Luigi Zanasi

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 00:54:53 +0000, Andy Dingley wrote:

What temperature is your workshop at ? I know some of you live in the
great white North of Leftpondia. How cold does it have to get in your
working space (not outdoors) before you give up and go indoors ?

Despite being not too far from the coldest (record: Snag YT, -81F,
3/2/1947) part of the Great White North of Leftpondia (Kanuckistan,
Silvan), it's never too cold to be in the shop. Note the numerous
discussions on the merits of various means of heating the shop we
Leftpondians constantly engage in.

So the answer is: the shop & tools are cold when you start, but gradually
warm up. 7-8C and above is quite confortable. But then, as we like to say,
it's a dry cold. Remember, it's not the cold, it's the humidity.

The coldest I've ever seen the shop was -20C when it was -47C outside.

I gave up on some profile bandsawing today - it was just too cold to
hold my fingers on the iron bandsaw table and accuracy was suffering.

You need (1) insulated coveralls (the LOML got me new ones for Christmas)
(2) a tuque and (3) gloves (either wool & thinsulate with open fingers and
a mitten cover or thin fleece (e.g
http://www.patagonia.com/za/PDC?OPTION=PRODUCT&merchant_rn=7385&sku=47831&ws=f alse).
The coveralls and tuque keep your body core and head warm and make it
easier for your body to send warm blood out to your fingers. You should
remove the gloves when working close to a rapidly whirling sharp object,
but bandsaws are OK.

I find it OK to work with power tools down to about -5C, but usually it's
not for very long as the shop is warming up. After an hour or two, I ditch
the coveralls.

--
Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email

Edwin Pawlowski

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
What temperature is your workshop at ? I know some of you live in
the great white North of Leftpondia. How cold does it have to get in
your working space (not outdoors) before you give up and go indoors ?

I gave up on some profile bandsawing today - it was just too cold to
hold my fingers on the iron bandsaw table and accuracy was suffering.

If it is down to 30 outside, I can heat up to 65 with ease. If it is much
lower, I can only hit about 50. That is close to my minimum except for
brief periods. If you want to do quality work, you need reasonable comfort.
I do very little in January and February unless we get a warm spell, like
tonight. I planed some wood tonight to see if it is work reclaiming. It
was and now I'll bring home the rest.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Doug Miller

In article , Andy Dingley wrote:
What temperature is your workshop at ?

Varies between approx 68 F in the winter and 72 F in the summer. 'Course, my
shop is in the basement of my house.
:-)

--
Regards,

Joe_Stein

I don't have a thermometer in my basement workshop. I do have a furnace
with a vent on the side in case it gets too cold, otherwise the vent
stays closed. In the winter I generally will have to wear a sweatshirt
down there. In the summer it gets damp (humid), so I'm running a
dehumidifyer and it's comfortable with just my teeshirt.

Joe

Andy Dingley wrote:
What temperature is your workshop at ? I know some of you live in
the great white North of Leftpondia. How cold does it have to get in
your working space (not outdoors) before you give up and go indoors ?

I gave up on some profile bandsawing today - it was just too cold to
hold my fingers on the iron bandsaw table and accuracy was suffering.

Silvan

Andy Dingley wrote:

What temperature is your workshop at ? I know some of you live in
the great white North of Leftpondia. How cold does it have to get in
your working space (not outdoors) before you give up and go indoors ?

I gave up on some profile bandsawing today - it was just too cold to
hold my fingers on the iron bandsaw table and accuracy was suffering.

It depends on what I'm doing, really. I have worked down to 40 F for brief
periods, but I like it to be at least 50 F if I'm going to be spending any
time out there at all. I have a small shop, and one little ceramic cube
has proven sufficient to get the temperature up to at least 45 F even
though it's only 10 F outside, and I can work at 45 F, barely.

Multiply everything by 9/13 times the cubed root of pork tenderloin or
whatever to convert to the degrees you and everyone else in the world use.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Ray V

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
What temperature is your workshop at ? I know some of you live in
the great white North of Leftpondia. How cold does it have to get in
your working space (not outdoors) before you give up and go indoors ?

I gave up on some profile bandsawing today - it was just too cold to
hold my fingers on the iron bandsaw table and accuracy was suffering.

Once it hits 280.3722222 kelvin I go inside. I have about 3 more weeks,
according to Phil, before I can get anything done. I work in a detached
garage with no heat source

http://www.onlineconversion.com/temperature.htm

--

Too much is not enough!
rvojtash NOT THIS at comcast (dot) net

joeD

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
What temperature is your workshop at ? I know some of you live in
the great white North of Leftpondia. How cold does it have to get in
your working space (not outdoors) before you give up and go indoors ?

I gave up on some profile bandsawing today - it was just too cold to
hold my fingers on the iron bandsaw table and accuracy was suffering.

I'm in New Jersey. It's about 44 when I go in, about 58 after about 6
minutes. I've got a nice 100,000 btu Modine shop heater that hangs from my
ceiling If I start a project I keep it at least 50 when I'm not in there
until everything is glued.

Dave in Fairfax

Andy Dingley wrote:
What temperature is your workshop at ? I know some of you live in
the great white North of Leftpondia. How cold does it have to get in
your working space (not outdoors) before you give up and go indoors ?
I gave up on some profile bandsawing today - it was just too cold to
hold my fingers on the iron bandsaw table and accuracy was suffering.

So, why'd you rule out the outside workers? Low snow and 30-40 is
just fine. I expect the guys up north think anything on the +
side is OK.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

Clint

I've been able to finally cut some wood in my shop, but it's un-insulated
and un-heated. So long as it's above freezing, it's not too bad. Can't wait
for spring, though!

Clint

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
What temperature is your workshop at ? I know some of you live in
the great white North of Leftpondia. How cold does it have to get in
your working space (not outdoors) before you give up and go indoors ?

I gave up on some profile bandsawing today - it was just too cold to
hold my fingers on the iron bandsaw table and accuracy was suffering.

Dan Valleskey

my problem is on the other side. I can heat my attached garag.....
er....... shop fine. Though when it hits zero outside, I dial back,
to save on the electric bill.

But I hate working out there in the Summer. I can not air condition
it easily.

-Dan V.

wrote:

What temperature is your workshop at ? I know some of you live in
the great white North of Leftpondia. How cold does it have to get in
your working space (not outdoors) before you give up and go indoors ?

I gave up on some profile bandsawing today - it was just too cold to
hold my fingers on the iron bandsaw table and accuracy was suffering.

Guess who

wrote:

What temperature is your workshop at ? I know some of you live in
the great white North of Leftpondia.

Yup. About -40 sometimes .... until I make the first few cuts wrong
that is, and warm up the old Quebec heater.

Truth is it's a bit chilly sometimes, but I dress for it, and it's not
all year round that bad. You catch it as it's thrown.

Greg O

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
What temperature is your workshop at ?

45F when I am not around, but I bump the heat up to 65F while working.
In the summer I turn on the AC when the heat or humidity gets to me!
Greg

Fly-by-Night CC

In article ,
Andy Dingley wrote:

What temperature is your workshop at ? I know some of you live in
the great white North of Leftpondia. How cold does it have to get in
your working space (not outdoors) before you give up and go indoors ?

I gave up on some profile bandsawing today - it was just too cold to
hold my fingers on the iron bandsaw table and accuracy was suffering.

When it gets down into the 30F's it usually devolves into a miserable
time. I often wear fingerless polarfleece gloves to take the chill off
handling the cast iron surfaces, but even then the cold creeps in after
an hour or so.

____

as 100% Americanism." -- Huey P. Long

Robatoy

In article ,
Andy Dingley wrote:

What temperature is your workshop at ? I know some of you live in
the great white North of Leftpondia. How cold does it have to get in
your working space (not outdoors) before you give up and go indoors ?

I gave up on some profile bandsawing today - it was just too cold to
hold my fingers on the iron bandsaw table and accuracy was suffering.

60 F.......I have to. My solid surface adhesives won't set up at lower
temperature. http://integra-adhesives.com/
75 F in summer, max. The adhesives will react too quickly at higher
temps. I turn on the central air in my shop. (A window unit in the
middle of the west wall, mounted in the centre.)

When I'm just fartin' around, between 45 and 85 is okay by me.
I cut the fingertips off at the first joint of a new pair of thinsulated
leather gloves. To stop the fraying of the liner I had the circumference
of the fingertips stitched by a cobbler. I take them off when using my
table saw. I cannot use a table saw with any kind of glovage... or
mittage even.
Nate Perkins

Andy Dingley wrote in
:

What temperature is your workshop at ? I know some of you live in
the great white North of Leftpondia. How cold does it have to get in
your working space (not outdoors) before you give up and go indoors ?

I gave up on some profile bandsawing today - it was just too cold to
hold my fingers on the iron bandsaw table and accuracy was suffering.

I give up at about 40 degrees, mostly because of the problems with gluing
and finishing.

Charlie Self

Owen, you're tougher than I am. Ol' Arthur acts up too much if it's
under 45 or so. I crank up a heater when it gets down there, but I do
go out and work before the shop is up to temp. In the winter, I figure
55-60 for a normal working temperature, except when gluing or
finishing. Then I bring it to 65 and hold it there or rising for an
hour or so before doing any work...but I claim that's for the sake of
the glue or finish.

I do have two window AC units. I dread using them unless absolutely
essential, cause in this area in July and August it doesn't take too
much to boost the electric bill over $100 a month. I'll be adding a
third unit this year, though, because those two are strainging to keep
it under 80 on some hot days.

Dave Jackson

Heck, I work outside for a living. I often come home and work in my shop.
If it's 45F in there, it feels like a heatwave lately, so i don't even
bother to turn on the heater, unless of course I'm gluing stuff
ogether. --dave

"Greg O" wrote in message

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
What temperature is your workshop at ?

45F when I am not around, but I bump the heat up to 65F while working.
In the summer I turn on the AC when the heat or humidity gets to me!
Greg

Andy Dingley

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 03:11:02 GMT, Dave in Fairfax
wrote:

So, why'd you rule out the outside workers? Low snow and 30-40 is
just fine

I don't need my fingertips when I'm working outside.

George

wrote:

So, why'd you rule out the outside workers? Low snow and 30-40 is
just fine

I don't need my fingertips when I'm working outside.

I feel I need my fingertips, therefore the tolerance for cold depends on the
task at hand. I can stuff boards through a planer at 0C, but I'd never try
scroll work at that temperature. If it distracts me at all, it's too cold,
and as Scarlet observed "tomorrow is another day."

Bob Martin

Andy Dingley wrote:
What temperature is your workshop at ? I know some of you live in
the great white North of Leftpondia. How cold does it have to get in
your working space (not outdoors) before you give up and go indoors ?

I gave up on some profile bandsawing today - it was just too cold to
hold my fingers on the iron bandsaw table and accuracy was suffering.

I can't work in my garage if outside temp is less than 10degC.
I can raise the air temperature with a fan-heater. but the concrete
floor stays very cold and soon my feet are frozen!

Every morning I check
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/ukweath...perature.shtml
and if southern England is blue or green I settle down to some programming!
Bob G.

wrote:

What temperature is your workshop at ? I know some of you live in
the great white North of Leftpondia. How cold does it have to get in
your working space (not outdoors) before you give up and go indoors ?

I gave up on some profile bandsawing today - it was just too cold to
hold my fingers on the iron bandsaw table and accuracy was suffering.

============================
I keep my shop Heated to 45 degrees and turn the furnace on
to get the tempature up to 65 or so when I am working out there...

In the Summer I set the a/c to maintain 83 and lower the temp to
70 something when I am working out there....

BUT if you read the threat on the cost of Cherry ...you will see I
am now suffered the Fixed Income Blues after reading what Lumber now
costs... so I may be hauling the glue up to the house next winter and
turning the furnace off... and lesarn how to open some windows in the
summer....

Bob Griffiths

mac davis

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 17:00:00 -0800, David wrote:

same here... I have the thermometer that we took from our RV.. has temp in
garage and out on patio..
Last night (after raining) was 60 in garage and 56 outside...
Anything under 48 or so just requires too many layers of clothes to be
comfortable or having to close the garage door, (usually covered by sheet
plastic sliding on rods), which I find claustrophobic..

Andy Dingley wrote:

What temperature is your workshop at ? I know some of you live in
the great white North of Leftpondia. How cold does it have to get in
your working space (not outdoors) before you give up and go indoors ?

I gave up on some profile bandsawing today - it was just too cold to
hold my fingers on the iron bandsaw table and accuracy was suffering.

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 02:21:26 +0000, Andy Dingley wrote:

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 20:36:51 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

I can work at 45 F, barely.

So wimping out at 40F (4°C) wasn't too bad then

I don't think so.. especially if you estimate what temperature the bare metal
saw table might have been..
It's just not safe to work with power tools when your hands are that cold..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Duane Bozarth

mac davis wrote:

...if you estimate what temperature the bare metal
saw table might have been..
It's just not safe to work with power tools when your hands are that cold..

The metal isn't any colder, it's just that heat transfer is much better
so it "feels" colder...

But I agree on the safety aspect. And, of course, there are no wood
glues I'm aware of that are below upper 40s for chalk temperatures so
there's a limit on what you can do anyway...
mac davis

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 00:59:13 -0500, Robatoy wrote:

snip
When I'm just fartin' around, between 45 and 85 is okay by me.
I cut the fingertips off at the first joint of a new pair of thinsulated
leather gloves. To stop the fraying of the liner I had the circumference
of the fingertips stitched by a cobbler. I take them off when using my
table saw. I cannot use a table saw with any kind of glovage... or
mittage even.

I had a cold (for Calif.) morning a few weekends ago.. it was about 42f at 8am..
I started to put a turning block on a bowl blank and for once in ages, actually
read the instructions to something... it seems that you shouldn't use Titebond
III if temp or material are not at least 45f..
I started wondering what the temp of the wood might be after a night in the
garage (frost warning the night before) and decided to hold off on the gluing..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Patriarch

Andy Dingley wrote in
:

wrote:

I can work at 45 F, barely.

So wimping out at 40F (4°C) wasn't too bad then

For me, there are technical issues and there are safety issues. If I find
myself having to 'think through' processes that should be second nature,
it's time to sweep up, and go inside.

Patriarch
Robatoy

In article ,
mac davis wrote:

[...]

That's one glue line you don't want to see fail. yikes
Most, if not all adhesives have an optimum temperature-range.... and I
believe those guys.
More on that he
http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/forums/adhesives.pl

0?0

Rob
Slowhand

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
What temperature is your workshop at ?

I'm comfortable with 55 degrees. 45 - 50 on cold days. Anything cooler
than that I'm worried about my glue setting up properly. Of course I have a
shop with a small woodstove for heat and 14' open ceiling so until I get my
ceiling fans installed and that furnace....
SH

Alfa

The temperature in my workshop today was 30 deg Celsius with humidity at
about 65%. Imagine working with a sweatband around your head that lasts for
about an hour before you have to replace it with another.

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
What temperature is your workshop at ? I know some of you live in
the great white North of Leftpondia. How cold does it have to get in
your working space (not outdoors) before you give up and go indoors ?

I gave up on some profile bandsawing today - it was just too cold to
hold my fingers on the iron bandsaw table and accuracy was suffering.

TeamCasa

Anything below 60F is miserable. If it gets over 80F I'll switch on the
A/C. Most days, the door is open and the sun is shinning!

SoCAL
Dave

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
What temperature is your workshop at ? I know some of you live in
the great white North of Leftpondia. How cold does it have to get in
your working space (not outdoors) before you give up and go indoors ?

I gave up on some profile bandsawing today - it was just too cold to
hold my fingers on the iron bandsaw table and accuracy was suffering.

http://www.usenet.com
George

"Alfa" wrote in message
The temperature in my workshop today was 30 deg Celsius with humidity at
about 65%. Imagine working with a sweatband around your head that lasts

for
about an hour before you have to replace it with another.

Imagine? That's August. Got to have that band or find rust on the cast
iron from a neglected drip.

Greg O

I work outside often too, North Dakota winters. Real fun working outside
when it is -20F and wind chill of -60F or so.
The shop is another story, no sense punishing myself, so I make sure it is
comfortable.
Greg

"Dave Jackson" wrote in message
ink.net...
Heck, I work outside for a living. I often come home and work in my shop.
If it's 45F in there, it feels like a heatwave lately, so i don't even
bother to turn on the heater, unless of course I'm gluing stuff
gether. --dave

"Greg O" wrote in message

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
What temperature is your workshop at ?

45F when I am not around, but I bump the heat up to 65F while working.
In the summer I turn on the AC when the heat or humidity gets to me!
Greg

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 00:54:53 +0000, the inscrutable Andy Dingley
spake:

What temperature is your workshop at ? I know some of you live in
the great white North of Leftpondia. How cold does it have to get in
your working space (not outdoors) before you give up and go indoors ?

I gave up on some profile bandsawing today - it was just too cold to
hold my fingers on the iron bandsaw table and accuracy was suffering.

I live in the Pacific Northwest, way warmer than GWN of Canuckistan,
but I live in a "shop with attached house." It's never under 60 or
over 78F in there. /neener

---
www.diversify.com Complete Website Development

George

"Greg O" wrote in message
I work outside often too, North Dakota winters. Real fun working outside
when it is -20F and wind chill of -60F or so.
The shop is another story, no sense punishing myself, so I make sure it is
comfortable.
Greg

Folks give me strange looks when they see my laptop wallpaper. A picture of
a Buff on alert, buttoned up against the snow, with the sentry walking his
circuit. I use it to remind me how things used to be worse. Not sure if it
was taken at Minot with the wind, or Sawyer for the snow, but I was
stationed at both....

mac davis

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:01:15 -0600, "Greg O" wrote:

I work outside often too, North Dakota winters. Real fun working outside
when it is -20F and wind chill of -60F or so.
The shop is another story, no sense punishing myself, so I make sure it is
comfortable.
Greg

My father-in-law's shop (Garrison, near Minot) is about the right temp to keep
beer frosty.. I think the wall thermometer said about 29 or 30f..

I don't know how he's managed to work wood in that temperature range for all
these years and still have all his body parts.. BRRRRRRR...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 18:12:40 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 00:54:53 +0000, the inscrutable Andy Dingley
spake:

What temperature is your workshop at ? I know some of you live in
the great white North of Leftpondia. How cold does it have to get in
your working space (not outdoors) before you give up and go indoors ?

I gave up on some profile bandsawing today - it was just too cold to
hold my fingers on the iron bandsaw table and accuracy was suffering.

I live in the Pacific Northwest, way warmer than GWN of Canuckistan,
but I live in a "shop with attached house." It's never under 60 or
over 78F in there. /neener

you KNOW that you're very close to the "you suck" level there, right? *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Silvan

George wrote:

"Alfa" wrote in message
The temperature in my workshop today was 30 deg Celsius with humidity at
about 65%. Imagine working with a sweatband around your head that lasts

for
about an hour before you have to replace it with another.

Imagine? That's August. Got to have that band or find rust on the cast
iron from a neglected drip.

Yup. Or even June. My shop has gotten up to about 60 on a freezing cold
but sunny day.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 08:39:20 -0800, the inscrutable mac davis
spake:

wrote:

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 00:54:53 +0000, the inscrutable Andy Dingley
spake:

What temperature is your workshop at ? I know some of you live in
the great white North of Leftpondia. How cold does it have to get in
your working space (not outdoors) before you give up and go indoors ?

I gave up on some profile bandsawing today - it was just too cold to
hold my fingers on the iron bandsaw table and accuracy was suffering.

I live in the Pacific Northwest, way warmer than GWN of Canuckistan,
but I live in a "shop with attached house." It's never under 60 or
over 78F in there. /neener

you KNOW that you're very close to the "you suck" level there, right? *g*

Ayup.

At times, though, I wish the shop were the house size. I need to get
rid of those wooden boxes, and the old compressor, and build cabinets
for my tools, ad nauseum. It's about time to build a finishing shack,
too.

---
www.diversify.com Complete Website Development