Kevin Weber

Default Planer Washboard Marks

Can anyone tell me what these washboard marks on my planed boards are a
result of ? They do not appear along the entire board but rather only about
15" down the planed board. It seems to be in exactly the same spot on every
board . I have a Delta 12" portable planer. Any information would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks

Larry Bud

Kevin Weber wrote:
Can anyone tell me what these washboard marks on my planed boards are

result of ? They do not appear along the entire board but rather

only about
15" down the planed board. It seems to be in exactly the same spot on

every
board . I have a Delta 12" portable planer. Any information would be

greatly
appreciated. Thanks

How deep and large are they? All rotary cutting tools will make these
kinds of marks, but most are not very visible.

Dave Hinz

On 4 Mar 2005 12:23:35 -0800, Larry Bud wrote:

Kevin Weber wrote:
Can anyone tell me what these washboard marks on my planed boards are

result of ? They do not appear along the entire board but rather

only about
15" down the planed board. It seems to be in exactly the same spot on

every
board . I have a Delta 12" portable planer. Any information would be

greatly
appreciated. Thanks

How deep and large are they? All rotary cutting tools will make these
kinds of marks, but most are not very visible.

I think he's talking about snipe. Caused by the end of the board moving up
and/or down during it's linear travel. An infeed or outfeed roller at
exactly the right height can help. Some planers just do it.

Dave Hinz

bremen68

Kevin Weber wrote:
Can anyone tell me what these washboard marks on my planed boards are

result of ? They do not appear along the entire board but rather

only about
15" down the planed board. It seems to be in exactly the same spot on

every
board . I have a Delta 12" portable planer. Any information would be

greatly
appreciated. Thanks

Howdy Kevin, I have the same planer. Have you checked the alignment of
your entrance and exit tables? That seems to happen for me when I'm
running something thru and I don't support it correctly.

AAvK

Can anyone tell me what these washboard marks on my planed boards are a
result of ? They do not appear along the entire board but rather only about 15" down the planed board. It seems to be in exactly
the same spot on every board . I have a Delta 12" portable planer. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

That happened to me last tuesday in adult ed. using an oliver 12" jointer
(awesome machine too) with newly sharpened blades. Nice stick of 8/4
maple. Each mark or concave is about 1/4" wide, I supposed it was the
result of pushing the board too fast, which was too easy because of the
new sharpening.

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Stephen Pinn

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 19:40:17 GMT, "Kevin Weber" wrote:

Can anyone tell me what these washboard marks on my planed boards are a
result of ? They do not appear along the entire board but rather only about
15" down the planed board. It seems to be in exactly the same spot on every
board . I have a Delta 12" portable planer. Any information would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks

How deep a cut are you making?

Marc

I hope these questions can help:

If you have long boards, are they well supported (entrance and exit)?

Are the blades well fixed ?

Are the feeding rolls clean and the belt in good shape?

Is the oder side of the boards have some default?

Are the feeding tables well adjusted and well fixed?

Do you ear a special noise when this situation append?

"Kevin Weber" a écrit dans le message de news:
BQ2Wd.571047$Xk.96579@pd7tw3no...
Can anyone tell me what these washboard marks on my planed boards are a
result of ? They do not appear along the entire board but rather only
about 15" down the planed board. It seems to be in exactly the same spot
on every board . I have a Delta 12" portable planer. Any information would
be greatly appreciated. Thanks

George

"AAvK" wrote in message

Can anyone tell me what these washboard marks on my planed boards are a
result of ? They do not appear along the entire board but rather only

about 15" down the planed board. It seems to be in exactly
the same spot on every board . I have a Delta 12" portable planer. Any

information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

That happened to me last tuesday in adult ed. using an oliver 12" jointer
(awesome machine too) with newly sharpened blades. Nice stick of 8/4
maple. Each mark or concave is about 1/4" wide, I supposed it was the
result of pushing the board too fast, which was too easy because of the
new sharpening.

Even if you're feeding (or, with a planer feeding itself) properly, one high
cutter can do that. New sharpening means new height setting, so my money
goes there.

AAvK

Even if you're feeding (or, with a planer feeding itself) properly, one high
cutter can do that. New sharpening means new height setting, so my money
goes there.

Yeah that makes some sense George, the head of the shop is an 85 (or so) year old fella,
coulda been that... he explaned a very strange seeing problem he has too, and he has a
nerve tick that can be pretty bad, as I've seen. One cannot help but love the guy though,
such a smile and positive, helpful attitude.

JOINTING WITH A PLANER J T Woodworking 4 January 3rd 05 11:54 PM
DIY planer blade sharpening revisitied:-) Lyndell Thompson Woodworking 0 March 25th 04 03:15 AM
Cleaning up planer marks? Toller Woodworking 10 February 27th 04 02:39 PM
Wide Planer, or Compact Planer + Wide Sander? Nate B Woodworking 5 January 21st 04 08:19 PM
DeWalt 735 planer review. BRFordJr Woodworking 11 December 16th 03 03:44 PM