Jim L.

Default PAX dovetail saw

Will appreciate comments on the quality of the cut from the PAX rip dovetail
saw. Thanks, Jim

charlie b

Jim L. wrote:

Will appreciate comments on the quality of the cut from the PAX rip dovetail
saw. Thanks, Jim

Pretty much the same as the LN dovetail saw, but not as pretty,
the red handles are a little garish (sp?) I also have the PAX
tenoning saw - needed it to cut big dovetails for my bench.
I prefer a japanese dovetail saw - easier to get the cut started
though it doesn't cut as fast as a "western" push saw. That's
not necessarily a bad thing. With both the LN and the PAX I
found myself cutting passed the bottom of the sockets scribe
lines frequently.

You can pick up a decent japanese DT saw for about half
the price of the PAX and nearly a third the price of the LN.

And if you're getting tools for hand cutting dovetails, consider
getting some butt chisels. They're shorter and easier to
control while chopping out socket waste than the longer bench
chisels which work great for paring when you get to cleaning
things up.

Of course, a sharpening set up is also nice if you want to
avoid the grief that comes with doing dovetails with less
than sharp chisels.

charlie b