Mr Fixit eh

Default "Plastic Wood" for melamine

I've been making up drawers for a shop cabinet out of melamine-faced
particleboard. I've had a little blowout from the brad nailer in a few
spots because I used too long of a brad.

Any suggestions for a cosmetic patch? I thought of using white
caulking, but is there anything better?

Mr Fixit eh

TaskMule

"Mr Fixit eh" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've been making up drawers for a shop cabinet out of melamine-faced
particleboard. I've had a little blowout from the brad nailer in a few
spots because I used too long of a brad.

Any suggestions for a cosmetic patch? I thought of using white
caulking, but is there anything better?

Mr Fixit eh

A good paint store may have melamine patching compound, specifically made
for this. Colors can be mixed to match any surface melamine comes in

Doug Miller

In article .com, "Mr Fixit eh" wrote:
I've been making up drawers for a shop cabinet out of melamine-faced
particleboard. I've had a little blowout from the brad nailer in a few
spots because I used too long of a brad.

Any suggestions for a cosmetic patch? I thought of using white
caulking, but is there anything better?

You betcha:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,190,42997

--
Regards,

Robatoy

In article .com,
"Mr Fixit eh" wrote:

I've been making up drawers for a shop cabinet out of melamine-faced
particleboard. I've had a little blowout from the brad nailer in a few
spots because I used too long of a brad.

That has NEVER happened to me, but if it had, I would have used a bit
of Bondo (white) autobody filler and white paint from the craftstore.
Peel away the chunkettes, and fill hole with filler. after it sets up,
wipe away stuff around the hole with laquer thinner, then use a
match-stick to dab a wee bit of paint onto the dried filler.... it flows
out nicely and dries to a similar finish as melamine...or so I'm told.

Unisaw A100

Google the words (name) Kampel SeamFil.

UA100

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 17:08:36 -0500, the inscrutable Robatoy
spake:

In article .com,
"Mr Fixit eh" wrote:

I've been making up drawers for a shop cabinet out of melamine-faced
particleboard. I've had a little blowout from the brad nailer in a few
spots because I used too long of a brad.

That has NEVER happened to me, but if it had, I would have used a bit
of Bondo (white) autobody filler and white paint from the craftstore.
Peel away the chunkettes, and fill hole with filler. after it sets up,
wipe away stuff around the hole with laquer thinner, then use a
match-stick to dab a wee bit of paint onto the dried filler.... it flows
out nicely and dries to a similar finish as melamine...or so I'm told.

Read all about it in Fine Bondoing Magazine, I suppose?

When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction. --Steven Wright
Mr Fixit eh

Sadly, when I called Lee Valley, they report that the white
particleboard filler has been discontinued and they are all sold out.

Kampel makes a 2-part epoxy called 'Woodfil' in white, and Famowood
makes a white wood filler.

Has anyone had experience with either of these products?

steve