Dave Hall

Default a bit of a gloat and needed guidance on dewalt cordless

Ok, through a quirk of fate I was recently given a set of new DeWalt 18
volt XR2 batteries and a charger. Problem is I don't have any DeWalt 18
volt tools - what to do, what to do. I know, buy some So I go
rummaging around on ebay looking for DeWalt 18 volt tools (specifically
a drill and a circular saw) and lo and behold there are a dizzying
array of models to choose from both new and used without batteries or a
charger. So I come before the wizened denizens of the group for some
guidance. In drills I saw a number of DW929s, DW959s, DW987s and DW998
hammer drills. It looks to me like the 929 has a cheaper chuck and may
even be only 3/8ths. The "Tim the Toolman" in me says OOOOh a hammer
drill, not knowing when or if I would ever use the hammer feature or if
it can be used as a normal drill/driver. I think I probably should look
toward the 959 or the 987 but don't know the details or pros/cons of
the two or any that I have left out.

Then to the saw. I noted DW934s, DW936s, DW939s, and DC390s. What's a
fellow to do? Based on it having a higher price and the pretty pictures
(not to mention a different numbering system than the rest), the DC390
looked "best" but I know nothing of the pros & cons of it or of the
rest (or appropriate price ranges).

Over all it looks like some juditious shopping could allow me to have a
decent DW drill & saw set for an affordable price. I know the XR2
batteries are less than the current XRPs, but I understand that the XR2
batteries will fit and run XRP branded units - does anyone know
otherwise?

Thanks for any guidance you can give.

Dave Hall