Default Lie Nielson Block plane adjustment

Hi,

Does the Lie Nielson Adjustable throat block plane have a Norris style
blade adjustment? If not how do you adjust the blade side to side? I
know that the Veritas block plane does have the Norris style of
adjuster and I am trying to compare the Veritas and Lie Nielson planes.

Thanks,
Peter

joey

wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi,

Does the Lie Nielson Adjustable throat block plane have a Norris style
blade adjustment? If not how do you adjust the blade side to side? I
know that the Veritas block plane does have the Norris style of
adjuster and I am trying to compare the Veritas and Lie Nielson planes.

Thanks,
Peter

It has no lateral adjustment. I use granite surface with paper under the
sole or eyeball it either works well for me. I'm pretty new to using planes
but I find I reach for the LN-140RH more than 60 1/2.
I'd suggest going to www.woodcenteral.com and search the hand tools archive
lotta really great info there on planes
Joey

AAvK

Hi,

Does the Lie Nielson Adjustable throat block plane have a Norris style
blade adjustment? If not how do you adjust the blade side to side? I
know that the Veritas block plane does have the Norris style of
adjuster and I am trying to compare the Veritas and Lie Nielson planes.

Thanks,
Peter

I have no comparison,

I have the Veritas labp and it is a great plane. The blade adjuster
sticking out the back as a knob moves the blade out of and back into
the mouth, it also skews the blade with a side to side movement.
Under the lever cap is the 110/120 style tightening wheel made of
brass, it is two pieced swivel so it will not skew the blade when in
use, and it does not.

It works quite excellent. The plane is heavy and thick and so is the
A2 blade. The machining is accurately perfect, the sole is perfectly
flat compared to a new Stanley and many used old ones that were
never tuned before use.

It is a modern design so it is not quite as classic looking as the
Lie-Nielson, but it is only a "look", no doubt designed on a computer.
I have no experience with any Lie-Nielson plane but I highly
recommend the Veritas considering features for price and the quality
of manufacture.

It was the folks in this NG that revealed Lee Valley and Veritas to
me, the same folks that recommended them, and I can only fully
agree.

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

George

wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi,

Does the Lie Nielson Adjustable throat block plane have a Norris style
blade adjustment? If not how do you adjust the blade side to side? I
know that the Veritas block plane does have the Norris style of
adjuster and I am trying to compare the Veritas and Lie Nielson planes.

Not sure what you're asking that the photographs don't answer.

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/tool.html?id=60_5

Jeffo

IMHO the L-N doesn't really need a lateral adjustment - there is little play
between the body and blade, and the clamping of the blade is rock tight
especially when compared to the old Stanley types. All an adjuster would do
is unnecessarily complicate it. To me the real difference between the two is
their width - Veritas is a 1 5/8" blade where as the L-N is the more
traditional 1 3/8". This makes for a narrower body, a more comfortable plane
to use, and better for small hands. Yes the L-N is ~$50 more, but over the
life of this plane I think it's better to find the one that will more than
less.

HTH,
Jeffo