Robatoy

In article ,
"Art Ransom" wrote:

[snipperized for brevity]

Grizzly pros no time spent building table
cons $200 more than a router and materials but I won't spend
several days building table.
1 1/2 HP as opposed to 3 1/4HP
Comments or suggestions. TIA

Apples and oranges.

1 1/2 HP of induction motor vs 3 1/4 HP for a universal motor...at
10.000 RPM with a large panel raising cutter..the shaper will seem so
much stronger than 1-1/2HP.
The shaper will work its butt off all day. The Hitachi (I own a couple)
will be working its ballbearings off.

The shaper heads/cutters cost a lot more money if you're talking carbide.
The shaper set-up is a lot more complex/involved.
The shaper speed change usually involves re-tightening of the belt(s).
The shaper is much quieter.
I don't know about the Grizzly, but a lot of shapers can take a chuck
for 1/2" router bits, so the investment you have won't go to waste.

But... if you're going to lean into it with a hunk of 8/4 oak... a 1-1/2
HP shaper may not be adequate either.

A router table is a cheap and dirty but will not do a shaper's job over
the long haul.

IMHO