joeD

Default Question about panels and thickness

SWMBO has commissioned me to build her the Cherry console in Woodsmith
#146. It calls for taking 1/4" cherry plywood and gluing them up back to
back to make side panels. Will a solid panel that is 6" x 23" x 3/8" split
over time if I use nice straight stock?

Leon

#146. It calls for taking 1/4" cherry plywood and gluing them up back to
back to make side panels. Will a solid panel that is 6" x 23" x 3/8" split
over time if I use nice straight stock?

If it is floating it should not be a problem.. However, it will not be a
thick as 2 1/4" panels glued back to back. Because the plywood is also used
on the back panels and you would be buying a sheet of cherry anyway, using
solid wood for the narrower side panels would be more expensive than simply
using the plywood.

#146. It calls for taking 1/4" cherry plywood and gluing them up back to
back to make side panels. Will a solid panel that is 6" x 23" x 3/8" split
over time if I use nice straight stock?

not if the panel is floating.
joeD

If it is floating it should not be a problem.. However, it will not be a
thick as 2 1/4" panels glued back to back. Because the plywood is also
used on the back panels and you would be buying a sheet of cherry anyway,
using solid wood for the narrower side panels would be more expensive than
simply using the plywood.

I just wish two pieces of 1/4" equaled 1/2". I just glued them up and they
are somewhere between 3/8 and 1/2.

The reason I asked is because I have lots of cherry that I got cheap awhile
back and the plywood I bought looked so pretty I didn't want to cut it
grin

Fence boundary question. Dave UK diy 13 November 25th 04 04:48 PM
hand planing a panel flat Dimit94844 Woodworking 5 November 2nd 04 12:47 AM
Roofing question - hot mop, insulation under bricks on flat roof Rick Cunningham Home Repair 1 July 23rd 04 03:37 PM
need suggestions on material thickness for case noel Metalworking 3 December 8th 03 03:40 AM
Since I don't have any plans...whatsa best way to secure desk'sback panel to side panels? (and other questions) Bay Area Dave Woodworking 6 August 28th 03 06:02 PM