Art Ransom

Default shaper advice needed

.. Thinking on upgrading my Delta router/shaper to a 1 1/2 HP shaper that
will handle 1/2" router bits and possibly a powerfeeder. Looked a Jet and
Grizzly, Griz is $300 less and apparently their quality has gone way up in
the last few years. The Griz with 1/4 HP power feeder will run about $1000.
Only reason I a looking at the powerfeeder as I was told that it would give
me cleaner birdmouth joints and they are the main reason I am considering
getting a shaper. Any suggestions?

--
Art Ransom
Lancaster , Texas

www.turningaround.org

George

"Art Ransom" wrote in message
. Thinking on upgrading my Delta router/shaper to a 1 1/2 HP shaper that
will handle 1/2" router bits and possibly a powerfeeder. Looked a Jet and
Grizzly, Griz is $300 less and apparently their quality has gone way up in
the last few years. The Griz with 1/4 HP power feeder will run about

$1000.
Only reason I a looking at the powerfeeder as I was told that it would

give
me cleaner birdmouth joints and they are the main reason I am considering
getting a shaper. Any suggestions?

--

I use the Hitchi router and the LV birdmouth bits, hand fed, of course.

Table size on one of those little guys - I have the Delta they grew out of -
is pretty skosh for effective power feeding, IMO.

Phisherman

Years ago I decided between a shaper and router table. I found that
the router table had many more uses, easier to add accesories/repair,
and lower cost. I have a PC 7518 in the table--takes 1/4 or 1/2"
bits. To get a cleaner cut, make two passes. A light final pass (and
a quality bit) makes a more crisp profile.

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 03:27:08 -0600, "Art Ransom"
wrote:

. Thinking on upgrading my Delta router/shaper to a 1 1/2 HP shaper that
will handle 1/2" router bits and possibly a powerfeeder. Looked a Jet and
Grizzly, Griz is $300 less and apparently their quality has gone way up in
the last few years. The Griz with 1/4 HP power feeder will run about $1000.
Only reason I a looking at the powerfeeder as I was told that it would give
me cleaner birdmouth joints and they are the main reason I am considering
getting a shaper. Any suggestions?

Art

If I was planning on running router bits I would buy-or build a router
table and using the Porter-Cable 7518 3 1/4hp router, a router lift,
and a small stock feeder. This way you will get the rpm's needed, the
control needed, and the finish needed.
Good luck,
Mike

Duane Bozarth

Art Ransom wrote:

. Thinking on upgrading my Delta router/shaper to a 1 1/2 HP shaper that
will handle 1/2" router bits and possibly a powerfeeder. Looked a Jet and
Grizzly, Griz is $300 less and apparently their quality has gone way up in
the last few years. The Griz with 1/4 HP power feeder will run about $1000.
Only reason I a looking at the powerfeeder as I was told that it would give
me cleaner birdmouth joints and they are the main reason I am considering
getting a shaper. Any suggestions?

I concur w/ those who recommend routers for router bits--unless they are
large diameter the tip speed isn't sufficient. I got the Delta r/s to
be able to have it for a small machine for use as the second machine
when the shaper is in another setup that isn't ready to be taken down
and find it too slow for most router bits, unfortunately.

the Griz shapers I've been tempted but haven't actually seen one to
compare. Depending on your time frame and location, shapers come up on
eBay fairly frequently and a fair fraction when I was last watching
regularly seemed to be single phase though the majority of larger (PM
27's, etc, that I was particularly watching) were 3-phase.

The larger the table, the better, particularly for power feeding.

Unless you're getting into production, I'd think a heavy router w/ a
well-built table would still be more cost-effective.