Woodchuck34

Default Church Booth Plans

One of the greatest things about being a woodworker is the respect and
reverence you receive from your family, friends, and neighbors,
especially when they need something. You can imagine how proud I felt,
when my neighbors asked for my help in constructing a booth for the
Church Fair. They said things like "you're very handy", "you're so
talented" and "saw envy". Blinded by such flattery, I pumped out my
chest and said "Yes, I will build it".

Unfortunately, now I actually have to build it and the clock is
ticking...

DAGS and found nothing on booths or stands (church, fair, festival, or
carnival related). This is a couple of basic boxes but I was wondering
if anyone had been roped in to building one (which I'm sure has
happened). What I'm really after are ideas on how to make this thing
easy to knock down and set up.

This specific booth is of the "football toss through a hole" variety,
so anyone's opinion in an especially similar circumstance, would be
quite welcome.

Chuck

Mike Marlow

"Woodchuck34" wrote in message
ups.com...
One of the greatest things about being a woodworker is the respect and
reverence you receive from your family, friends, and neighbors,
especially when they need something. You can imagine how proud I felt,
when my neighbors asked for my help in constructing a booth for the
Church Fair. They said things like "you're very handy", "you're so
talented" and "saw envy". Blinded by such flattery, I pumped out my
chest and said "Yes, I will build it".

Sucker!!!!! (Ask me how I know...)

Unfortunately, now I actually have to build it and the clock is
ticking...

Get yourself a bunch of 2x4's and some carriage bolts, washers and wing
nuts. Build the uprights like you would the corner in a house - two 2x4's
with scraps of 2x4 between them. The scrap between creates a space that a
perpendicular 2x4 will just slide into. Place the scrap so that the 2x4
that slide in sits on top of the scrap between the doubled up 2x4's. Run a
carriage bolt through the intersection and throw the washer and wing nut on
it. Don't go crazy trying to brace the thing seven ways to Sunday until you
put it all together and see how rigid the assembly is. Even then, use
minimum bracing. Remember - this is not a house, it's a game booth and it
will see little use. Set up and knock down are as important as making
something that will withstand the next 8.5 earthquake.

-Mike-

George

[...]

It's a front made with a counter for taking tickets and issuing footballs.
Stands on its own, with a signboard on 2x posts.

Back is a pair of uprights braced and/or weighted against tumbling,
supporting the blanket with the hole, and the sloped blanket used to end the
flight of the ball..

Now, if outside, you can spike them in place through predrilled holes and
hang a tarp across.

Rick Cook

Woodchuck34 wrote:
[...]

Prefab everything and put the corners together with loose-pin hinges.
Do some experimenting to figure out the hole placement.
Make the counter where the customers' stand extremely sturdy (3/4"
supported with 2X4 braces is not overkill.)
For the rest of it, cloth stretched on frames is good.
--RC
George

"Rick Cook" wrote in message
Prefab everything and put the corners together with loose-pin hinges.
Do some experimenting to figure out the hole placement.
Make the counter where the customers' stand extremely sturdy (3/4"
supported with 2X4 braces is not overkill.)
For the rest of it, cloth stretched on frames is good.

My favorite for things that must be stored
http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product... 20connectors

Sturdy and cheap.

Kitchen booth plans Ros Woodworking 2 February 14th 05 01:37 PM
rec.woodworking ANTI-FAQ Part 6 of 10 - Plans Luigi Zanasi Woodworking 0 April 1st 04 09:16 AM
FAQ Marlene & John Schwab Woodworking 2 October 23rd 03 12:47 AM
Plans Tom Watson Woodworking 4 August 23rd 03 03:57 AM
Protecting Designs WoodJunkie Woodworking 3 August 4th 03 02:08 PM