James Tomalonis

Default Bridgewood question

Hi all,

I was just offered a Bridgewood 36"? bandsaw in excellent condition from a
man brokering out a bunch of equipment from a log home builder that closed a
couple years ago. (They simply closed their doors due to a serious cash flow
problem I heard. I'm told they closed just before they would have had to
file bankruptcy).

Whatever the case, there is supposed to be a pile of various equipment for
sale, I can hardly wait to see what they have!

I'll give a full report of the goodies when I come back from my visit there.

At any rate, in the course of conversation, this guy said there was a like
new 10 year old, hardly used, Bridgewood 36"? bandsaw for sale there.

If it is that big and in really good condition, any guesses on it's worth?
I've never owned any of this brand, so I'm in unfamiliar territory. I want
to make a serious offer because I could really use a saw like this.

The brand new Bridgewood 37" models from Italy seem to be for sale for
somewhere in the $ 5700 range.

I need the big throat, not any resaw capability. I work with panels mostly.

Any guesses are welcome.

James

babygrand

Hi James,

I bought a 36" Tannewitz at auction a few years ago, from a piano company
that had closed up. Tannewitz used to be the Cadillac of the heavy duty
bandsaws, but may not even be made anymore. Anyway, it was about 30 years
old, but very well cared for, and in great condition. I got it for $2,200,
which happened to be the lowest selling price of the six machines that sold.
I felt like I got a great deal, and have certainly gotten my moneys worth.
It is versatile, powerful and accurate. That's just one man's circumstance.
YMMV.

babygrand

"James Tomalonis" wrote in message
[...]

James Tomalonis

Thanks for your input, I guess there's not a lot of these out there, hence
the huge response to my post. I'll just have to make the best decision I can
when I go look at it. I googled old posts and found nothing on this unit,
but I see that the feelings about Bridgewood as a brand go about 50/50.

I'll still report what's there in case someone needs something.

James

"babygrand" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Sorry, but I can't speak about this bandsaw specifically, either.

But I do own 2 other Bridgewood machines.

The first is a 15 yr old, 8" jointer. I bought it used about
3 yrs ago (for $450). I did a little bit of refurb on it
(another $100). Overall it is a very nice machine. The tables
are flat within a couple thousanths. I did a tiny bit of shimming
on the outfeed table to get the tables co-planer. The fence has
a little twist to it. Don't remember exactly, but I think it was
about 1/64 over the 36" length. I like this machine enough
that I am considering getting a new spiral-shear-cut cutter head
for it. Kind of expensive so I keep putting that off.

The second machine is a 10" left tilt cabinet saw, Model 10-LTS,
I think. I bought this new 2 yrs ago. This is a great machine.
Smooth and accurate. Fit and finish excellent.

Both machines are Chinese built, I believe. I would buy either one
again.

Ken

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Yale Electric Chain Hoist Question MP Toolman Metalworking 3 July 13th 04 08:24 AM
Question about using a router PoP UK diy 6 January 5th 04 01:20 PM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM