AAvK

Default Woodcraft polishing stones

I saw this Chinese natural quarried polishing water stone

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx...&FamilyID=4920

....for final honing of chisels and plane blades. They say they are
12,000 (twelve thousand!) grit for a price that is far lower than
any other stone in this grit range, I think this is a great deal but
has anyone tried one? Does anyone think the grit rating is a tad
unrealistic, or straight up?

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Gordon Airporte

Isn't the danger with natural stones that they sometimes have irregular
particles? Not that an 8000x nick in a 12000x polish would be the end of
the world. To be worth it in theory it would have be finer than .5
micron honing compound, which as far as I know is currently the final
word in honing. Still, you're splitting hairs at this point ;-).

Die polishing stones? Frank J Warner Metalworking 5 January 6th 05 02:26 AM
Shapton Water Stones J Woodworking 15 December 16th 04 06:11 PM
Polishing techniques Frederic Elias Woodworking 3 April 30th 04 05:44 PM
Future of Mold Polishing Nitro Metalworking 1 February 23rd 04 05:22 PM