
lid when a piece of material broke off and impaled into his heart."

As a woodworker, my curiosity up to know the details. But there's no way
I'm asking, so don't ask me too.

-Jim Vidler

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 04:17:52 GMT, the inscrutable "J.B. Bobbitt"
spake:

I seem to remember reading in the "Letters" section of FWW a long time ago a
note from a hand surgeon who was also a woodworker. He stated that the
WORST hand injuries from woodworking resulted from:

1. Ripping on a RAS;
2. Ripping grooves w/ dado blades on TS.

Both situations are set up so the operator is pushing directly into the
blade, against considerable resistance. Any slip off the workpiece and
hands plow into blades and digits fly.

The "OUCH!" factor.

At my work, our major client, and hence us too, have implemented a "Loss
Prevention System" (LPS). One of the tenets is called a "safe performance
self assessment" (SPSA). The SPSA basically is this: before EVERY new job
element (i.e. after you set up a new cut, but before you reach for the "on"
switch to rip that board), stop for a few seconds and ask yourself "What can
go wrong with this set-up?" Then, change your work practice to reduce the
risk.

Before it was Yuppieized it was called "common sense", and IIRC, our
8th grade Metal & Wood Shop teacher, Mr. Workman, presented it to us
something like this:

"Pay Attention, Dipsticks! You'll -need- those fingers and hands for
the rest of your lives."

It works for me.

Yes. Use whatever works!

Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with excellent vocabulary
http://diversify.com Dynamic Website Applications

Owen Lowe

In article ,
Jim Vidler wrote:

"name witheld's son, Ryan, passed away this week. Ryan was at home
building a crate or box to house an injured animal, drilling holes in
the lid when a piece of material broke off and impaled into his heart."

As a woodworker, my curiosity up to know the details. But there's no way
I'm asking, so don't ask me too.

That's a pretty tough story to believe - at least considering what tools
I use to drill holes and how I do it. I'm thinking something is missing
from the explanation - like the Ryan chucked the crate to the drill
chuck while holding the bit stationary...
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05
Leon

"Owen Lowe" wrote in message
news

That's a pretty tough story to believe - at least considering what tools
I use to drill holes and how I do it. I'm thinking something is missing
from the explanation - like the Ryan chucked the crate to the drill
chuck while holding the bit stationary...

Way hard to believe. Sounds like a story that was "made up" by some one
trying to make a point but does not have a clue.