SonomaProducts.com

Default Report #1: Starting a woodworking business

This is the first report of my quest to start a woodworking business.

Background:
I've been at this a few years but this year I am taking it seriously.
I have a multi-year plan to transition from my current career into a
manufacturing business of wood products.

Plan For This Year:
I have started to execute phase 1, the Artisan Circuit. I have put in
applications for 8 juried craft/art/wine/food festivals. I've only
heard back from one so far(the biggest) and I have been accepted. It
has over 100,000 attendees. I also plan on attending flea markets,
doing road-side stands and "may" try to get some products into the
retail channel.

First Experience:
I attended one juried show that was being held just across the street
from my home. It was a Country Folk Art related show. It was not the
best audience for my work and very poorly attended, maybe 2,000 over 2
days. It cost me $400 to exhibit in a 10 x 10. I sold $187 worth of
items. I had about $3,500 of inventory on hand. (Case work, Mission
furniture, wineracks, shelves, plant stands, cutting boards, mirrors,
birdhouses, etc.) See pics
Booth: http://www.sonomaproducts.com/Graphics/Pic0.jpg
Case: http://www.sonomaproducts.com/Graphics/Pic1.jpg
Case: http://www.sonomaproducts.com/Graphics/Pic2.jpg
Shelves: http://www.sonomaproducts.com/Graphics/Pic4.jpg

I don't consider it a failure. It was a great learning experience, I
tried out my booth structure and validated my work. Many many positive
comments. I also have a possible sale of a butcher block top kitchen
island for $475 if I am willing to make one in Oak (I had a Pine one at
the show). Then the show would be about break even.

Next Step:
I am preparing for a day at the near by Flea Market; a huge, permanent
venue that only costs $40 for a 20x20 spot. I'll add in some larger
and different items to my inventory such as Adirondack chairs, garden
items, etc.

facility. I have struck a deal with a local cabinet shop. I have full
access to the shop evenings and weekends. I pay $250 a month rent and
$50 a month for supplies (sandpaper, screws, glue, etc.) If I have a
big production run of items I'll supply my own screws, etc and I also
always bring in all my own lumber, hardware (hinges, knobs, etc.).

Charlie Self

SonomaProducts writes:
I'll give more details over time. One last point is my production
facility. I have struck a deal with a local cabinet shop. I have full
access to the shop evenings and weekends. I pay $250 a month rent and
$50 a month for supplies (sandpaper, screws, glue, etc.) If I have a
big production run of items I'll supply my own screws, etc and I also
always bring in all my own lumber, hardware (hinges, knobs, etc.).

Good luck. It's a tough hoe to row, but it can be done.

Suggestion: next time you post pix, don't posterize the damned
things...and make them a shade smaller for those of us with dial-up
service. I can't tell a thing about the detail in your work.

firstjois

Charlie Self wrote:
[snip]

Suggestion: next time you post pix, don't posterize the damned
things...and make them a shade smaller for those of us with dial-up
service. I can't tell a thing about the detail in your work.

These showed up maybe 3/4 screen size for me.

Josie

WillR

SonomaProducts.com wrote:
This is the first report of my quest to start a woodworking business.

Thank you...

Background:
I've been at this a few years but this year I am taking it seriously.
I have a multi-year plan to transition from my current career into a
manufacturing business of wood products.

Have you seen a psychiatrist -- yet? Just kidding....

Plan For This Year:
I have started to execute phase 1, the Artisan Circuit. I have put in
applications for 8 juried craft/art/wine/food festivals. I've only
heard back from one so far(the biggest) and I have been accepted. It
has over 100,000 attendees. I also plan on attending flea markets,
doing road-side stands and "may" try to get some products into the
retail channel.

That would be manufacturing... Whole different game with different
rules. There it would depend on your ability to create designs that are
"easy" to assemble with repeatable results. Whole different skill set --
more like engineering.

First Experience:
I attended one juried show that was being held just across the street
from my home. It was a Country Folk Art related show. It was not the
best audience for my work and very poorly attended, maybe 2,000 over 2
days. It cost me $400 to exhibit in a 10 x 10. I sold $187 worth of
items. I had about $3,500 of inventory on hand. (Case work, Mission
furniture, wineracks, shelves, plant stands, cutting boards, mirrors,
birdhouses, etc.) See pics
Booth: http://www.sonomaproducts.com/Graphics/Pic0.jpg
Case: http://www.sonomaproducts.com/Graphics/Pic1.jpg
Case: http://www.sonomaproducts.com/Graphics/Pic2.jpg
Shelves: http://www.sonomaproducts.com/Graphics/Pic4.jpg

Pictures look good here. Can't really see the "close-up" quality of the
work. Presume it's OK.

I don't consider it a failure. It was a great learning experience, I
tried out my booth structure and validated my work. Many many positive
comments. I also have a possible sale of a butcher block top kitchen
island for $475 if I am willing to make one in Oak (I had a Pine one at
the show). Then the show would be about break even.

Isn't that a little cheap for custom work? Can you really make money on
that?

Next Step:
I am preparing for a day at the near by Flea Market; a huge, permanent
venue that only costs $40 for a 20x20 spot. I'll add in some larger
and different items to my inventory such as Adirondack chairs, garden
items, etc.

If your work quality is what it seems to be this is inappropriate --
IMO. "But - one never knows -- do one?"

facility. I have struck a deal with a local cabinet shop. I have full
access to the shop evenings and weekends. I pay $250 a month rent and
$50 a month for supplies (sandpaper, screws, glue, etc.) If I have a
big production run of items I'll supply my own screws, etc and I also
always bring in all my own lumber, hardware (hinges, knobs, etc.).

Good luck!

I for one really appreciate you sharing. Thank you again!

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
SonomaProducts.com

Manufacturing: Yes, I design all of the labor out of my designs. Lots
of fixtures and common sized parts and hardware. One reason I am doing
Artisan work first is I don't have all of the automation equipment yet
for high production, although I just ordered a Woodmaster planer/molder
that will be used mostly for gang ripping.

Quality: Admittadly varies depending on the product. Birdhouses and
Pine wine racks are banged without even covering the nail/staple holes.
Furniture is top notch.

Price: When I sell direct to consumers I price between wholesale and
retail. I can sell this for $375 wholesale and still make reasonable
profit. Its not custom work really. I offer this in several species jut
don't carry inventory. If I build her one in Oak, I'll likely build two
more at the same time. I buy the legs wholesale, all straight cuts,
pocket screws, clamp rack for glued up top + wide belt sander, sprayed
finish, standard setups for building drawers, yada yada.

Flea Market: Yeah a little low brow audience. Worth a try I think for
sucha low cost. There are many furniture vendors with permanent
locations at this market and it really draws quite a good cross section
when the weather is good. Plus I'll add in my garden stuff which is
fast and chead. I have these Adirondack chairs that I bang out in no
time. Make them from $1bf pine, sprayed with exterior latex.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, I'll be watching this thread for
furthur updates with great interest. Marketing is one of the weaker
areas for most artisans, and current info is hard to come by.

Rumpty

Quality: Admittadly varies depending on the product. Birdhouses and
Pine wine racks are banged without even covering the nail/staple holes.
Furniture is top notch.

You can't sell birdhouses, pine crap and top notch furniture in the same
booth. You need to niche market a specific item. Go after the upper end of
the market and stay far away from the flea markets.

yada yada.

This is the wrong attitude to have if you want to succeed in the woodworking
business.

--

Rumpty

WillR

Rumpty wrote:
Quality: Admittadly varies depending on the product. Birdhouses and

Pine wine racks are banged without even covering the nail/staple holes.
Furniture is top notch.

You can't sell birdhouses, pine crap and top notch furniture in the same
booth. You need to niche market a specific item. Go after the upper end of
the market and stay far away from the flea markets.

yada yada.

This is the wrong attitude to have if you want to succeed in the woodworking
business.

Which one? High end? Custom? low end?

Maybe... But it would make him competitive with cheap imports and there
might be a _lot_ of business there.

Maybe he sees something others don't always see.

I am beginning to think there is a market for anything. :-)

Cheap burger joints sell lots of meals.

Mid range restaurants sell a lot fewer at higher margin and so on -- up
the chain.

I did not _like_ the answer, but it was a _good answer_ and I suspect an
honest answer.

Good enough for me...

--

Rumpty

Will
Occasional Techno-geek

You said: "try to get some products into the retail channel"

All of your products eventually get into the retail channel (unless you
expect to sell tables and benches to the Pentagon). If you can't sell
it now at retail, how can you expand?

You are in an extremely competitive field (not just U.S., also from
overseas)

Be careful how much money you have at risk. Keep it to a minimum.

Mike

On 17 Mar 2005 09:47:13 -0800, "SonomaProducts.com"
wrote:

Flea Market: Yeah a little low brow audience. Worth a try I think for
sucha low cost. There are many furniture vendors with permanent
locations at this market and it really draws quite a good cross section

I think you have the right attitude about doing whatever it takes.
I've seen some good woodworkers fail at their own business because
they are so stubborn about doing just one thing. You may enjoy
building high-end chairs but if you only sell one chair a month how
can you eat?
When a person is starting out it seems to me the most important thing
is to keep the saws running. Sooner or later you find your niche and
your customers. Hopefully that involves doing the type of work that
pleases you and that earns you a decent living. When that happens,
you then have the ability to be selective and turn down the jobs that
don't fit into your niche. In the meantime you might end up doing or
building some things that you would rather not mess with. In time, it
will pay off.

Good luck and keep after it!

Mike O.

Membership requirements? Puff Griffis Woodworking 19 February 16th 04 07:46 AM
New Woodworking Magazine? John E. Flatley, Jr. Woodworking 26 February 8th 04 03:44 PM
FAQ Marlene & John Schwab Woodworking 2 October 23rd 03 12:47 AM
Woodworking Teacher(s) Jack Grube Woodworking 2 October 13th 03 08:13 AM