Frank & Renee

Default Waterlox

Has anyone used Waterlox tung oil finish (high gloss) over a water based
analine dye. I have a curly maple table top that I am getting ready to
finish and was considering trying this.

Thanks,

Frank (Novice Woodworker)

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 00:22:58 GMT, the inscrutable "Frank & Renee"
spake:

Has anyone used Waterlox tung oil finish (high gloss) over a water based
analine dye. I have a curly maple table top that I am getting ready to
finish and was considering trying this.

No, but it should work fine. Try it on a sample of scrap from the
same project.

--
"Menja bé, caga fort!"

George

"stoutman" wrote in message

Seems to me that applying a hydrophobic material onto a hydrophilic

material
would cause problems.

Nope. Works fine. A little bit of transfer is all I've ever experienced.

Slowhand

"Frank & Renee" wrote in message
Has anyone used Waterlox tung oil finish (high gloss) over a water based
analine dye. I have a curly maple table top that I am getting ready to
finish and was considering trying this.

It works fine. Make sure the dye stain is completely dry though because I
have had instances where the dye stain mixes with the waterlox and causes
blotches. I have also had the same problem using polyurethane (both oil
based and water based) so I think the key word here is dry.
SH

B a r r y

Slowhand wrote:
"Frank & Renee" wrote in message

Has anyone used Waterlox tung oil finish (high gloss) over a water based
analine dye. I have a curly maple table top that I am getting ready to
finish and was considering trying this.

It works fine. Make sure the dye stain is completely dry though because I
have had instances where the dye stain mixes with the waterlox and causes
blotches. I have also had the same problem using polyurethane (both oil
based and water based) so I think the key word here is dry.
SH

Maybe a shellac barrier coat would be in order?

Barry
Rick Stein

I have used it over black, water based analine dye. Works fine. I mix
1/3rd Waterlox, 1/3 pure China tung oil, and 1/3rd terpentine. I apply 3
coats of the waterlox mix over the dye, waiting a minimum of 24 hours
between coats.

Rick
http://www.thunderworksinc.com

Frank & Renee wrote:
Has anyone used Waterlox tung oil finish (high gloss) over a water based
analine dye. I have a curly maple table top that I am getting ready to
finish and was considering trying this.

Thanks,

Frank (Novice Woodworker)

patrick conroy

"Frank & Renee" wrote in message

Has anyone used Waterlox tung oil finish (high gloss) over a water based
analine dye. I have a curly maple table top that I am getting ready to

I've done General Finishes Arm-R-Seal over water-based analine dyes lotsa
times.

mp

I have used it over black, water based analine dye. Works fine. I mix 1/3rd
Waterlox, 1/3 pure China tung oil, and 1/3rd terpentine. I apply 3 coats of
the waterlox mix over the dye, waiting a minimum of 24 hours between coats.

Isn't Waterlox already a mixture of varnish and tung oil?

George

"B a r r y" wrote in message
om...
Slowhand wrote:
"Frank & Renee" wrote in message

Has anyone used Waterlox tung oil finish (high gloss) over a water based
analine dye. I have a curly maple table top that I am getting ready to
finish and was considering trying this.

It works fine. Make sure the dye stain is completely dry though because

have had instances where the dye stain mixes with the waterlox and

causes
blotches. I have also had the same problem using polyurethane (both oil
based and water based) so I think the key word here is dry.
SH

Maybe a shellac barrier coat would be in order?

Not if the dye solvent is alcohol or water.

stoutman

Dewaxed shellac over water based stain seems to be the way to go. I have
never tried it but in the latest issue of FWW pg 36, the author seals water
based dye stain with dewaxed shellac before applying a glaze coat consisting
of oil based varnish.

"George" george@least wrote in message

"B a r r y" wrote in
message
om...
Slowhand wrote:
"Frank & Renee" wrote in message

Has anyone used Waterlox tung oil finish (high gloss) over a water
based
analine dye. I have a curly maple table top that I am getting ready to
finish and was considering trying this.

It works fine. Make sure the dye stain is completely dry though
because

have had instances where the dye stain mixes with the waterlox and

causes
blotches. I have also had the same problem using polyurethane (both
oil
based and water based) so I think the key word here is dry.
SH

Maybe a shellac barrier coat would be in order?

Not if the dye solvent is alcohol or water.

Nate Perkins

"Frank & Renee" wrote in news:CvtUd.51016
$sR5.5822@trndny05:

Has anyone used Waterlox tung oil finish (high gloss) over a water based
analine dye. I have a curly maple table top that I am getting ready to
finish and was considering trying this.

Hi Frank,

I've done it. No problems. Here are a couple of boxes I did with aniline
dye on the curly portions, with Waterlox original over all:

http://home.earthlink.net/
~nateperkins1/Woodworking/projects/christmas2004/PC250141.JPG

http://home.earthlink.net/
~nateperkins1/Woodworking/projects/christmas2004/PC250142.JPG
Slowhand

"mp" wrote in message
I have used it over black, water based analine dye. Works fine. I mix
1/3rd Waterlox, 1/3 pure China tung oil, and 1/3rd terpentine. I apply 3
coats of the waterlox mix over the dye, waiting a minimum of 24 hours
between coats.

Isn't Waterlox already a mixture of varnish and tung oil?

I hate it when this happens. I started using Waterlox because I got tired
of making my own blend. You mean I'm still missing out? Dang. I will
admit to thinning waterlox on occasion though ;-)
SH