Leonard Lopez

Default Ryobi AP10 adjustment

My AP10 is a great little machine, but the thickness varies a bit across
the finished board (up to 1/64 if I remember correctly) I looked into
the drive mechanism in the top section and it does not appear to have a
fine adjustment capability. Has anybody worked out a procedure for
adjusting it (easily).

Len

LL

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 11:11:10 -0600, Leonard Lopez
wrote:

My AP10 is a great little machine, but the thickness varies a bit across
the finished board (up to 1/64 if I remember correctly) I looked into
the drive mechanism in the top section and it does not appear to have a
fine adjustment capability. Has anybody worked out a procedure for
adjusting it (easily).

Len

I once had this on an AP-10 that I've since sold to someone else.
Like you, I looked for an adjustment. There is none, so I carefully
disassembled enough to reindex one of the bevel gears at the top of
the screw that raises/lowers the cutter mechanism. I changed mine by
1 tooth. In my case, I moved it 1 tooth in the direction that caused
it to lower the cutter on the side that left the board a little thick.
Of couse, you could move the gear on the thin side, but would then
move it in the direction of raising said cutter.
Leon

"Leonard Lopez" wrote in message
My AP10 is a great little machine, but the thickness varies a bit across
the finished board (up to 1/64 if I remember correctly) I looked into the
drive mechanism in the top section and it does not appear to have a fine
adjustment capability. Has anybody worked out a procedure for adjusting
it (easily).

Len

About 8 years ago I took mine in to the repair center to have that fixed.
Apparently too much slop in the set up. Oddly they charged me $15 to fix
it. The machine is going on 17 years old and still works as good as new.

Ralph E Lindberg

wrote:

[...]

I never tried that, but the above was why I dumped mine, and explained
to the guy that bought it -why- I was selling it

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
LL

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 05:36:54 -0800, Ralph E Lindberg
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

When I sold mine, I did not say it had ever had an uneven thickness
problem. It hadn't reverted to doing that after my reindexing of the
gears. I got a new one simple because I wanted a machine with the
capability of planing wider boards and my concern with replacement
knife availability.

Ryobi, why no demand for it? Andrew Woodworking 34 January 9th 05 08:02 PM
On lateral adjustment, Bailey planes Australopithecus scobis Woodworking 11 September 9th 04 10:16 PM
M akita or RYOBI Phil UK diy 37 March 9th 04 05:47 PM
Ryobi & Craftsman (newbie Q) RLK Woodworking 7 September 24th 03 01:06 AM
Ryobi vs DeWalt cordless review Sam Hopkins Woodworking 8 September 11th 03 04:43 PM