Tattooed and Dusty

Default Plane Question

So first the gloat. I made my first bad ass mortice and tenon joint
today. Bad ass meaning perfect, square, tight, ya know perfect.
Considering the mortice was through three inches of african teak, three
inches in length, and using my inch reg mortice chisel I am pretty
happy with the whole affair.

So the question. I think a big chunk of the success of this joint is
due to my new fancy Lie Nelson Rabbet Block Plane. It rocks, and is on
sale at woodcraft this month. So finally the question, when I tighten
down on the brass screw to lock the blade in place it frequently skews
off the the side. It seems to be square ground, so I am thinking that
it isn't intentional. Am I wrong about that? I am able to get it to
line up straight but it takes quite a bit of playing around, something
I wasn't expecting. Is this user error? User ignorance? Or something
afoul with my new toy?

Thanks

Looks like you are having a hard time getting an answer. I wish
somebody would reply, as I'm interested in that plane and getting it on
sale, but not if its got those kinds of adjustment problems. I have a
Lee Valley small block plane that does not have any of the symptoms you
describe.

Of course it doesn't have the blade that goes all the way to the sides
either - nice feature.

Bob

Charlie Self

I suggest you call or email LN. Probably a call will be faster in
response, but maybe not.

I've got a Stanley and I've got the Veritas medium, but there are
enough differences that my info is worthless to you. Try LN and then
let the rest of us know, if you will.

Edward LeBlanc

You may be getting carried away with tightening. The wheel is large, so it
is easy to overtighten the lock screw.

From the point of just snug enough to hold the blade in place turn the wheel
an additional 1/4 to 1/2 turn. See if that causes the blade to skew
significantly.

oups.com...

Tattooed and Dusty wrote:

So the question. I think a big chunk of the success of this joint is
due to my new fancy Lie Nelson Rabbet Block Plane. It rocks,

Lapping the sole might help to fix that...

and is on
sale at woodcraft this month. So finally the question, when I tighten
down on the brass screw to lock the blade in place it frequently

skews
off the the side. ...

You might try putting brass shim between the screw and the blade.

--

FF

Tattooed and Dusty

So it seems there is a misunderstanding due to the vagueries of local
dialectical variances.

I was saying the plane rocks. As in is real sweet. Like I am into it.
Not rocks as a rocking horse rocks.

The problem is with the blade adjustment, otherwise a great little
plane.

Tattooed and Dusty wrote:
So it seems there is a misunderstanding due to the vagueries of local
dialectical variances.

I was saying the plane rocks. As in is real sweet. Like I am into it.
Not rocks as a rocking horse rocks.

The problem is with the blade adjustment, otherwise a great little
plane.

I still think I should have used a smiley.

--

FF

Speaking of Lee Valley: Review of large shoulder plane Conan the Librarian Woodworking 4 September 8th 04 12:59 PM
A few hand plane questions toller Woodworking 28 August 6th 04 09:34 PM
hand plane issue Luis Woodworking 2 October 17th 03 05:54 PM
Thanks Steve Knight - Mini Plane Review JackD Woodworking 13 October 8th 03 03:56 AM
Block vs Bench plane Mike W. Woodworking 6 October 5th 03 04:59 PM