Dave Hall

Default a bit of a gloat and needed guidance on dewalt cordless

Ok, through a quirk of fate I was recently given a set of new DeWalt 18
volt XR2 batteries and a charger. Problem is I don't have any DeWalt 18
volt tools - what to do, what to do. I know, buy some So I go
rummaging around on ebay looking for DeWalt 18 volt tools (specifically
a drill and a circular saw) and lo and behold there are a dizzying
array of models to choose from both new and used without batteries or a
charger. So I come before the wizened denizens of the group for some
guidance. In drills I saw a number of DW929s, DW959s, DW987s and DW998
hammer drills. It looks to me like the 929 has a cheaper chuck and may
even be only 3/8ths. The "Tim the Toolman" in me says OOOOh a hammer
drill, not knowing when or if I would ever use the hammer feature or if
it can be used as a normal drill/driver. I think I probably should look
toward the 959 or the 987 but don't know the details or pros/cons of
the two or any that I have left out.

Then to the saw. I noted DW934s, DW936s, DW939s, and DC390s. What's a
fellow to do? Based on it having a higher price and the pretty pictures
(not to mention a different numbering system than the rest), the DC390
looked "best" but I know nothing of the pros & cons of it or of the
rest (or appropriate price ranges).

Over all it looks like some juditious shopping could allow me to have a
decent DW drill & saw set for an affordable price. I know the XR2
batteries are less than the current XRPs, but I understand that the XR2
batteries will fit and run XRP branded units - does anyone know
otherwise?

Thanks for any guidance you can give.

Dave Hall

GregP

On 20 Feb 2005 18:20:52 -0800, "Dave Hall" wrote:

So I go
rummaging around on ebay looking for DeWalt 18 volt tools (specifically
a drill and a circular saw) and lo and behold there are a dizzying
array of models to choose from both new and used without batteries or a
charger. So I come before the wizened denizens of the group for some
guidance.

When I first saw these, I assumed that these are
from sets that were broken up to sell piece-by-
piece on eBay. Do standard DeWalt warranties
apply to these ?

Geoff M

I have a DeWalt 18v hammer drill. You are not going to drill big holes
or that quickly, but it has been really handy on occasion for drilling
6mm holes for rawlplugs, etc. Don't pay a lot extra for the feature,
but take it if it is free...
THe chucks are so-so, at least for the price the sell for here. A
freind put a chuck from a Metabo drill on his DW, and it is a far
better item
I also have the reciprocating saw (sawzall). Handy on occasion (such
as cutting ceiling battens when putting in grilles), but it eats
batteries and is limited in capacity. Handy, but a standard one would
be the first choice in most cases.
The battery connection and clips on the DW tools isn't that good. The
battery packs are heavy and they don't stand up that well for site
work. They also develop legs if you turn your back on them...
OTOH, for the price you (will) pay, it will be a gloatable gloat.
Geoff