Tom

Default Plate jointer

I want to buy a Plate Jointer and what I thought would be an easy decision,
Has turned into a "Spec" nightmare. I'm leaning toward the PC 557. Should I
be leaning a different direction?

Leon

"Tom" wrote in message
k.net...
I want to buy a Plate Jointer and what I thought would be an easy decision,
Has turned into a "Spec" nightmare. I'm leaning toward the PC 557. Should I
be leaning a different direction?

You get the most features for the price with that one. You are also looking
for the Type III. You would need to go to the much more expensive Lamello
to do better.

toller

I bought my 557 at Amazon for $140. There are specials now and then unless
you need it now.
"Tom" wrote in message
ink.net...
I would like to try to keep this around $200.00. Is the type III just the
newest version of the 557?

"Leon" wrote in message
news

"Tom" wrote in message
k.net...
I want to buy a Plate Jointer and what I thought would be an easy
decision, Has turned into a "Spec" nightmare. I'm leaning toward the PC
557. Should I be leaning a different direction?

You get the most features for the price with that one. You are also
looking for the Type III. You would need to go to the much more
expensive Lamello to do better.

David

You suck!

Dave (who paid about $200 IIRC)

Tom wrote:
I want to buy a Plate Jointer and what I thought would be an easy

decision,
Has turned into a "Spec" nightmare. I'm leaning toward the PC 557.

Should I
be leaning a different direction?

I have used several plate jointers, including the 557, and I would
recommend the Makita 3901. It is smoother, and more precise, IME.

Leon

"Tom" wrote in message
ink.net...
I would like to try to keep this around $200.00. Is the type III just the
newest version of the 557?

It is the most current version. If you find some exceptionally good deal it
may be a Type II. You do not want the Type II. The Type III should be in
the price range that you have indicated.

Robatoy

In article t,
"Tom" wrote:

I want to buy a Plate Jointer and what I thought would be an easy decision,
Has turned into a "Spec" nightmare. I'm leaning toward the PC 557. Should I
be leaning a different direction?

For the serious wooddorker, the consensus seems to indicate that the 557
type III is more than adequate. If you are going to do a lot of it, and
you insist on high precision, buy the Lamello.

.....annnnnd, regardless of which brand you chose, and I have said this
many times before...buy Lamello bisquits, they're simply better.
Patriarch

"Tom" wrote in
ink.net:

I would like to try to keep this around $200.00. Is the type III just
the
newest version of the 557?

If you can't get an acceptable price on the PC557 type III, there are more
than a few of us more than satisfied with the DeWalt plate jointer. These
two seem to be at that $200 & down sweet spot, price/feature/durability
considered.

And now that the two of them will have the same corporate parent, I hope
some other company steps up with a competitive product.

If you don't feel the need to do smaller than #0 biscuits, the DeWalt does
what the PC does.

Patriarch
Tom

Thank you all for the advice. I was surprised at how fast I got responses
to my question..
Tom

"Tom" wrote in message
k.net...
I want to buy a Plate Jointer and what I thought would be an easy decision,
Has turned into a "Spec" nightmare. I'm leaning toward the PC 557. Should I
be leaning a different direction?

Phillip Hallam-Baker

I bought my 557 at Amazon for $140. There are specials now and then
unless
you need it now.

I paid $180, if you put the tool in your amazon shopping basket it will
decrease to $180 for a day every 7 days or so. I have never seen it at
$140 but you can also use the standing $25 discount on purchases over
$200 to bring the price down to $155 which is fair.