Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Dukester

Default Flies ruining projects

I've posted to another group about this but thought I would post here anyway
since the "shop" is for woodworking. It sounds funny but when you spend
several nights after work sanding & getting the final details right only to
have pieces instantly messed up from flies, it's not so humorous except in
the "pulling your hair out" funny.

I live next to about 400 acres of pasture with cattle on it. Annoyingly,
the fellow leasing the land stores and rolls out the hay bales in the winter
immediately next to the part of the fence closest to our house; probably 100
yards or so from my shop. He never rotates the cows out of this field and
when you look over there you see more brown than green grass. The first few
years I lived here the previous owner rotated the cows around different
fields and I don't remember there being so many flies. Now, however, they
are everywhere in/on, around my shop, year round. The tractor, windows,
door, everything gets covered in droppings, and I have all but given up on
woodworking as the flies ruin finished pieces with their little black dots
faster than I can cover pieces to protect them. I can't keep them out of my
24x24 shop, nor get them out once they're in there.

I can't imagine that I'm the only one that lives next to a cowfield & flies
and trying to do woodworking. Is there any way to alleviate this short of
moving? I've heard of some kind of spray you put on the outside of barns
etc., but not at this time of year. Flypaper works, but they still leave
droppings even when stuck to the paper. Are bug bombs my only solution? I'm
ready to quit woodworking for all the hassle cleaning up the crap even
before I get started! Do bug zappers work?

Help!