Ed Perreaux

Default Can you identify this chair

Hi guys and dolls
Can you identify this chair?
I know that it is pre- 1948. That is it.

Ed

Ed Perreaux

That was great - here is where you can find the pic of the chair.

http://users.accesscomm.ca/perreauxgenealogy/Chair.html

Ed

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when "Ed Perreaux"
wrote:

Can you identify this chair?

Made by the Blind Fugly Brothers, sometime just after WW1 at a guess.

Arms look bandsawn, rather than drawknifed, and is that flat back made
of pressed plywood ?
Fly-by-Night CC

In article ,
"Ed Perreaux" wrote:

Hi guys and dolls
Can you identify this chair?
I know that it is pre- 1948. That is it.

Looks older than mid-20th century. Maybe Victorian with a touch of
Eastlake... The paw feets and what appears to be a bookmatched veneer on
the upper back lead me in that direction. I dunno - maybecouldbe of east
Asian origin with the style of paw carving and heavy quality to the arms.

I like it, by the way, Fugly Bros or not.

--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05
BobS

I can see why the reference to Asian origins but having a leather covered
back and most likely a leather seat - I doubt it came from the far east but
would agree it has an Asian influence.

Look close for a makers mark - bottom of rails and even on the feet. Take
some mineral spirits and clean those areas (lightly) to see if you can see
any stamps, icon symbols etc. that may give a clue as to it's origins. I
live in an area where there are a lot of dealers and antique shows and can't
remember ever seeing anything close to that style. It's a chair designed to
be in one place and not moved

Bob S.

"Fly-by-Night CC" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Ed Perreaux" wrote:

Hi guys and dolls
Can you identify this chair?
I know that it is pre- 1948. That is it.

Looks older than mid-20th century. Maybe Victorian with a touch of
Eastlake... The paw feets and what appears to be a bookmatched veneer on
the upper back lead me in that direction. I dunno - maybecouldbe of east
Asian origin with the style of paw carving and heavy quality to the arms.

I like it, by the way, Fugly Bros or not.

--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company
____

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05

patrick conroy

"Ed Perreaux" wrote in message

That was great - here is where you can find the pic of the chair.

Public Service Snip

Oh my Lord...

My eyes!
My eyes!

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when "patrick conroy"
wrote:

My eyes!
My eyes!

Now you know how the Fugly Brothers went blind !

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 13:29:03 -0800, the inscrutable Fly-by-Night CC
spake:

In article ,
"Ed Perreaux" wrote:

Hi guys and dolls
Can you identify this chair?
I know that it is pre- 1948. That is it.

Looks older than mid-20th century. Maybe Victorian with a touch of
Eastlake... The paw feets and what appears to be a bookmatched veneer on
the upper back lead me in that direction. I dunno - maybecouldbe of east
Asian origin with the style of paw carving and heavy quality to the arms.

I like it, by the way, Fugly Bros or not.

Not just ugly, BFU.

I drank WHAT? + http://www.diversify.com
--Socrates + Web Application Programming
Robatoy

In article ,
"Ed Perreaux" wrote:

That was great - here is where you can find the pic of the chair.

http://users.accesscomm.ca/perreauxgenealogy/Chair.html

Ed

That is a Pullman chair. Made for private railroad cars around 1910.
You can tell by the rich Corinthian upholstery as documented by the
Montelbahn Gallery.
If you had 3 more and the matching table, you'd be sitting on a fortune.
Actually, you'd be sitting with your ass on the floor wondering who just
fed you this line of ****.
mp

Can you identify this chair?
I know that it is pre- 1948. That is it.

That's not a chair, that's a portable biffy. Dig a hole in the ground, place
said object over top, and let 'er rip. Comes in handy when you're planting
corn out in the back 40.

mp

That's not a chair, that's a portable biffy. Dig a hole in the ground,
place said object over top, and let 'er rip. Comes in handy when you're
planting corn out in the back 40.

That wasn't me but a resident smartass taking advantage of the fact that I
was on the phone away from my computer. I hate it when that happens.

My greatgrandparents had a room full of very similar pieces--several
chairs and a sofa--black leather, wood was probably mahogany. They
built and furnished their house in the early- to mid- 1920s, IIRC.
I'd look for something from that era. Sorry I don't know more about
the chair.

Dan