Dukester

Default Replacing parts of old planes

Is it possible to replace the lateral adjustment lever on an old (Sweetheart
vintage) Stanley #4 plane? Mine is loose - very loose compared to my other
older planes and does not really work because of this. It looks like it is
riveted in perhaps - it's definitely not a screw. How would one fix this?
Is it considered a no-no to do this?

Cheers!

Dave Jackson

If you cannot fix it, I have a few spare #4's for parts laying around. If
you know what type it is, and i have it, I'll send you another for the cost
of shipping. Here's a link to figure out which type it is:
http://www.hyperkitten.com/tools/sta...s_1_frame.html
--dave

"Dukester" wrote in message
Is it possible to replace the lateral adjustment lever on an old
(Sweetheart
vintage) Stanley #4 plane? Mine is loose - very loose compared to my
other
older planes and does not really work because of this. It looks like it
is
riveted in perhaps - it's definitely not a screw. How would one fix this?
Is it considered a no-no to do this?

Cheers!

Dave in Fairfax

Dukester wrote
Is it possible to replace the lateral adjustment lever on an old
(Sweetheart
vintage) Stanley #4 plane? Mine is loose - very loose compared to my
other
older planes and does not really work because of this. It looks like it
is
riveted in perhaps - it's definitely not a screw. How would one fix this?
Is it considered a no-no to do this?

Without arguing the merits of making a frankenplane, O'Deen wrote
up the procedure for driving out the old pin and replacing it a
while back. Why don't you DAGS for it rather than butcher the
plane.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 14:45:19 -0600, the inscrutable "Dukester"
spake:

Is it possible to replace the lateral adjustment lever on an old (Sweetheart
vintage) Stanley #4 plane? Mine is loose - very loose compared to my other
older planes and does not really work because of this. It looks like it is
riveted in perhaps - it's definitely not a screw. How would one fix this?
Is it considered a no-no to do this?

No, so put your nail set in the vise upside down, place the rivet
over it, and tap on the top of it. Check, tap, until you're satisfied.

And you might as well tune up the plane while it's apart, huh?

--
STOP LIVING LIKE VEAL