Jay Lotz

Default Rikon Band Saws -Good?/ Bad?

Just wondering if anyone has had experience with Rikon band saws. Looking
for a band saw and happened upon this brand the other day on a Google
search. http://www.toolcenter.com/rikon/10-320-14BS.htm
Jay

DL

Jay Lotz wrote:
Just wondering if anyone has had experience with Rikon band saws. Looking
for a band saw and happened upon this brand the other day on a Google
search. http://www.toolcenter.com/rikon/10-320-14BS.htm
Jay

I was at the Woodworking show yesterday and saw this and the 18"
version. I was impressed with the quality of the saws but did not see
them in action.

David

Leon

"Jay Lotz" wrote in message
Just wondering if anyone has had experience with Rikon band saws. Looking
for a band saw and happened upon this brand the other day on a Google
search. http://www.toolcenter.com/rikon/10-320-14BS.htm
Jay

Take a look here also. While Woodcraft is $20 higher, they have a 1 year
return policy in case it is not what you expected.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5217

Leon

"max" wrote in message
So why hasn't an owner stepped up to respond to any of these questions?
max

I suspect that no owner of a Rikon band saw participates in this news
group.

Allen

In article ,
"Leon" wrote:

"max" wrote in message
So why hasn't an owner stepped up to respond to any of these questions?
max

I suspect that no owner of a Rikon band saw participates in this news
group.

Well, I did look at on at Woodcraft in Towson MD today. They started it
and it seemed like a very smooth running saw. Nice fence and very nice
table. The only issue I have is the lack of ability to take a riser
block for more than about 6 inches of resaw capability.

Allen
Still three months from my final bandsaw decision to replace a 30 yo
Craftsman.
Leon

"Allen" wrote in message

Well, I did look at on at Woodcraft in Towson MD today. They started it
and it seemed like a very smooth running saw. Nice fence and very nice
table. The only issue I have is the lack of ability to take a riser
block for more than about 6 inches of resaw capability.

Allen
Still three months from my final bandsaw decision to replace a 30 yo
Craftsman.

I think I would go for the 18" model. Reasonably priced this month at 899
and maybe 10% more on the 24th.

Allen

In article ,
"Leon" wrote:

"Allen" wrote in message

Well, I did look at on at Woodcraft in Towson MD today. They started it
and it seemed like a very smooth running saw. Nice fence and very nice
table. The only issue I have is the lack of ability to take a riser
block for more than about 6 inches of resaw capability.

Allen
Still three months from my final bandsaw decision to replace a 30 yo
Craftsman.

I think I would go for the 18" model. Reasonably priced this month at 899
and maybe 10% more on the 24th.

They also said the 18" Jet would go on sale Thursday at $900. It seems
very nice. Comes with nice roller guides, solid fence etc.

Allen
Leon

"Allen" wrote in message
In article ,
"Leon" wrote:

"Allen" wrote in message

They also said the 18" Jet would go on sale Thursday at $900. It seems
very nice. Comes with nice roller guides, solid fence etc.

It is on sale for 899 for all of February.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5220

Leon

"Leon" wrote in message
news

It is on sale for 899 for all of February.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5220

Oups You said Jet.

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

max wrote:
So why hasn't an owner stepped up to respond to any of these questions?

Because I've only had it installed for less than a week and I haven't really
done more than a cursory test of it so far. What I've seen, I like. I was
impressed with the write up in Fine Woodworking, and impressed again when I saw
it in person at Woodcraft. It went together easily enough, though I think I got
screwed by the electrician on the installation of 22V service. (Can't blame
that on Rikon).

It's big, heavy and feels like quality. Setup was easy and supposedly swapping
blades is very easy, though I haven't done it myself yet. I've been in contact
with an outfit called BC Saw up in Canada that offers a 15% discount with the
purchase of four blades and a 25% purchase of ten blades; you can mix the types
to come up with the quantity for the discount.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Allen wrote:
I think I would go for the 18" model. Reasonably priced this month at 899
and maybe 10% more on the 24th.

They also said the 18" Jet would go on sale Thursday at $900. It seems
very nice. Comes with nice roller guides, solid fence etc.

My 18" Rikon also came with roller guides and a fence. Two 4" dust collection
ports, and internal brush to sweep the crap off the tires. What else do you
need? It'll resaw up to 12" and has a bigger table than the 18" Jet or Delta.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

TWS

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 23:22:10 -0500, "Jay Lotz"
wrote:

Just wondering if anyone has had experience with Rikon band saws. Looking
for a band saw and happened upon this brand the other day on a Google
search. http://www.toolcenter.com/rikon/10-320-14BS.htm
Jay

I just got the Rikon 18 inch, the 10-340, last weekend at Woodcraft.
I am writing a report on the experience and hopefully will have it
available by next weekend.

I got it on sale at Woodcraft for $899. I picked it up at our local
store.

The net is that I like it. It cuts smoothly and is a solid repeatable
tool. Having said that, it took a while to tune it and learn some of
its idiosyncrasies. In particular the blade tension adjustment, while
repeatable, takes some getting used to to set up. It also took a
while to align the table to the blade and the table is not as solid as
I would like.

I'll post more when I compile the report.

TWS
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 01:59:05 GMT, the inscrutable "Mortimer Schnerd,
RN" spake:

Allen wrote:
I think I would go for the 18" model. Reasonably priced this month at 899
and maybe 10% more on the 24th.

They also said the 18" Jet would go on sale Thursday at $900. It seems
very nice. Comes with nice roller guides, solid fence etc.

My 18" Rikon also came with roller guides and a fence. Two 4" dust collection

"Rikon"? Scooby Doo is selling cameras now?

-
If the gods had meant us to vote, they'd have given us candidates.
--------------
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming

Wes Stewart

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 22:00:18 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"Allen" wrote in message

Well, I did look at on at Woodcraft in Towson MD today. They started it
and it seemed like a very smooth running saw. Nice fence and very nice
table. The only issue I have is the lack of ability to take a riser
block for more than about 6 inches of resaw capability.

Allen
Still three months from my final bandsaw decision to replace a 30 yo
Craftsman.

I think I would go for the 18" model. Reasonably priced this month at 899
and maybe 10% more on the 24th.

Alas, per a call to the local store, the sale on the saw ends on
2/23/05. So you can buy it on sale for $899.99 'till then, or you can
wait until the 24th and buy it for $899.99. Your choice.

They look very nice but since I'm having surgery on my shoulder on
3/3, with a slight chance of a worse or no better outcome, I think
I'll wait so see whether I will stay in the WWing hobby before
spending any more dough.