Mark Cooper

Default WOW...Let's try this again...Shoud I rewire for 220?

I had no idea I would start a flame war!! Thanks for all the input, though.

Here's the rest of the details to address the rest of the issues raised in
the responses:

1. When I said "true" 1 HP, I meant "continuously developed." In other
words, it isn't one of those marketing jobs like my shop vac which has 6.25
Peak HP!! (Horse hockey...my shop vac wouldn't know 6 and a quarter horses
if they all crapped down it's hose at the same time.)
2. Wired for 110 the jointer is rated for 12.5 amps.
3. It has a double-pole switch, so no changes are necessary to run 220v.
4. My 220 drop comes straight out of my main panel...no subpanels.

So I guess the bottom line is: Will the motor actually run any better?
I've been told by some local guys I trust that the motor may not develop any
more HP on 220, but it won't bog as easily either on the tough stuff. Will
it run cooler, and will wiring it for 220 provide an extra measure of safety
against burning-out the motor?

Thanks again for all your assistance!! (And you guys play nicely!!)

Steve

Mark;

Double the voltage means half the current. Thus, lower power losses to
heat in the circuit between the panel and the motor. Also, less voltage
drop between the panel and the motor. So the motor should have less
tendency to bog down when you put a heavy load on it. This is when the
higher voltage will make a difference.

--Steve

Mark Cooper wrote:
[...]

George E. Cawthon

Mark Cooper wrote:
[...]

I think LRod answered your questions right away,
most of the rest was just ****in in the water. I
have a Sear's 1 hp (12.2a on 120v) that has been
running since the '60s. I can't answer your
questions from a technical standpoint, but I would
bet you couldn't possibly tell if it was running
on 240 or 120. So do whatever is most convenient.
Al Reid

"Mark Cooper" wrote in message news:1111026751.87fd9cfa7d8df445abcd4d2338905f6d@t eranews...
[...]

You didn't say what other tools you have or will be buying. If you plan to buy a cabinet saw or any tools with 2HP or greater
motors, I would go ahead and run 240V circuits in the shop. If you are running new circuits, go ahead and run the 240. If not,
just stick with the 120V.

I currently have a jointer, planer, bandsaw, contractors saw, drill press, dedicated mortiser and router table in my shop. The
largest motor is 1.5 HP and all are run from 120V. At this point I see no reason for me to change to 240V. However, If I decide to
upgrade my contractors saw to a cabinet saw (3 to 5 HP) I will run the 240 and then consider selectively converting the other tools
to 240.

HTH,

--

Al Reid

Mike Marlow

"Mark Cooper" wrote in message
news:1111026751.87fd9cfa7d8df445abcd4d2338905f6d@t eranews...

I had no idea I would start a flame war!! Thanks for all the input,

though.

Hell Mark - just about every post generates a flame war around here these
days. Must be one long PMS cycle for the group.
--

-Mike-

Max

Mark Cooper wrote:
[...]

What gauge wire supplies the motor now? How long is the run from the main?
If you have a fairly long run and it's #14 wire, you will likely see some
improvement with #12 and 220V.

Max

Bob G.

You didn't say what other tools you have or will be buying. If you plan to buy a cabinet saw or any tools with 2HP or greater
motors, I would go ahead and run 240V circuits in the shop. If you are running new circuits, go ahead and run the 240. If not,
just stick with the 120V.

I came into this thread a little late...so I missed allot of posts....

But if this is a new shop the OP is wiring...

I would have at least 3 220 v circuits installed.. or prewired

My little 24 x 24 shop has one 220 circuit dedicated to heat and air
conditioning.. .a second one solely for my Tablesaw and a 3rd for
the DC..

Just my opinion...

Bob Griffiths

Pat Barber

Hmmmm...

Table saw - 220
jointer - 220
bandsaw - 220
Dust Coll. - 220
Table saw II - 220

I assume you will buy other tools someday.

Duane Bozarth

Steve wrote:
Double the voltage means half the current. Thus, lower power losses to
heat in the circuit between the panel and the motor. Also, less voltage
drop between the panel and the motor. So the motor should have less
tendency to bog down when you put a heavy load on it. This is when the
higher voltage will make a difference.

Well done...

I'd only add that unless you do very heavy surfacing or rabbeting
operations, the load you're likely to impose w/ a jointer is minimal if
the knives are kept well sharpened. If otoh you hear it bog
occasionally, it's a good clue that the higher voltage will help w/
lower temperature rise, but still unless you're using the jointer nearly
continuously in a production environment the likelihood of noticeable
harm is miniscule.

As someone else notes, in general if the shop is presently wired w/ 14ga
for 15A you might actually observe a difference under heavy load.
Personally, I'd run 12ga/220V service just on general principles to have
it and switch over everything I had/could, but that's simply personal
preference/choice for myself as much as anything--although my tablesaw
and planer are 220V only, so it was no more real effort/expense to run
enough to supply the whole shop...

IMO, YMMV, $0.02, etc.....
Doug Miller

In article , "Max" wrote:

What gauge wire supplies the motor now? How long is the run from the main?
If you have a fairly long run and it's #14 wire, you will likely see some
improvement with #12 and 220V.

If it's a long run with #14 wire, he'll see improvement with #12 at 120V.

--
Regards,

Max

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
om...
In article , "Max"
wrote:

What gauge wire supplies the motor now? How long is the run from the
main?
If you have a fairly long run and it's #14 wire, you will likely see some
improvement with #12 and 220V.

If it's a long run with #14 wire, he'll see improvement with #12 at 120V.

--
Regards,

LOL Well, yeah. He would also see some improvement with #14 @220.

Max

Steve

You are most likely to see a performance difference when the motor's
current draw is near the limit of the circuit you connect it to. Your 1
HP motor draws 12 amps at 120v, which is fairly close to the capacity of
a 15-amp circuit. Remember that an induction motor will draw about
twice as much current for the first couple seconds as it starts to spin
up to speed. If you connect it to a 15-amp circuit thru an extension
cord (NOT recommended), or if the run from the outlet to the breaker box
is long, you'll notice it taking longer to come up to speed, and it may
trip the breaker.

I have a Craftsman TS with a 1.5HP motor. When I connect it to the
20-amp curcuit with a 25-ft 10AWG extension cord it starts fine. Just
once, I connected it to a 15-amp circuit instead, and the first time it
started up pretty slow, and the second time I started it, it kicked the
breaker. I don't do that any more.

Extension cords are generally not recommended for these tools, because
the extra copper between the wall and the motor will reduce the voltage
to the motor, and it will run hotter. If you have to use one, make it
the heaviest one you can find, and keep it as short as possible. For
your 12-amp motor, I wouldn't use anything less than 12AWG, and no more
than 25 feet. My 10AWG cord was designed for use with an RV, and it's
supposed to be rated at 25 amps.

--Steve

House rewire Joe UK diy 8 December 5th 04 04:21 PM
Advice on rewire of domestic lighting circuits John Southern UK diy 5 August 5th 04 09:16 AM
rewire house - advice please george139 UK diy 15 February 4th 04 11:33 PM
To rewire, and how? bummster Woodworking 6 October 1st 03 09:43 PM
How much does a typical house cost to rewire? Andy Hall UK diy 1 August 13th 03 10:01 AM