Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Art Ransom

Default router table or shaper

I have been using a Delta shaper/router for several years and it has
served me well. I now need to upgrade since I have started to use a lot of
6/4 and 8/4 materials and the Delta is only a 1/2 HP. I use router bits
exclusively now and doubt that I will need shaper heads in the future.
Which ever I get I will also get a power feeder for it.
The router or shaper will be installed in the right side of my TS which
has a 50" fence and uses a 1.5 HP dust collector. I am looking at the
Grizzly 1 1/2 HP shaper or getting another ( my fourth) Hitachi 12V router,
3 1/4 HP, variable speed, soft start etc. and if I go with the router it
will be used exclusively on the table.
I run a one man shop and weekly average use of shaper/router will be about
1 hour
Grizzly pros no time spent building table
cons $200 more than a router and materials but I won't spend
several days building table.
1 1/2 HP as opposed to 3 1/4HP
Comments or suggestions. TIA
--