Brian In Hampton

Default Stacking question..

I am stacking about 300-350 bf of oak and want to bet the rec's insight. I
wood like to know if I should sticker all the small stuff (6-8" wide) first
and put the heavy boards on the top to help in keeping the other boards flat
when drying?? Heavy being 8/4 26" wide 11' long.

TIA........Brian

Sounds right - the thick stuff will dry slow, also slower to cup. But
someone also once told me it's best to reverse the stack once a year.

I've got a stack of 300+ bf black walnut in the shed. Second time I've
done it. First stack didn't check a bit. But it is very damp there, a
creek runs right by it. So it probably helps a lot if the humidity is
naturally high - get a real slow cure.

tf

George

"Brian In Hampton" wrote in message
I am stacking about 300-350 bf of oak and want to bet the rec's insight. I
wood like to know if I should sticker all the small stuff (6-8" wide)

first
and put the heavy boards on the top to help in keeping the other boards

flat
when drying?? Heavy being 8/4 26" wide 11' long.

TIA........Brian

Doesn't matter. If you want to weight the stack, you'll do it best with a
piece of stickered ply and bricks (or other lumber). What does matter is
stacking those boards with significant sapwood near the bottom, sapwood side
down, and maintaining good sticker registry. Since most sapwood-faced
boards are thin, maybe that's where the "advice" originated.

I 5-sticker 100" boards.

These folks have a lot of good information on stacking and stickering.
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/

Brian In Hampton

Thanks for the advice. About 95% of the wood is QS red oak...Brian

--
www.members.cox.net/bsnikitas
"George" george@least wrote in message

[...]

joeD

"Brian In Hampton" wrote in message
I am stacking about 300-350 bf of oak and want to bet the rec's insight. I
wood like to know if I should sticker all the small stuff (6-8" wide)
first
and put the heavy boards on the top to help in keeping the other boards
flat
when drying?? Heavy being 8/4 26" wide 11' long.

I would stack as far from your house as possible. These things seem to do
better if stacked near a road or driveway. Where do you live BTW? Exactly?

George

No sweat. Note, the QS will take longer to dry.

"Brian In Hampton" wrote in message
newsL1Sd.66887$jn.52441@lakeread06...
Thanks for the advice. About 95% of the wood is QS red oak...Brian

mac davis

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 00:13:50 -0500, "Brian In Hampton"
wrote:

I am stacking about 300-350 bf of oak and want to bet the rec's insight. I
wood like to know if I should sticker all the small stuff (6-8" wide) first
and put the heavy boards on the top to help in keeping the other boards flat
when drying?? Heavy being 8/4 26" wide 11' long.

TIA........Brian

After careful consideration, I think that you should send me that pesky 8/4
stuff that's causing the stacking problem..
As a loyal wRECk follower and all around nice guy, I'll make the sacrifice and
dispose of it for you, Brain..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Yale Electric Chain Hoist Question MP Toolman Metalworking 3 July 13th 04 08:24 AM
Question about using a router PoP UK diy 6 January 5th 04 01:20 PM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM