Jay Pique

Default Karibari Boards anyone?

I've googled, but come up with very little. Anyone have a link to
plans? Thanks.

JP
Guess who

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 15:57:55 -0500, Jay Pique
wrote:

I've googled, but come up with very little. Anyone have a link to
plans? Thanks.

No plans, but as far as I can make out, it's a square lattice? Here's
one image:

http://www.dundee.ac.uk/pressoffice/...nservation.htm

As far as I can make out, Karibari is the process of applying the
paper. The frame seems ot be a simple lattice.

Jay Pique

wrote:

I've googled, but come up with very little. Anyone have a link to
plans? Thanks.

No plans, but as far as I can make out, it's a square lattice? Here's
one image:

http://www.dundee.ac.uk/pressoffice/...nservation.htm

As far as I can make out, Karibari is the process of applying the
paper. The frame seems ot be a simple lattice.

Thanks - I've sent them an email to see if they can provide some more
information. A local art conservator wants me to build three
different sizes for him to repair old maps. He has a couple of old
sketches, but I'd like to learn a bit more. For example, should I use
rice glue?

JP
Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when Guess who
wrote:

As far as I can make out, Karibari is the process of applying the
paper. The frame seems ot be a simple lattice.

How on earth are they finding green persimmons in Dundee ? I've been
after some for ages - the only ones I can find are Israeli and might
taste better, but the juice just doesn't work for wood finishing.

Karibari boards are reasonably well documented amongst museum and
paper conservation people. They're a simple lightweight flat frame,
covered with several layers of Japanese paper (high wet strength) and
then varnished with a waterproof varnish. Persimmon juice is used
because it's waterproof when exposed to sunlight, which urushi lacquer
isn't.

The usual Western introduction to the boards and their use is
Webber & Huxtable's paper in "The Paper Conservator" 9 (1985)
http://www.ipc.org.uk/pubjour.html#volume9(1985)

You can make a simple one by stretching mylar across a lightweight
honeycomb-core door and tacking it down with a staple gun. I'm a
barbarian.

A better one (or at least more traditional) can be made from a simple
frame covered in a few layers of decent mulberry paper, then
shellaced.

Easy way to cover old skirting boards with new ones? Mark Home Repair 1 February 28th 05 12:37 PM
Wooden Floors andrewpreece UK diy 6 November 17th 04 11:03 PM
hand planing a panel flat Dimit94844 Woodworking 5 November 2nd 04 12:47 AM
Eon Decking Problems repp Home Repair 3 July 9th 04 04:54 AM
Looking for long HICKORY flooring boards (6'-8') Shawn Home Repair 0 April 20th 04 12:45 AM