mac davis

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 07:32:19 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 08:39:20 -0800, the inscrutable mac davis
spake:

you KNOW that you're very close to the "you suck" level there, right? *g*

Ayup.

At times, though, I wish the shop were the house size. I need to get
rid of those wooden boxes, and the old compressor, and build cabinets
for my tools, ad nauseum. It's about time to build a finishing shack,
too.

umm hmm.. I keep trying to get the wife to agree to add the family room (one
doorway away) to the shop.. it would make a great finishing room..
and she does most of the finishing!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Lew Hodgett

Subject

Do all my woodworking outside on a year around basis here in SoCal.

Right about now, ducking the rain drops is a little higher priority than
sunshine.

It is raining as this is being typed, has been raining for 2 days,
forecast calls for rain evry day thru at least next Wednesday.

Time for rainy day activities.

Quack. Quack. Quack. Quaaaack.

Lew
Patriarch

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

snip

At times, though, I wish the shop were the house size. I need to get
rid of those wooden boxes, and the old compressor, and build cabinets
for my tools, ad nauseum. It's about time to build a finishing shack,
too.

I find that it's easier to get enthusiastic about expanding the facilities
when I actually finish a project.

But getting something done clears up shop space, and the apparent need is
reduced.

Patriarch,
hoping to move two projects out this weekend
Silvan

Dan Valleskey valleskey at comcast dot net wrote:

But I hate working out there in the Summer. I can not air condition
it easily.

Yeah, you said it. I know I already said it too, but I'm saying it again.
It's nothing for it to get hotter than 120 F out there in the *spring*.

I really need some windows or something. My fan just ain't cuttin' it, but
A/C is definitely not in the cards. Not enough power, and not enough room
in the panel for any new breakers, which also eliminates the possibility of
doing a subpanel. It would cost me a flat out fortune to put A/C in my
shop, and it's not worth it.

The only way I could justify it is to make some money at this stuff, but
when people want $187 worth of wood and $1 worth of glue and $30 worth of
hardware and 100 hours of labor for $100....

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Jim K

My shop is in the basement and is usually in the mid 50s in the
winter. But then again, I keep the house in the low 60s when I'm
home. Nice thing about Titebond III is that it's good to use down to
47. I did add a kerosene heater last month for the basement since it
rarely got into the teens outside and basement was approaching the 40s
which is a little cool even for me.

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 21:28:26 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

Dan Valleskey valleskey at comcast dot net wrote:

But I hate working out there in the Summer. I can not air condition
it easily.

Yeah, you said it. I know I already said it too, but I'm saying it again.
It's nothing for it to get hotter than 120 F out there in the *spring*.

I really need some windows or something. My fan just ain't cuttin' it, but
A/C is definitely not in the cards. Not enough power, and not enough room
in the panel for any new breakers, which also eliminates the possibility of
doing a subpanel. It would cost me a flat out fortune to put A/C in my
shop, and it's not worth it.

The only way I could justify it is to make some money at this stuff, but
when people want $187 worth of wood and $1 worth of glue and $30 worth of
hardware and 100 hours of labor for $100....

Silvan

mac davis wrote:

I live in the Pacific Northwest, way warmer than GWN of Canuckistan,
but I live in a "shop with attached house." It's never under 60 or
over 78F in there. /neener

you KNOW that you're very close to the "you suck" level there, right? *g*

No he's not. If that guy lived in the Pacific Northwest he'd have to be
entirely too close to Larry Jaques. That's no neener at all. I'm sure the
OP quoted above would agree.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Robert Bonomi

In article t,
Lew Hodgett wrote:

[[.. munch ..]]

It is raining as this is being typed, has been raining for 2 days,
forecast calls for rain evry day thru at least next Wednesday.

Time for rainy day activities.

Quack. Quack. Quack. Quaaaack.

I believe the obligatory comment is: "You duck!"

*groan*

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 02:17:16 -0500, the inscrutable Silvan
spake:

mac davis wrote:

I live in the Pacific Northwest, way warmer than GWN of Canuckistan,
but I live in a "shop with attached house." It's never under 60 or
over 78F in there. /neener

you KNOW that you're very close to the "you suck" level there, right? *g*

No he's not. If that guy lived in the Pacific Northwest he'd have to be
entirely too close to Larry Jaques. That's no neener at all. I'm sure the
OP quoted above would agree.

Pfffffffffffffffffffft! Spoilsport water heater installer.

P.S: The quote above with was my text.

"Boy, I feel safer now that Martha Stewart is behind bars!
O.J. is walking around free, Osama Bin Laden too, but they
take the one woman in America willing to cook and clean
and work in the yard and haul her ass to jail."
--Tim Allen
Duane Bozarth

Silvan wrote:

Dan Valleskey valleskey at comcast dot net wrote:

But I hate working out there in the Summer. I can not air condition
it easily.

Yeah, you said it. I know I already said it too, but I'm saying it again.
It's nothing for it to get hotter than 120 F out there in the *spring*.

I really need some windows or something. My fan just ain't cuttin' it, but
A/C is definitely not in the cards. ...

In TN, I had the shop in the garage and it was stifling--no windows, no
side door. I cut a couple of windows into the end wall and installed
blocking to hold to square window fans pointing out but so the windows
could still be closed....Pulled enough air through to at least keep it
habitable for not much bucks....
Silvan

Duane Bozarth wrote:

I really need some windows or something. My fan just ain't cuttin' it,
but
A/C is definitely not in the cards. ...

In TN, I had the shop in the garage and it was stifling--no windows, no
side door. I cut a couple of windows into the end wall and installed
blocking to hold to square window fans pointing out but so the windows
could still be closed....Pulled enough air through to at least keep it
habitable for not much bucks....

Yeahbut the only place I can put windows is where I just put all those new
shelves. Sigh.

Oh well. My shop is pretty much closed again anyway. No inspiration has
taken hold of me, and I have grown weary of sharpening and tuning and
cleaning things that I have no particular use for at the moment. The only
project I have in mind to do is a project that requires jiggage I can't be
bothered to build right now, so I'm kind of left empty and unmotivated.

Oh well, I'll get inspired eventually. I always do. In the meantime, I'm
going to stop wasting electricity keeping the lights above freezing out
there.