Av8fan66

Default Tratry Radial arm saw II

Hello,

Thanks to all that replied re my saw blade question.

Now the next snag: Power.

this saw comes with a 3Phase AC motor
3.3 KW
4.5 HP
330/575 V
7.3 AMP
60 CY
90 PF %

Obviously way too much for use at home. It is a direct drive motor
and I cant hook it up due to its being 3 phase.

I have asked around to see about a single phase replacement motor, or
re wiring this, but no luck. I know that going to a 1 phase would
likely mean less cutting power, but really I can live with that.

DL

"Av8fan66" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

Thanks to all that replied re my saw blade question.

Now the next snag: Power.

this saw comes with a 3Phase AC motor
3.3 KW
4.5 HP
330/575 V
7.3 AMP
60 CY
90 PF %

Obviously way too much for use at home. It is a direct drive motor
and I cant hook it up due to its being 3 phase.

I have asked around to see about a single phase replacement motor, or
re wiring this, but no luck. I know that going to a 1 phase would
likely mean less cutting power, but really I can live with that.

I would recommend purchasing a Static or Rotary Phase converter. They are
sold on eBay all the time or you can get them from Grainger or other
vendors. This will covert your single phase power to 3 phase.

Additionally, I assume you could purchase a variable frequency AC drive. I
plan to purchase one of these for my Powermatic Model 90 lathe that has a 3
phase motor in it. For the lathe, the VFD is good because it has a
potentiometer on it to control the speed of the lathe. I wouldn't expect
you would need that for an RAS, but you could leave it at a single setting.

I expect a rotary phase converter would be your best bet.

David

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Av8fan66 wrote:
Hello,

Thanks to all that replied re my saw blade question.

Now the next snag: Power.

this saw comes with a 3Phase AC motor
3.3 KW
4.5 HP
330/575 V
7.3 AMP
60 CY
90 PF %

Obviously way too much for use at home. It is a direct drive motor
and I cant hook it up due to its being 3 phase.

I have asked around to see about a single phase replacement motor, or
re wiring this, but no luck. I know that going to a 1 phase would
likely mean less cutting power, but really I can live with that.

Lotsa Luck. Replacing motors is *really* problematic with direct-drive.

Other than the equipment manufacturer -- *if* they offer anything --
you're probably looking at a "custom" motor re-builder, who _might_ be
able build a single-phase assembly around the rotor/stator you have.
Be sure you're sitting down when you ask for the price quote.

Len Rauth

(Av8fan66) wrote in news:c3c99f92.0503040554.41269ae6
@posting.google.com:

Hello,

Thanks to all that replied re my saw blade question.

Now the next snag: Power.

this saw comes with a 3Phase AC motor
3.3 KW
4.5 HP
330/575 V
7.3 AMP
60 CY
90 PF %

Obviously way too much for use at home. It is a direct drive motor
and I cant hook it up due to its being 3 phase.

I have asked around to see about a single phase replacement motor, or
re wiring this, but no luck. I know that going to a 1 phase would
likely mean less cutting power, but really I can live with that.

You have several options, as some have already stated.

I built a static phase converter for use with my Unisaw that I bought
from an industrial user. If you are reasonably comfortable with
electricity, it isn't that bad. You just need to keep in mind that this
is ~200-300VAC. Make sure that the power is off when you are in the box
working.

Try these links:
http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/ph-conv/ph-conv.html
http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/ph...converter.html

Neither of these are the one that I used to make mine, that site has gone
belly up, apparently. But these are the same theory.

Even if you don't build your own, at least with these you can get a
better understanding of what you are paying someone else to do for you.
That's something I always want to understand.

If I were to do it again (and I may do this soon) I would probably go
with a rotary converter. If you read a little about phase converters,
you will find that you get the best performance when using a rotary.
Now, with a 4.5HP motor, you may not miss the power that you lose.

Another thing to keep in mind is that if you are going to use a converter
on your present motor, you need to make sure that you have adequate
wiring to your saw. 4.5HP will draw a decent amount of current.

Best of luck,
Len