Default What tool: Notching a stud

How would you go about cutting a notch in a regular 2x4 stud
across the grain, so that the notch is 1.5" into the grain
and 3.5" along it? (i.e. to embed one 2x4 crosswise into
another).

I guess a jigsaw could be used but it seems that there's
got to be a better way. What tool should be used to make
this cut?

RPM

DanG

This is quite a normal cut with a circular saw or table saw. If
the board were quite long, I would use a circular saw, set the
depth for 1 1/2", cross cut to your hearts content, be extra
careful at each end to control the width of the notch.

Shorter board, same game with table saw using a miter gauge.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

wrote in message
oups.com...
How would you go about cutting a notch in a regular 2x4 stud
across the grain, so that the notch is 1.5" into the grain
and 3.5" along it? (i.e. to embed one 2x4 crosswise into
another).

I guess a jigsaw could be used but it seems that there's
got to be a better way. What tool should be used to make
this cut?

RPM

CW

Standard practice on a construction site is to make multiple cuts to depth
with a cicular saw and clear the waste with a chisel or hatchet, depending
on the desired appearance.

wrote in message
oups.com...
How would you go about cutting a notch in a regular 2x4 stud
across the grain, so that the notch is 1.5" into the grain
and 3.5" along it? (i.e. to embed one 2x4 crosswise into
another).

I guess a jigsaw could be used but it seems that there's
got to be a better way. What tool should be used to make
this cut?

RPM

John Hofstad-Parkhill

Depends...
Is the stud current part of a wall? If so, probably a circular saw & chisel.

If not, and I had access to a radial arm saw, that would be the ticket.

If there were a LOT of them to do, and lacking a radial arm, probably a
jig and router.

If just one or a few, certainly a circular saw and a chisel.

said the following on 2/27/2005 4:44 PM:
How would you go about cutting a notch in a regular 2x4 stud
across the grain, so that the notch is 1.5" into the grain
and 3.5" along it? (i.e. to embed one 2x4 crosswise into
another).

I guess a jigsaw could be used but it seems that there's
got to be a better way. What tool should be used to make
this cut?

RPM

IBM5081

Jigsaw with aggressive blade. Mark the piece to be removed; first cut
is continuous from entry-to-exit with turns at the corners. Clean up
the corners after the bulk of the removal is complete.
If it does not have to look nice, make the corner turns wider such that
everything goes on the first cut and the bottom of the cut is wider
than it needs to be.
If it needs to be "better" than a jigsaw, how does it need to be
"better"
(other than not requiring a jigsaw purchase)?

Charlie Self

Use a hammer with a ripping claw, and if a fine fit is not needed, you
don't need the chisel.

Thanks all for the great responses. That will help me out greatly.

Duane Bozarth wrote:

What about a hand saw?

Only if you want a good fit, fast, and with minimal effort.

A couple of cuts at each end and one or two at most in the middle and
you can knocke the chunks out...clean up a little w/ a chisel and

you're
down by the time you can get the circular saw out and the depth

set...

Yes.

--

FF

HerHusband

How would you go about cutting a notch in a regular 2x4 stud
across the grain, so that the notch is 1.5" into the grain
and 3.5" along it? (i.e. to embed one 2x4 crosswise into
another).

1. Hold the board you want to inset against the studs and trace the sides
of the board on the stud(s).

2. Lay the board on the floor, set the circular saw on top, and adjust the
depth of cut so it matches the thickness of the board.

3. Cut the stud(s) at the upper and lower mark, and then make a few passes
in between. I usually space the cuts about 1/4" to 1/2" apart. It takes a
few more seconds, but it's easier to knock the pieces out and produces a
bit cleaner notch.

4. Take a hammer and knock out the pieces. You can clean up the notch with
the claw of the framing hammer, or use a chisel if you really want to be
neat.

We built our own house last year and had to inset a lot of diagonal braces
in the walls. So I notched a LOT of studs like I described above.

Depending on your intended function, you might just install blocking
"Between" the studs. I had to install a lot of blocking in our master
bedroom to nail up T&G pine boards vertically. In that situation it was
easier to put the blocking in and attach it with screws, especially since
the insulation and wiring was already in place.

Anthony