Keith

Default Great saw - Useless dust bag!

I'm more than pleased with my 12" Makita sliding compound miter saw but the
assurance in the book that it will capture a good bit of the dust is
definitely out-to-lunch. Judging by the amount of sawing I've done of late
and the amount of dust in the bag I would say 95% or more of it went
elsewhere :O)

Yes, I checked to see if the chute was plugged.. Fortunately I was working
nears a window upstairs, which I opened so most of the dust went outside.
The only answer in the workshop would be to connect my dust collector to a
box mounted behind the saw.

Apart from the dust bag problem this is one heck of a saw, especially for
cutting wide moldings!

KP

Charlie Self

Stick a shop vacuum on it to improve dust collection to maybe 25%. Dust
collection on all of these saws I've ever tried is poor.

Best bet: make a cone (with square corners, though) and fit that behind
the SCMS, with a vacuum or DC hooked up. Similar to what you'd use with
an RAS. That works well.

Dick Snyder

I have a Bosch 10" saw that Santa gave me and after doing over 40 miters for
a cabinet I am making, the dust bag is nearly empty. I plan to build a table
for it with extending arms once this cabinet project is over. I am also
going to make a dust collector something like this:

http://www.bburke.com/wood/jigsandtools.html

(Scroll to the bottom of his webpage)

"Keith" wrote in message
I'm more than pleased with my 12" Makita sliding compound miter saw but
the
assurance in the book that it will capture a good bit of the dust is
definitely out-to-lunch. Judging by the amount of sawing I've done of late
and the amount of dust in the bag I would say 95% or more of it went
elsewhere :O)

Yes, I checked to see if the chute was plugged.. Fortunately I was working
nears a window upstairs, which I opened so most of the dust went outside.
The only answer in the workshop would be to connect my dust collector to a
box mounted behind the saw.

Apart from the dust bag problem this is one heck of a saw, especially for
cutting wide moldings!

KP

Never Enough Money

Dick, nice ideas, thanks! Regarding the dust hood for the sliding miter
saw, did you consider a small one about 8 inches high and 8 inches wide
that just fit at the back underneath the slide post? I was thinking of
building one like that.... I'd attach it with c-clamps.

Dick Snyder

There is a product called Downdrafter:

http://www.downdrafter.com/

It incorporates your wishes. It is quite expensive but you could probably
duplicate the ideas. The dust hood can be on a little stand with rollers (
you will see that on the website) or there is a second version that has
allows you to move the dust hood back and forth on a slide attached to the
table on which the miter saw is attached. This is also on the website.

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
oups.com...
Dick, nice ideas, thanks! Regarding the dust hood for the sliding miter
saw, did you consider a small one about 8 inches high and 8 inches wide
that just fit at the back underneath the slide post? I was thinking of
building one like that.... I'd attach it with c-clamps.

Dick Snyder

I also have two pictures of a home brew dust hood that someone made. Kind of
clever. I got them from APBW I think but I don't know the author. If you
like, I can email them to you but I feel funny about posting them on APBW
again since I don't know the originator.

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
oups.com...
Dick, nice ideas, thanks! Regarding the dust hood for the sliding miter
saw, did you consider a small one about 8 inches high and 8 inches wide
that just fit at the back underneath the slide post? I was thinking of
building one like that.... I'd attach it with c-clamps.

mp

I also have two pictures of a home brew dust hood that someone made. Kind
of clever. I got them from APBW I think but I don't know the author. If
you like, I can email them to you but I feel funny about posting them on
APBW again since I don't know the originator.

I wish more people had your kind of consideration and respect for other
people's intellectual property.

Thomas Bunetta

"mp" wrote in message
I also have two pictures of a home brew dust hood that someone made. Kind
of clever. I got them from APBW I think but I don't know the author. If
you like, I can email them to you but I feel funny about posting them on
APBW again since I don't know the originator.

I wish more people had your kind of consideration and respect for other
people's intellectual property.

Amen...
I haven't looked to see how many, but the recent BS there (ABPW) has made my
killfile (blocked senders) grow immensely.
Anyone asking for reposts or supporting the idiot(s) were added.
I just hope none were otherwise decent contributors.
Tom

Never Enough Money

Thanks, Dick. I've seen the Downdrafter. I'd pay $50 for it, not $300!
Like you, I'll build my own.

Dan

On Sat 26 Feb 2005 06:48:12a, "Keith" wrote in
:

Apart from the dust bag problem this is one heck of a saw, especially for
cutting wide moldings!

Yep. Same problem as my Bosch. What I can glean from research tells me
there just ain't any scms' out there that don't do that, but some are
better than others. Can't remember which.

If you've got money to throw at it, every review says the Rousseau 4500
DownDrafter add-on works great:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...1109526766/sr=
1-50/ref=sr_1_50/103-1131772-6344623?v=glance&s=hi

But I'm going to try making a hood like Dick is. Someday. For now I'll hook
up the shop vac to the outlet and sweep up dust every now and then. :-)

Dan