DWalker

Default Lathe tool steel

I am about to buy a new set of lathe tools, and was wanting to know if the
2060 grade steel is really worth the extra money. I read claims of greatly
increasing the time between sharpening. Does the steel have any advantages
beyond just holding an edge longer?

I have been looking at the Packard tools from Packard Woodworks. This looks
like a private labeled brand. I have also looked at Hamlet Tools from Craft
Supplies USA.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Dennis

Phisherman

I have Sorby tools, a couple scrapers, large gouge, bowl gouge, skew,
and parting tool. The bowl gouge is probably used the least. Not
cheap, but will last a lifetime.

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 08:43:28 -0500, "DWalker"
wrote:

I am about to buy a new set of lathe tools, and was wanting to know if the
2060 grade steel is really worth the extra money. I read claims of greatly
increasing the time between sharpening. Does the steel have any advantages
beyond just holding an edge longer?

I have been looking at the Packard tools from Packard Woodworks. This looks
like a private labeled brand. I have also looked at Hamlet Tools from Craft
Supplies USA.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Dennis

Patriarch

"DWalker" wrote in
:

I am about to buy a new set of lathe tools, and was wanting to know if
the 2060 grade steel is really worth the extra money. I read claims of
greatly increasing the time between sharpening. Does the steel have
any advantages beyond just holding an edge longer?

I have been looking at the Packard tools from Packard Woodworks. This
looks like a private labeled brand. I have also looked at Hamlet Tools
from Craft Supplies USA.

You may get a different, more focused audience at rec.crafts.woodturning.

Patriarch
George

"DWalker" wrote in message
I am about to buy a new set of lathe tools, and was wanting to know if the
2060 grade steel is really worth the extra money. I read claims of greatly
increasing the time between sharpening. Does the steel have any advantages
beyond just holding an edge longer?

I have been looking at the Packard tools from Packard Woodworks. This

looks
like a private labeled brand. I have also looked at Hamlet Tools from

Craft
Supplies USA.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I have a couple of the 2030 powdered metal types - Packard is Hamlet, BTW -
and they seem to be good, useful tools. Don't cut as cleanly as carbon
steel even when fresh, but they do hold what passes with them for an edge
pretty well. Seems to resist heating when hogging on hard maple as well as
HSS.

First tools? Get your finishing gouges in PM, then roughing, skew, parting
and scrapers in HSS alloys. Most versatility.

I have a 1" bowl gouge of A2, and he's as good as they come for slow speed
and rough work, so I don't believe in hard and fast "rules" for alloys.